D&D 5E Running a Business Revisited (D&D 5e)

NotAYakk

Legend
Having Venture of some kind, be it a sailing ship (or airship!), a castle, a tavern, a church, or a thieves merchants guild or whatever, is a pretty classic D&D thing.

I, for one, would appreciate simple rules that let me generate a reasonable set of events occurring in the Venture.

I think the stats should be knobs that the DM can turn to describe the Venture.

Capital (measured in 1000s of gp)
  • The bad event for Capital is it takes damage.
  • Each point of damage gives you a -1 penalty to your Venture roll
  • Repairing damage requires officers dedicated to repair.
Crew (Has morale)
  • Morale varies from 0 to 6. Gives a bonus to Venture rolls.
  • Every 10% over or under crewed gives a -1 penalty to Venture rolls.
  • Each Officer dedicated to replacing Crew can recruit 1d8 Crew per week.
Officers (Has skill)
  • They have a collective skill that varies from 0 to 6. This gives a bonus to Venture rolls.
  • Base number is what is required to run the Venture; every officer you are short (dedicated to something else) gives a -1 penalty to Venture rolls.
  • Extra Officers cost 50 gp/month.
  • An officer can spend a week recruiting another officer; roll 1d20+officer proficiency. 1-5: None found, 6-15: Inferior, can hire but Officers lose 1 skill point if you do (nobody is found if your officer skill is currently at 0). 16+: Acceptable hire, nat 20: Exceptional hire, gain +1 officer proficiency.
Yield (Has opportunities)
  • What you get out of it in a month.
  • Some Ventures produce gold.
  • Some Ventures convert gold into something else:
** Frontier keep converts gold into settlement capital
** Wizard's lab converts gold into magical research (including items)
** A Shrine converts gold into piety (which ... could include getting blessed items)

A given Venture has a Capital, Crew, Officer and Yield properties.

On the DM's side, the Crew/Officers/Capital should be used to calculate a reasonable Yield.

Each month you should roll for Capital Damage (wear and tear), Crew and Officer loss (death or quitting), and a Venture roll.

Still too complex. I think it needs to be more story facing, and less simulationist. Hurm.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
There should be a way to improve Quality over time - reinvesting GP, or a PC spends Downtime on "training the staff", or locating an Expert (skilled worker but better, and only sticks around for X time) in the field.
"Yeah, we're a tiny little coffee shop. We are also the only place with Gourmet Blend."

Stalker0

Legend
Now normally I hate it when a person posts there houserules and people's immediate response is "just use my house rule xyz".

However, I know how tricky these rules can be to make....and I actually created an entire set of rules for a business focused campaign I did a few years back. It may be too much for what you are going for, but maybe a portion of it would be interesting to you. I think your rules can work with some tweaking (see my notes above) but if you do want to go more "in-depth" here is something you might use.

If you do like it but find some parts confusing, give me a ring and I'll explain them. I wrote the document for myself, not for "prime time", so I may not have explained certain concepts well enough for a person reading it the first time.

Attachments

• Business Rules Final.docx
    21.4 KB · Views: 378
  • Business Slots Example.docx
    15.7 KB · Views: 216

Remove ads