• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rpg's dieing out in our life time?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I read an unpublished early draft of H.G. Wells' The Time Machine, and in it, the whole Eloi vs Moorlocks thing is just a big 'ol LARP.

Windjammer

Adventurer
In a recent talk, Erik Mona (to the OP: head of Paizo, a mid field RPG publisher) said this - I paraphrase from memory:

Will the RPG industry go under?

Well, the actual number of products sold in the industry is ca. 10% compared to how much stuff (A)D&D
sold during the 80s. On the other hand, the cost to market, print, distribute, and even direct-sell your RPG product has decreased so much since the 80s that that is totally viable.

To the OP (using now my own words again): there is a trend across boardgames and RPG games currently which are cost-heavy in the (plastic) miniatures department. That trend is basically, 'the golden age is over'. In short, we're not going to see production heavy games like Dreamblade or Battlelore or even D&D Miniatures again, at least not soon. The economy was briefly able to sustain such product, but is no longer. Moving from wargames for the reasons you stated to either RPGs or boardgames at this point is basically jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. Case in point, the production quality of D&D books beyond the (beautiful! shiny!) cover has deteriorated over the past 3 years significantly.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I just do not see it. RPGs in computer games will probably last longer and that kind of gaming will get better as the games get more immersive and more complicated.

People will keep writing fantasy, Sci-fi and other kinds of books

And as long as computer games are out there, or there are books to be read, they will keep interest in pen and paper ones alive.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads