D&D 5E Ruins of Symbaroum for 5E Kickstarter

Johnsson

Explorer
Thanks for your support guys, and for this post imagineGod! :)

Thanks to the backers, we are off to an amazing start, having unlocked all but one original stretch goal in less than 24 hours (and the final one well within reach). The most popular pledge level WARDEN OF DAVOKAR is starting to look real nice, even without the digital stretch goals!

SYM_5E_3_books_maps_gm-screen2.jpg

imagineGod

Legend
Thanks for your support guys, and for this post imagineGod! :)

Thanks to the backers, we are off to an amazing start, having unlocked all but one original stretch goal in less than 24 hours (and the final one well within reach). The most popular pledge level WARDEN OF DAVOKAR is starting to look real nice, even without the digital stretch goals!

View attachment 135505
Thanks for posting ENWorld.. You are one of the creative team. Out of curiosioly, is the core creative team on this particular project the traditional Fria Ligan team or the original Jarnringen team?

And will there be a section on TheIronPact website for the 5e rules explanations and new lore?

Johnsson

Explorer
You are one of the creative team. Out of curiosioly, is the core creative team on this particular project the traditional Fria Ligan team or the original Jarnringen team?

And will there be a section on TheIronPact website for the 5e rules explanations and new lore?

Yes, I am Mattias Johnsson Haake - Game Director of Symbaroum, also one of its co-creators, lead writers and editors. I am part of the 5E team but only as editor and project manager, and the same goes for my colleague (co-creator and rules designer) Mattias Lilja. The heavy lifting on Ruins of Symbaroum 5E is done by Jacob Rodgers, best known for his work of Adventures in Middle Earth - and a super nice, and super competent guy at that! :)

As for the second question, you have to reach out to the marvelous Paul Baldowski who started and runs The Iron Pact site. It is a fan page that we do not interfere with.

imagineGod

Legend
So many maps have been unlocked, that the physical tier is looking so gorgeous.
  • Ambria Region map
  • Thistle Hold and Blackmoor map
  • Yndaros and Karvosti map
  • Kastor and Salindra's Hole map
  • Ravenia and Prios' Pass map (on the way to get unlocked)

dnd5e_ruins_of_symbaroum.gif

Jaeger

That someone better
Yes, I am Mattias Johnsson Haake - Game Director of Symbaroum, also one of its co-creators, lead writers and editors. I am part of the 5E team but only as editor and project manager, and the same goes for my colleague (co-creator and rules designer) Mattias Lilja. The heavy lifting on Ruins of Symbaroum 5E is done by Jacob Rodgers, best known for his work of Adventures in Middle Earth - and a super nice, and super competent guy at that! :)

As for the second question, you have to reach out to the marvelous Paul Baldowski who started and runs The Iron Pact site. It is a fan page that we do not interfere with.

I'm going to shamelessly take advantage, and ask a question that you might be in a position to answer, or get an answer to...

I am Very interested in this Kickstarter, but I am hesitating due to the issue I have with how the 5e Adventures in Middle Earth conversion was done.

My Issue with AiME: It kept D&D's Hit Point bloat.

The continual expansion of HP in D&D always creates scaling issues. AiME kept the HP increase for every level, and I thought it really broke the game out of the Tolkien mould, and introduced the D&D play paradigm onto a setting that it is not suited for. (I have the same issues with the old mongoose d20 Conan game.)

In looking at this nice rundown of the original Symbaroum system:

Will the 5e conversion of Symbaroum keep the Low, mostly Fixed Hit Points?

I really hope so. I will try and make my case...

IMHO by not introducing D&D HP bloat, it flattens the system Math which would make it much easier to translate everything else over to a d20 roll-high system. I think that the HP would have to be a bit higher in the 5e conversion to account for the damage reduction that the original system uses. But I'm sure that is something that can be roughly calculated. (If I had to eyeball it I would guess something like Con + class hit die; which would put the HP for most PC's in the range of 18-30)

Classes and levels need not change overmuch otherwise. After all a Level is just another way to do Advancement. There is no inherent reason why Hit Points have to increase with every level in class and level based games.

The PC will still get more Class abilities, Feats, and higher Proficiency bonuses - they will get measurably more powerful. But because of the more or less Fix HP totals they will always have a certain vulnerability to all the creatures in the Symbaroum world. This should be seen as a feature not a bug. They will become more competent Hero's, but the "Fantasy Superhero" effect of high level D&D HP bloat will not be there to break the tone of the setting.

Anyway, I have said my piece. I thank you for your patience and indulgence.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases