• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Running a single player campaign?

S

Sunseeker

Having run a couple of solo shorts for my wife, I resolved a lot of issues buy putting a heavier emphasis on story. Not railroading that is, but resolving events through roleplaying instead of the combat mechanics and only using the mechanics for the occasional important fight. I did run a DM-pc who I made a sort of generalist who is somewhat familiar with the area to help push my wife in a good direction when she wouldn't think up anything to do.

So, my best advice: focus on story and minimize the need for mechanical resolution.

Since you're running OotA, I would echo others' recommendations here and run an extra NPC or two to go alongside the player's character. How many simply comes down to how much you think you and your friend can handle. At the very least, I would say you run an NPC as DM, but if you think the player won't get overwhelmed, perhaps he could run an NPC as well. The good thing about OotA is that there are several NPCs that start along with the character(s) who could easily be re-purposed into actual characters - Ront could be made into a half-orc barbarian or fighter, Jimjar could be a rogue (or even bard), Eldeth could be a fighter or ranger (or if you wanted to stretch it, even a paladin or cleric), and Sarith could be just about any class (though you would have to ignore the suggested story for him).

What is your friend looking at playing? If we know what class and so on that he's planning on, I'm sure we can come up with some good suggestions for companion NPCs to compliment his character's strengths and weaknesses...

Last edited:

AbhorrentLesson

First Post
I want to thank everyone for all the help, I really appreciate all the ideas and suggestions! This all has given me some new insight on how to handle things, and I'm happy to hear some people have had positive experiences with low player campaigns. This is all also especially helpful since the player really wants to be a Tiefling rogue, which might help out a lot actually as they'd have dark vision. Being a newer player, they're unsure which archetype they'd want to go into out of the three, I get the sense that no matter which one they decide on wouldn't affect much, but recommendations are welcome! I was also wondering, does anyone know what level they should be at by the start of each chapter if they are starting around level 4-5? Perhaps it would just be something I'd get a feel for down the line, but whether I go the route of giving them experience points to level up their character through encounters, or setting milestones that automatically level them up by the start of each chapter (which might be better given the circumstances of a more story focused campaign), many have said in reviews that Out of the Abyss isn't the clearest on what levels the players should be at by the start of each chapter, and that its more up to the DM to setup random encounters to level up the players rather than things setup in the adventure. Besides this, I really think the NPC ideas could be helpful too. While it would be fun to play a DMPC, I feel like I would have a very hard time trying to separate my DM knowledge from my player knowledge, as well as the fact I am not quite ready to handle managing all of the stats that would come with a player as well as the monsters, and regular NPCs. So perhaps yes, I could go have other NPCs that follow the player which are temporary and only go up to a certain point. For instance, I could have a few prisoners help the player evade the drow a little ways then leave, and after a bit of solo trekking the player could encounter a wandering Duergar whose eager to help them out (which I could explain some way from the fact that both tieflings and duergar have some ties with Asmodeous, lord of the nine hells). I think this would be easier to handle as I'd be going off the NPC's assumed knowledge rather than my own (and I'd feel less bogged down with keeping track of changing stats if I could use pregenerated ones ) . I'd need some advice on what CR I should make the companion NPCs in relation to the character, but that seems like it could be found out pretty fast through a bit of trial and error. That being said, I do not want to base the mechanics and survivability of the game entirely off of putting NPCs in place. Though I'd provide a bit of them at certain points, as suggested I'd want to either start the player off at a higher level, or adjust the encounters so the player could traverse around by themselves if they really wanted to at a few places in the campaign.

Expeditious Retreat makes good quality 1 on 1 adventures. DrivethruRPG.com offers them for sale, if that's your cup of tea. They're for a previous edition, but you could convert them.

Endur

First Post
My recommendation is to have a solo player be at least four levels higher than the normal recommended level. So if Out of the Abyss normally starts at 1st level, this player's character will start at 5th level at least (and maybe more depending on character class) and when the campaign ends the player would be at least 19th level instead of 15th level. From a chapter -level perspective, add four levels to each chapter. i.e. level 5 in chapter 1, level 6 in chapter 2, ... level 15 in chapter 11, etc.

I would not reskin monsters, as that adds a lot of complexity. However, the monsters in many cases go out of their way to avoid killing their enemies (Alvara may even use raise dead on a slain PC).

Even with four levels higher, it will be very tough due to the action economy that others have posted about. NPCs really doesn't solve the problem, but you can solve the problem by having the monsters not just be bloodthirsty killing machines, but also having motivations (i.e. some monsters run away from the legendary heroes, some monsters offer to change sides in exchange for gold, some monsters already ate, etc.).

I think a Tiefling Rogue would do quite sell, particularly if they sneak pass a lot of encounters and don't try to fight every monster.

Last edited:

AbhorrentLesson

First Post
I really appreciate you giving me a more defined basis for what the player should be at by each chapter, I definitely think giving level-up milestones rather than XP would help a lot in this situation. But you don't feel giving the player a very high initiative and letting them go between each enemy's turn, instead of the player going then each other foe going, would be enough to offset the action economy issue? I do like the motivations idea!

Last edited:

Endur

First Post
I think the action economy is going to be hard to predict right now. You'll just have to see how it goes in actual play.

Remove ads