RPGs vs. Psychology: character sheets

howandwhy99

Adventurer
This is a new one to me. What are people looking at other people's character sheets for anyway? ;)

I agree. This isn't a cooperation game by default. Plus, I've always viewed Player Record Sheets and DM Screens as sort of the jedi lightsaber test of RPGs. There will certainly be some common elements between each person's sheet, but designing our own individual records is part of becoming a good player / DM.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I don't understand. Are you competing against your party members, or as a team against whatever is trying to blow up the world this week ?
Both options are available. The game begins with both options allowed, cooperate or compete, as it simulates the real world for performance of the role within. Roleplaying is always going to be an individual performance, so choosing whether to ally, ignore, or compete against others, whether PCs or NPCs, is an option open to every Player. It's what makes RPGs, or D&D at least, an interdependent game. It can be about cooperation and team building, or intra-party conflict and lone wolfing, or both at the same time.

EDIT: In my opinion cooperation and team work are often seen as the "real" way to roleplay as it is, 1. the most common and, 2. the strategy that will lead to greatest success for each Player involved. (the best way to stay alive, get more points, and more points faster is to team up)

Last edited:

Remove ads