D&D 5E Rules Question - The interaction between Str (Athletics) checks, movement and actions. Does Swimming take an Action?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Climbing rigging in a typhoon while under attack from a dragon would likely eat actions. :D
I would agree it would tend to do so - but not because making the check takes an action. Rather, the issue of failing some of those checks plus the desperate need to make progress probably means the character is taking Dash actions to increase his ability to move farther when he does succeed.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
In a fairly normal circumstance, even when a check is required (such as climbing), it won't eat into your actions. It might in extreme circumstances. Climbing rigging on a ship wouldn't need a check normally. Climbing rigging in a strong wind probably would need a check (with a fairly low DC) but not eat an action. Climbing rigging in a typhoon while under attack from a dragon would likely eat actions. :D
The actions list doesn't include "make a check." So a "check" can't "eat into your actions."

If doing some difficult moving prevents a character from doing other things, it's because that movement (which is doubled or tripled due to difficulty) took the PC's entire allotment for one round, and the PC decided to use the Dash action to get more movement allowance during its turn.

Peter BOSCO'S

Adventurer
If you can swim, you can swim.

Fully clothed or not, you can tread water, even after unexpectedly falling off a boat or getting thrown into a pool or whatever.

You dont need a check for that any more than you need one to climb a ladder.
Why do you assume that you don't need a check to climb a ladder? I am not aware of any 5e rule explicitly saying that you do not and I not only know people who have fallen off of ladders I've even done so myself. I'd call it a DC 5 Athletics check, with advantage if both your hands are free, and use the fail by 5 or more to actually fall but a fail by 1-4 points means no movement guideline.

Why do you assume that you don't need a check to climb a ladder? I am not aware of any 5e rule explicitly saying that you do not and I not only know people who have fallen off of ladders I've even done so myself. I'd call it a DC 5 Athletics check, with advantage if both your hands are free, and use the fail by 5 or more to actually fall but a fail by 1-4 points means no movement guideline.

What?

Those rules mean that 20 percent of all healthy adult humans (Str 10) cant climb a ladder over the course of 6 seconds.

The DM only ever calls for an ability check when a character or monster attempts an action has a reasonable chance of failure. Climbing a ladder or a knotted rope (unhurried, and with no other unfavorable circumstances) has no reasonable chance of failure for an adult human in good health.

Ladders didn't even have a DC in 3.5 (it was just automatic), and knotted ropes with a wall to brace on were DC 0. Considering you could 'Take 10' on such checks, success was guaranteed, but even if you had to roll (on account of being chased or whatever) an adult human in good health, just succeeds.

Remove ads