• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

running a diplomacy encounter.

krupintupple

First Post
simply put, anyone offer up any tips on attempting such a thing? as a tad of backstory, some good aligned PCs of roughly 10th level are accosted by a group of druids and forest-folk who are collectively 7th level, but number more. the latter dislike the former and ask why they're on their land, etc. worst of all, the heroes number two obvious wizard-types (making the druids suspicious) and a reformed drow (a race that many of the forest-kin loathe). basically, the druids/forest team are neutrally aligned, but dislike trespassers, and aren't fond of the mages or drow, and i'd honestly like to see how the heroes (two of which have very competitive ranks in diplomacy, bluff and intimidate) could "get out" of this one, without it turning into a druid-massacre.

thoughts?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Are you a player or DM of this game? If you are a player, can you expound on your own particular character? If you are the DM, are you looking for opportunities to present to the players/characters?

krupintupple

First Post
sorry, i should've been a little clearer:

i'm the DM, and typically run more of a hack-n-slash game, but was wondering what, in general, DMs who run more cerebral, diplomacy-based encounters have found works, or doesn't work.

and yes, opportunities, or really anything would be appreciated.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
It would help to outline what it is that the NPC group might want, from anybody, and just how far they might be willing to ignore their hatred of those particular PCs to gain what they want. If the Druids are isolationists, they might like the idea of a buffer between them and others. A wall, some ring or line of communities, that helps to isolate them might be a negotiable element or offering. Those of Neutral alignment might well believe any oath given by some who is believed or known to be Good, so even if the PCs have nothing tangible, they might be taken at their word to do something in the future.

SuperJebba

First Post
It sounds like the Druids are going to start out as Unfriendly. Outline the actions they will take if they are made friendly or helpful. Also, have a couple of ideas for specific things the PCs might say that will provide bonuses or penalties to their diplomacy checks. Then know when to say when. If the PCs are getting bored, call for the rolls and call it a day.

Above all, and I've learned this the hard way, make sure you find a way to involve everyone. In my group, only about half really get into RPing so sometimes the other half tends to get left out.

Last edited:

Pergentile

Explorer
When you are trying to "diplomacy" a group, I find it is fun to make sure that the group is made up of individuals. A high diplomacy check might convince the majority, but what the character said might set a fire in the others, who will make opposing diplomacy checks to sway the group/give the PC's penalties on their diplomacy checks. Also don't just have it be a "rolls 20, your character speaks perfection", ask the characters generally what they are trying to say with each check, so they might do a good job of convincing the druids they are friendly, but totally bork their chances of getting passage through the forest, or one of them randomly ends up engaged to a priestess because their roll for "we should be allies" was a natural 20. ^^
Diplomacy=the single best skill from an RP perspective. Feel free to make it elaborate. Also make sure that everyone is rolling diplomacy checks, so the not-so-charismatic character might put his foot in his mouth and confuse the situation. <3

Dandu

First Post
sorry, i should've been a little clearer:

i'm the DM, and typically run more of a hack-n-slash game, but was wondering what, in general, DMs who run more cerebral, diplomacy-based encounters have found works, or doesn't work.
Make people say things along with rolling diplomacy checks. Also, modify how diplomacy works to prevent insta-win.

One thing that I like to do, is to have the players roll the dice first, and then come up with some sort of dialogue to match the result...

Regardless of whether or not you do that, you want to set up the situation so that the players understand that combat is not necessarily imminent, but that the druids aren't happy.

"By what circumstance do you trespass on the holy ground of the hucka pucka druids? If you have come to steal the doodads of kerflaffle, you will blah blah blah." Or something to that effect...

An accusation along with a question, should get the point across that the situation is delicate, but salvageable. Hopefully your player's will feel the urge to defend their characters honor and engage in dialogue...

Remove ads