Rpgnow creditcard information stolen

Kem

First Post
hexgrid said:
Look at this way- I'm buying something from tinynicheshop.com, which I've never heard of before the google search I just did.

I can either give these people -who I know absolutely nothing about and have no reason to trust- my credit card number, or I can pay with paypal, which I've used literally hundreds of times in the past with no trouble at all.

I'll probably choose paypal. My own personal experience trumps message board horror stories.

But what fraud potection do you have?

I'm just curious as thats the thing that has always bugged me about paypal.

two

First Post
hexgrid said:
Look at this way- I'm buying something from tinynicheshop.com, which I've never heard of before the google search I just did.

I can either give these people -who I know absolutely nothing about and have no reason to trust- my credit card number, or I can pay with paypal, which I've used literally hundreds of times in the past with no trouble at all.

I'll probably choose paypal. My own personal experience trumps message board horror stories.

I don't understand this AT ALL.

If there is credit card fraud, if they rip you off somehow, you call up VISA/MC, report it, get your money back, and the perps get on the VISA black list. You lose nothing. They take care of the nasty stuff (VISA/MC/Etc.).

If you mess around with PayPal you give your financial information to an unregulated entity with apparently very poor hiring practices and which has already settled numerous class action suits from their bad business practices... and that's somehow a better idea than using VISA?

Let me put it this way. VISA guarantees you against loss by fraud. PayPal has no guarantee and there are many reports of fraud using information gained from within PayPal.

What am I missing here?

Where does PayPal say "we guarantee your money back in the case of easily-verified fraud?" Actually... they don't. VISA does, even in cases of hard-to-verify fraud.

?? Just confused.

http://www.oag.state.md.us/Press/2006/092806.htm

One of the many "cases" PayPal has lost, this one in Maryland.

Last edited:

starwed

First Post
Given that I have a debit card, it's probably much safer for me to use paypal. If I bothered to get a proper credit card, I'd be a lot less concerned about using it online, but with a debit card you don't have the same sort of built in protection.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Folks,

Let us remember something - all we have on either side is anecdotes. We don't have any actual data on rates of complaints or problems against PayPal, or straight out credit cards. Unless someone can come up with real data, I'm going to ask folks to agree to disagree, and drop the PayPal vs Credit Card argument.

By the way, many debit cards these days do have fraud protection, equivalent to a credit card. Check the terms of your particular card to know if you have protection.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well said Um.

Me, I'm not worried. It's not like I have that much money that any one would want! Honest! I'm practically broke.

*knows it's not the same as true broken-ness but darn close!* :p

Go steal from Bill Gates you silly people! :p

Remove ads