D&D 5E Rules: Can you take a bonus action while casting a ritual spell?

By RAW it seems like you can as the PHB only says you need to spend your action each turn casting the spell. It also requires you concentration to cast a ritual. But basically, can you use a bonus action, for example, to direct an unseen servant to do something, while in the middle of casting a ritual spell? (Or attack someone with a spiritual weapon while casting a ritual spell?)

Esker

Hero
Yes, I don't see why not. It's just like if you were maintaining concentration on any other spell that used your action each round (Witch Bolt, Crown of Madness, Call Lightning,...).

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I don’t see why not.

Imagine if for some reason, you wanted to cast a ritual during combat. Each turn for 100 turns, you would need to use your action to cast the ritual, and you would need to concentrate for all 100 turns. But in the mean time, there’s no rule preventing you from using your bonus action on something else, provided it doesn’t require concentration and isn’t a spell other than a cantrip. I think the same should be true out of combat.

Li Shenron

Legend
Mmm... It's never come up but my instinct says NO (spells).

It's not because of concentration but because you cannot cast another spell in the same turn when you are casting a spell with a bonus action, unless it's a cantrip (not sure if any cantrip ritual exist).

It is all a bit iffy since you are supposed to cast rituals out of combat where there are no turns or actions anyway.

Last edited:

Esker

Hero
Hmm, so does every turn during which you are casting the ritual count as casting a spell and thus prohibit you from casting bonus action spells?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I agree that you can certainly take certain bonus actions, but you shouldn't be able to cast another spell (even with a bonus action casting time) while casting a ritual spell.

Li Shenron

Legend
Yeah I don't think it counts as casting only on the first turn

Hmm, so does every turn during which you are casting the ritual count as casting a spell and thus prohibit you from casting bonus action spells?

LONGER CASTING TIMES
Certain spells (including spells cast as rituals) require more time to cast: minutes or even hours. When you cast a spell with a casting time longer than a single action or reaction, you must spend your action each turn casting the spell, and you must maintain your concentration while you do so

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
^ snipe

Yeah, you are spending each turn casting.

In full:

1583080062784.png

Esker

Hero
Yeah, I guess that's the most direct reading of the text as written.

So you can't cast spiritual weapon once you've started the ritual, though you could have cast spiritual weapon prior to starting the ritual, and use your bonus action to attack with it. You could also use your bonus action to direct an unseen servant, or give instructions to some skeletons you've animated, etc.

Remove ads