Pathfinder 1E Rules for catching a Returning Dagger.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
You could snatch it with the Snatch Arrow feat, and even throw it back in the same round, but a returning dagger always returs to the wielder regardless if you keep it or not.

It's a nifty idea though, and some DM's may even use the Rule of Cool to let you.

radja

First Post
yeah, i'd use the rule of cool. If you want to keep the "returning" intact, i.e. it always returns to the thrower, you could rule that the character cannot keep hold of the dagger for long... just enough to direct it back to the thrower with some extra power.

"You want your dagger back? Here's your dagger back... in your face! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Kinak

First Post
I'd let a player ready an action to Steal the dagger. For ease, I'd probably use the attacker's CMD to defend against it.

There are a few other ways to disrupt it also, if you look at the returning description. I personally hadn't realized forced movement could disrupt it, so that's a new one on me.

Cheers!
Kinak

Tharkon

First Post
It doesn't actually teleport back, and I can't imagine the returning force would be so strong that it would drag a creature with it.

If you are being really picky you could call for an opposed Strength check and give the dagger a bonus equal to half it's caster level, which is +3, unless the dagger has other enhancements.
Or alternatively, since returning is effectively the telekinesis spell in item form, a Will save (DC 17) and/or SR (CL 7), since telekinesis allows those for attended objects.
Now that I see it I am actually confused about a 5th level spell being used in a CL7 item, since no 7th level caster would be able to cast such a spell.

Starfox

Hero
Returning weapons only return at start of the thrower's next turn. It is thus quite easy to just pick up the dagger. What happens then is anybody's guess; the weapon ability does not expect this to happen.

IMO, returning needs to be much faster, returning immediately after every throw to be a worthwhile ability. Just for comparison, in 4E, all magic weapons were automatically instant-returning.

Woundweaver

Explorer
You could snatch it with the Snatch Arrow feat, and even throw it back in the same round, but a returning dagger always returs to the wielder regardless if you keep it or not.

It's a nifty idea though, and some DM's may even use the Rule of Cool to let you.

But if you snatch arrow feat and throw it back it should return back to the snatcher at the beginning of snatcher's next turn. After all the returning ability works for the snatcher.

Starfox

Hero
Considering the odd timing of the return, it coulod actually return to severalpeople in the same fight

A throws it at B
B picks it up and throws it at C
C picks it up and throws it at B
A's next turn begins, weapon returns to him, he throws it at B
B's net turn begins, but the weapon is already with him. Still, it flies into his hand. He does not throw it, instead bull rushes C.
C's turn begins. Weapon returns to his last position, where B is now standing. It lands at his feet. C does something else
A's turn begins. Weapon returns to him.

And so on, ad nauseum

Also, if you throw the weapon as a standard action, then moves away using a move action, I suppose the weapon returns to where you threw it from.

This is all so stupid; I say it returns at once and can be thrown again as an iterative attack. So much simpler and clearer and maybe actually worth it.

Woundweaver

Explorer
I agree, in my campaign it returns in time for iterative attacks, but a snatch arrow feat breaks the return ability. Many feats "break" the rules and I see no reason why this one shouldn't in this limited context especially considering it is the second feat in a chain and its entire purpose is to catch and throw back items.

Remove ads