• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules for running a taver/inn?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I'd come up with interesting situations and encounters that would be tavern/inn centered and start by making that the basis of the campaign - at least while the PC is actively taking a hand in running the establishment (before he goes off to adventure, leaving a trusted manager home to mind the bar).

I'd base my handling of the business of the bar on the description of the Profession skill in my 3.5 PH (or the 3.5 SRD), and largely wing it with ideas that feel reasonable and draw a lot on what I remember of Quark's bar on DS9, Cheers, and the stories of my aunt and uncle (who used to own a bar).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Does anyone know of any guidelines out there for PCs owning a tavern/inn?

Running a tavern or inn is a full-time occupation. If you expect these guys to spend most of their time having adventures, their establishment is going to fail if they don't hire a quality manager for the place.

If they hire a quality manager, then you don't need much in the way of guidelines, as the players have now delegated the mechanics into NPC land. Decide how much they should get in profit, in general, and then use the place as a plot hook or setting.

Papercut

First Post
Check out the Haunted Highlands DB1 from Troll Lords. It has a fully fleshed out tavern along with bar games such as bar knuckle boxing (including gambling rule), darts, NPCs, and various other fun bits. It is for C&C but it shouldn't be too hard to port it over to 4e, actually it is a great setting in general.

Arnwyn

First Post
Does anyone know of any guidelines out there for PCs owning a tavern/inn?
There are two excellent options:

1) "Ill Gotten Gains" - Dragon #268. Rules for - you guessed it - running inns and taverns (and other businesses). A great article.

2) Running A Business (Chapter 6 of the DMG II)

Remove ads