• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rule Zero?

Rule Zero?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
How strongly should the new edition stress Rule Zero (that the rules are guidelines that the GM should feel free to nix in any given situation)?

Raith5

Adventurer
The DM needs to be able interpret the rules in a given situation (and change the rules with consensus of the group - houserule) but I dont agree that the DM should feel free to randomly or arbitrarily ignore rules.

Elf Witch

First Post
It is very important. DMs need to be able to adjust the rules to fit their campaign and players. Rules should not get in the way of fun.

Elf Witch

First Post
The DM needs to be able interpret the rules in a given situation (and change the rules with consensus of the group - houserule) but I dont agree that the DM should feel free to randomly or arbitrarily ignore rules.

Rule zero is not about randomly or arbitrarily changing the rules. It is giving the DM freedom to change or eliminate rules or even add them to make his campaign be the way he wants.

And any smart DM lets his players know the changes before just springing them on them.

foolish_mortals

First Post
I always liked it when our DM threw the books aside and said screw it. For this encounter were using 8 sided dice instead of 20. Those were the times, kept us on our feet. One time we wore Gary Gygax t-shirts for a session. That wasn't part of the rules either. Sometimes I've thought it best if the players knew almost nothing about the stupid rules. Let's get together and roleplay and occasionally role some dice.

rules can be stupid,
foolish_mortals

Raith5

Adventurer
And any smart DM lets his players know the changes before just springing them on them.

Agree. I just dont agree with the "any given situation" part of the question. Discussions about Rule Zero need to emphasise the collaborative relationship that DMs need to have with their players.

modeminitstring

First Post
This is all well and good...

I think rule zero is the absolute core to every single game I have ever ran or will run. Whether or not it is explicitly or implicitly in the rules, or forbidden by the rules, makes no difference. I will choose what is good, ignore what is bad, and if I get called out breaking or bending a rule, I own it.

I will acknowledge mistakes, but I will also make house rules clear.

Remove ads