• Yes

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Want to

Votes: 10 21.7%

Melhaic

First Post
Earlier today I was lurking around, reading a thread and someone asked for advice about running a solo game. I didn't want to threadjack (the discussing was good anyway...), and I think the subject deseves it own thread anyway.

I've been running a solo with a good friend of mine for about 2 months, and I've developed a few guidelines for adventures with one player rather than a group of players. That in mind, a few of these have made me better at group games as well.

1. Player Input-If the player ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
While this is important in a gruop game, it is absolutely vital with only one person to please. When you have group, if some one isn't really that into the current scene, someone else might be. This keeps the game moving and attention on the game constantly. With only one attention span, you have to be more careful to stay on a subject and style your player likes. Sometimes you have a (you think) great encounter/adventure, and the player just doesn't dig it you can't be afraid to ditch it and move to something else, which leads to...

2. Episodic Adventures-More TV show, less movie
It's much easier to get two people in one place to play than it is to get six people together, so you can play more often. The flip side of this is the fact that the level of attention isn't going to benefit from having a whole group of people doing the same thing, so you aren't able to play as long. When you combine these, you get adventures that play more like TV episodes than movies. Getting into the action quickly and giving short tems goals gets the pace of the action going. Switching types of encounters often during the advenure is also more of a neccessity, since attrition combat doesn't work nearly as well...

3. Varied Encounters-Switch it up
Dungeoneering isn't really the most fun way to play one on one, and if that is what you want from a game, play a miniature battle game. The same tactical options just aren't there with just one PC (and amybe an NPC), and it gets boring for the player to do the same thing over and over. What does work, however is a situations where a varied mix of encounters occur: roleplaying, ambushes, break ins, exploration, negotiation, hostage taking, chases...the list is endless. The key is not to lean on the stand toe to toe fight. One good way to achieve this is to put the ball in the players court...

4. Clear Goals-Make them want it.
If you can give the player a clear short term goal, they will often find an interesting, exciting way to go about achieving it (it helps if it is at least loosely connected to an established meta-goal). Having a goal like this helps the pacing, making for a rapid climax and resolution. This in mind, it is good if you can establish the goal in the first encounter, or if there is a set place to recieve goals/missions from (a mob boss, patron, commnding officer, etc). If you want the players to be able to attack the goals quickly, they have to have the means to do so...

5. Extra Resource-Somebody to lean on.
Not having 5 bada$$ buddies to help you with everything changes the dynamic for the soloist. Networking becomes much more important: you have to provide the means for your PC to get ahold of the resources to get at the goal. Don't give them instant problem solvers, but allow them the means to go at problems from different angles. Save yourself some work and pet the PC make up some contacts (its okay...beathe deep...). One way to help the player have establshed resources is to keep them in one place...

6. Limited Scope-Stay where you know.
If the area covered by the campaign is small, it allows you to go into more detail for factions, NPCs, conflicts, etc. Having established hangouts, friends, and enemies, allows the player to drive the action at the pace they want. Characterization becoms deeper as well when the character has stomping grounds, and friends that don't help spelunk in armor. My player has even got to the point where he knows his butcher, barber, and tailor, and visits them specifically (great plot hooks...).

7. Strong NPCs-Supporting Cast
If you want a deep PC, you have to have deep NPCs for them to interact with. If the PC already know he basic attitudes and habits of the NPC, they are going to ract much more fluidly ad realistially. Also, you can't expect the PC to drive the action constantly, so having compelling NPCs to get things going is great. If the PC knows and trusts the NPC, you don't have to give reasons and conving the player to do something and get motivted.

Things that didn't work...
A companion NPC: While it might seem like a great idea to have a sidekick, if you play them, it takes away attention from you NPCs (And how so you handle the henchmen talking to an NPC? Talk to yourself). The same goes if the player runs the henchman.

Super PC: Its is tempting to give the PC significantly more power to make up for the lack of the party, it really takes somthing away. Part of the fun of soloing is the fact that you can't handle situations in some manners.

Some themes that work: spy, diplomat, squad leader (military), priest (esp. in small parish)and bounty hunter.

As always, YMMV.

Crothian

First Post
I disagree with number two. My solo campaigns in the past have been the move plot driven campaigns I've had. Each session connected completely with the others and we had all sorts of plots going on. And the game sessions were usually longer then normal game session running 6-8 hours. We'd get a lot of things done in that time period too.

Solo campaigns I've found out are not a lot different then regular one. Lots of things can work depending on the player and the game and what both of you want to do.

Melhaic

First Post
By saying episodic, I wasn't discounting it being plot driven (quite the opposite). I've just found that beaking the plot down into small chunks of quickly acheived goals leads to quick pacing. You just have to connect all of the small chunks to the over arching plot. And the number of plots is getting ridiculous: I can barely keep up with all of them, but it is fun to spring a "forgotten" plot on him...
I guess the reason I suggestted running shorter games is because the two of us seem to get ditracted more easily than the five of us, and having short games allow us to do this, and watch Adult Swim. Often, we will do several "episodes" in one night, but not neccessarily back to back.

ivocaliban

First Post
I've been DMing for more than 15 years now and about 90% of the time I run solo campaigns. Because of this my style of DMing is very different from the typical DM who is dealing with 4-6 players. I agree with many of the points you mention (particularly the odd-numbered ones), but there are a few I'm not so sure about.

1. Player Imput - Right on. When you only have one player it's much more of a partnership than if you're running a group.

2. Episodic Adventures - Not so sure abput this one. I think episodic v/s epic is really a matter of taste. One that perhaps mirrors Swords and Sorcery v/s High Fantasy.

3. Varied Encounters - Very true. You generally need to learn which elements a player prefers and try to stick to those or things can quickly go sour.

4. Clear Goals - While I would agree with this one, it's one of the hardest for me as a DM to master. I tend to leave things with a definite direction, but vague enough to give me some wiggle room later down the road just in case things don't go as planned.

5. Extra Resource - Never actually thought about this, but I've done it all along. Unlike most adventures where the NPC who hires you just vanishes at the end of an adventure (or dies or turns out to be a bad guy, etc.), those NPCs become important farther down the road.

6. Limited Scope - Under usual circumstances I would agree with this, but I would like to mention the perfect solution to this problem: a ship. Be it a sloop or a TARDIS a ship can give you both limited and infinite scope...all in the same place.

7. Strong NPCs - Absolutely. While it's important that the NPCs never steal the PCs thunder, they do need to be more prominent, present, and interesting than they are in a game where NPCs are essentially plot elements.

The only other points that I would add are probably just personal preferences, but I'll mention them anyway:

*I've always found the idea of a destined character to be effective in solo campaigns. Many myths and stories feature a single destined hero who overcomes great odds and wins the day. Having a destiny gives the solo character a certain sense of importance and focus that you might not get just playing a rogue who, for whatever reason, isn't in a group. If the character has a destiny they can be intimately tied to the adventure and will feel uniquely equipped to handle what comes their way. Which leads to the one that usually upsets my fellow DMs...

*It's okay to fudge occaisionally in solo campaigns. Unlike in a group campaign, the death of the PC means the entire game grinds to a halt until the player can create another one. Considering I've known some players who can take over an hour to make a 1st level character (what with all the 3.x books to browse), this can be a vicious cycle. So, the player makes a character, the game begins...and the character dies because of a lucky arrow in the first thirty minutes of gaming. You could conceivably end up spending your entire session rolling up characters and killing them off. This gets monotonous quickly in a solo campaign.

I'm not saying you always fudge the dice. If the PC is blatantly flaunting his stupidity or perceived invincibility then you let them get just what they deserve, but you don't let the dice make all of the decisions all of the time or you'll never get anywhere.

My two bits.

Last edited:

Melhaic

First Post
I'm right with you on the fudging, but generally unless it's mega lethal I just have the PC put in a bad place: in prison, temporarily/permanently maimed, bad guy knows identity now, girlfriend kidnapped, etc.

I guess it's a preference thing, but I prefer having the PC around the same population so they begin to care about the conflicts not just because the want their side to "win", but also because their drinking buddy Bill the baker and his nice wife that cooks pies (not to mention thier kids) will be impacted by the actions. The ship campaign (along with its parallel, the mecrcenary company campaign) tends to work best for me with a small group of 2-3 players: they tend to form a clique within the larger group.

The destined character, as you said, is wonderful and almost required for a solo campaign.

I choose episodic not only because of in game consideration, but also because the guy I play with is one of my best friends, and we are often hanging out and D&D breaks out, unplanned. We then go do something else, and maybe go back to it later. Maybe we are just ADHD??? Oh, and I do run more of a Swords and Sorcery than high fantasy game.

Ipissimus

First Post
One of the hardest things with solo campaigns, if not the hardest, is building the player character. Access to healing is such an integral part of the game that not running a character that is somehow part Cleric can be troublesome.

While my regular solo character is a Mystic Theurge, which takes care of the problem for the most part (I highly recommend following the official DnD website's advice and running a character 3 levels above the CR of the adventure, which ironically brings the Mystic Theurge back in line with the power level), and I've run someone else through a homebrewed adventure as a Cleric/Fighter/Wizard, I find that access to other modes of healing can be a great gimmick.

In one campaign, I gave the player an artifact that gave the PC access to healing spells as a Cleric of their level.

In an Eberron campaign, I allowed the PC free access to the healing Dragonmark, which was a major hook for the plot.

One of the greatest things about going solo is the freedom to tailor the adventure to the player. One of the greatest moments in my gaming career was the day one of my players, a HUGE Drizzt fan, had his player meet and fight alongside his hero (no he wasn't playing a duel scimitar wielding Drow Ranger). He still talks about that fight...

Melhaic

First Post
I do an end around that by using a hp based condition track. Maybe one day I'll get around to posting it...

The gist is, you aren't really wounded until you reach half you hp...I better stop or I'll ramble forever. Suffice to say, IMC clerical magic (and magical clerics) are relatively rare, but nonmagical field surgery isn't. Nonmagic surgery converts damage to nonlethal...It's a bit more complicated, but I like the added grittiness, and the fact that my players look at combat as a very serious undertaking rather than something wihtout lasting consequences. As I said earlier, often if the PC in a solo campaign loses a fight he/she isn't dead, just in a disadvantageous position or a bit maimed.

Remove ads