• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running a city/kingdom?

Baramay

First Post
I am looking for a good source for running a kingdom or city. PCs need to evaluate; the loyalty of nobles, resources available, treaties and trade agreements, where taxes come from and go, how many troops to keep, and how to replace those that have fallen in battle. I am looking for something that is compatible with 3rd edition DnD prices. Help pointing me in the right direction or just good ideas would be greatly appreciated.

moritheil

First Post
Baramay said:
I am looking for a good source for running a kingdom or city. PCs need to evaluate; the loyalty of nobles, resources available, treaties and trade agreements, where taxes come from and go, how many troops to keep, and how to replace those that have fallen in battle. I am looking for something that is compatible with 3rd edition DnD prices. Help pointing me in the right direction or just good ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Try Birthright.

Since Exalted is in the news now, I suppose I should point out that it has mechanics for that sort of thing, but the resource levels are very inexact, as it is a WW product.

S'mon

Legend
Birthright is pretty complicated; Fields of Blood is extremely complicated but if you want a game focused on technicalities of realm administration it seems well designed.

Personally I like the simple Dominion rules in Frank Mentzer's BECMI Companion Set, republished in the D&D Rules Cyclopedia.

Aholibamah

First Post
Also check out Lythia.com for stuff from Harnmaster, or go to Chaosium to look at products for Pendragon, which has a good system btw that maybe covers 4 pages of a normal sized rulebook for dealing with incidents in pc run lands, marriages, judgements, revenues and so on.

I can't think of a product anywhere that covers this in any depth though I admit to spotty experience with the d20 field.

What, may I ask, do you want this for? Are your players asking for it, or is this for your own benefit? If the latter, I think you'll spend a lot of time on this for little gain at the tabletop. If you like this sort of detail though, then a tabletop reward isn't what you're seeking of course. :)

Treebore

First Post
Magical Medievel Society Western Europe by Expeditious Retreat Press will go a LONG way towards helping you flesh this all out, in great detail.

Especially if you also buy their Silk Road book. Plus their Ecologies and Cultures book.

Not to mention Nations Builder by Troll Lord Games. May as well as get World Builder while your at it.

AEG's Tool Box works well in conjunction with these books.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads