• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running from the Sunless Citadel to the Bastion of Broken Souls

Phaedyme

First Post
Regarding Heart of Nightfang Spire, the reactions so far have been mixed IRL and online. I can see it's a nasty dungeon, but I think that a lot of it depends on player approach.

Low-level adventures

I really felt that Sunless Citadel was a grand way to start off a campaign. It shows off 3rd Edition and even manages to give 1st-3rd level characters an opportunity to explore multiple methods of achieving their goals. However, I ran this module back in December 2001, and I'm not sure that it's aged gracefully. And as with virtually all other modules, it'd need to be updated to 3.5, a task which is harder than you might expect for a simple "rules clarification".

You could look at the Shackled Path campaign in Dungeon magazine. They also intend to run characters from 1st-20th level. If I remember correctly, it's 3.5 compliant, and has a good mix of city encounters and dungeon crawling.

I'm a big fan of the Freeport campaign setting and if you feel up to the task of converting modules, I would strongly recommend trying their series which takes characters from 1st-10th level or so. In my campaign, Brother Egil and the Temple of Knowledge remain strong allies of the PCs in their war against ignorance. And the Temple's certainly happy to accept any "donations" the PCs might care to make from their extensive explorations.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads