Rules Aren't Important

MGibster

Legend
Exactly. It’s like people forget their first few games where anything goes and everyone has a blast regardless of the rules. Instead what we get is people acting like their fond memories are of flipping through the book making sure all the Ts are crossed and Is dotted.
My favorite game isn't Ledgers & Charts for no reason.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
A clock in Blades isn't some completely abstract thing with no mechanics attached. The players have a lot of leeway about how to approach the problem (the clock) but it's mechanically defined. It's always X roll with Y success reduces the clock by Z.

Reynard

Legend
A clock in Blades isn't some completely abstract thing with no mechanics attached. The players have a lot of leeway about how to approach the problem (the clock) but it's mechanically defined. It's always X roll with Y success reduces the clock by Z.
But does it matter? Does it actually matter in play whether the ogre is a clock or is a bag of hit points? I don't think it does, except insofar the bag of hit points has a more narrowly defined set of applicable mechanically discrete PC abities that can be leveraged. Which really just shrinks the game. But otherwise, it's still some re that says some number of appropriately high dice rolls overcome the obstacle. So from that perspective @overgeeked is right: the (specific) rules don't actually matter.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
But does it matter? Does it actually matter in play whether the ogre is a clock or is a bag of hit points? I don't think it does, except insofar the bag of hit points has a more narrowly defined set of applicable mechanically discrete PC abities that can be leveraged. Which really just shrinks the game. But otherwise, it's still some re that says some number of appropriately high dice rolls overcome the obstacle. So from that perspective @overgeeked is right: the (specific) rules don't actually matter.
Of course it doesn't. I was just saying it is mechanically defined. (y)

Remove ads