Running a Business Revisited (D&D 5e)

We just finished Dragon Heist and the player characters have thousands of gold to spend. Not only do they have Trollskull Manor open for business as a tavern, but they're looking to buy a ship and invest in other businesses. There are rules for this in Dragon Heist and in the Dungeon Master's Guide, but I wanted to add a little risk and flavor. I want each business to feel a little different, but I don't want to slow down the game or shift the focus away from adventuring. So here's a few homebrew rules I've been working on to handle the month-to-month game of running a business in D&D. The thing I'm especially trying to go for is an elegant system that makes the monthly maintenance cost both a liability and an asset (as a limit to how much one can benefit from investing in the business).

toucanbuzz

Adventurer
You may find the Pathfinder Ultimate Campaign Guide on running businesses to be useful. Since it was a mini-game, there's little conversion needed from its 3rd edition style. Its free online rules don't have all the details (e.g. the random event charts for your alchemy shop or thieves' guild), but it's plenty already.

Otherwise, looks like your off to a good start.

Zardnaar

Legend
You may find the Pathfinder Ultimate Campaign Guide on running businesses to be useful. Since it was a mini-game, there's little conversion needed from its 3rd edition style. Its free online rules don't have all the details (e.g. the random event charts for your alchemy shop or thieves' guild), but it's plenty already.

Otherwise, looks like your off to a good start.
I have that, the DMG2 from 3E and a 3pp Ultimate Campaign guide.

They want to run a beer exporting business from not Egypt.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Matt Coleville's Strongholds and Followers provides fun and easy to run rules for maintaining taverns, temples, and such.

Eltab

Adventurer
3e Power of Faerun may inspire creativity. There is a chapter on Merchant Princes building up a business conglomerate.

Acquisitions Inc has some rules for running a business. I had a hard time getting through the 'atmosphere' of the campaign to see if the mechanics are good bad or indifferent.

NotAYakk

Adventurer
I want to write Enterprise rules.

In a sense, enterprises have some amount of Capital, and this grows/shrinks relatively randomly. Investing increases the Capital; divesting inefficiently turns it into cash.

Events should be adventure hooks. These can be problems or opportunities. Following these hooks is a reliable way to grow it/prevent it from shrinking.

Enterprises can be a castle, thieves guide, inn, bar, trading ship, bribery scheme, conspiracy to overthrow a king, school of magic, church, forest, farm, tinker's lab, or anything.

Enterprises can have or gain properties. Like provide an adventuring companion or companions, consumable magic items, boosts to certain skill checks, influence the world narrative, etc.

Basically, a bit more abstract.

This looks good. And it is timely, since we are starting our very first downtime session possibly tomorrow. (It depends on how long my players take to make it back to town/finish up all the odds and ends from their quest.

Advertisement