• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running gags

wedgeski

Adventurer
In the Dragonlance "Key of Destiny" adventure, there's an encounter with a hag who, after delivering a prophetic warning, explodes.

Yes, she explodes. All over the PC's. All over everything in fact.

This played hilariously at the table and has since caused all subsequent PC's to run in terror at the sight of any NPC sporting a hag-ish countenance.

Ringlerun

First Post
There is a saying that all my gaming friends use whenever their character fails a roll or does something silly. " I was eating a lolly" (ie a lolly is a candy).

It all happened on the way to a convention. We had 8 people squeezed into the front and back seats of my friends car. On the way we nearly had a huge accident. It was vary scary and if anyone knows the great ocean road in Australia there is a huge drop to rocks and crashing waves. After much cursing we asked the driver what had happened and he said " I was eating a lolly"

Closet O' Zombies
Back when 3e first came out, I was DMing the game. The PCs had arrived at a ransacked gnome stronghold. As they searched through the fortress, they realized they saw plenty of blood and signs of a struggle throughout but no bodies.

Their search continued until they opened a "closet" door, and inside was a heap of gnome corpses that had been transformed into zombies.

Since zombies only got one action per turn, the little buggars took forever to exit the "closet," giving the PCs ample to time to mow each one down.

There was much complaint about how so many creatures could fit inside a "closet."

First off, it wasn't a closet, but a pantry, which, while very closet-like, isn't the size of a typical closet.

Secondly, they argued that it should only hold three or four zombies at most since there wasn't enough "space" according to the rules of how creatures are spaced on the game map.

I said "no way" (and still argue the point today) because in my opinion, zombies don't need living space or have "personal space" that we as living humans appreciate. Zombies will happily stack themselves like cordwood if a necromancer tells them to do so, and they'll just sit there and wait until something piques their interest.

Anyway, the amusing scene unfolded of the PCs lining up -- two on each side and one in front -- as the zombies made their death march into our whirling weapons.

Since then, the players always have a good chuckle whenever we open a closet door in a game (warning one another of the potential of a "Closet O'Zombies") or face seemingly overwhelming odds that are quickly dispatched (saying "Looks like another Closet O'Zombies!").

"Focus all your firepower on that Super Star Destroyer"
Taking a line from "Return of the Jedi," this is an in-game code for our characters to always attack the biggest creature first, and that everyone should always attack the same creature and not worry about the peons.

While we as players know the source of this code, our characters certainly don't, but its just the running-gag statement our characters use to initiate usage of this particular tactic.

Last edited:

I managed to derail one game session (back in 1E days) thanks to a druid PC who had a penchant for chatting with every friggin' plant he ran across, trying to get information on what lay ahead. It was carried to a ridiculous extreme when he talked to moss in the dungeon. As I recall, it went something like this:
Druid (to moss): So, are there any creatures that come through here regularly?
DM: no, we haven't seen anything.
Me: wait... you didn't see anything?! (pause) MOSS GOT EYES!!
Despite the poor grammar of that observation, everyone seemed to find that hilarious. For a long time after that, every time that poor druid stopped to talk to plants, the rest of us would call out 'MOSS GOT EYES!!"

invokethehojo

First Post
I think it was in 3.0 where I ran an adventure where the party spent some time travelling by ship. I wanted to have so see combats that were a little different. So I through a troll at them (don't remember the specifics, this would have been a solo thing for them). Of course you can't kill a troll unless you burn it, and this was during a sea storm so constant rain and waves coming across the bow. They ended up chopping off it's arms and right leg, and putting those in crates they nailed shut. The troll itself was thrown off the ship. So the running gag was that at the bottom of the sea was a one legged troll slowly pulling itself along by it's one leg, planning it's revenge when it made it to shore. so now whenever we end up at a beach or similar someone always looks for one legged troll tracks by the water.

Nimloth

First Post
Mr Bacon

In my group we have a Druid and a Ranger, both with animal companions. The druids ac (wolf, called Furry Death 3) can usually manage to survive fights at our level (10/11), but the rangers has little/no chance of survival. So the rangers ac is a boar called Mr Bacon. So when it (almost) inevitably dies, we can cook it up and eat it after the battle. Yum, a post battle pork snack.

tvknight415

Explorer
We were playing a Living Greyhawk Shield Lands module, and ran into some giants and ogres. There were five of us who played together, and we'd picked up a 6th. Now, I can't swear as to the exact quotes or exact order, but it went pretty close to this....

Player 1 (ranger/rogue): Sneak attack (combat resolved)
Player 2 (Paladin): I charge (combat resolved)
PLayer 3 (barbarian): I rage, then charge (combat resolved)
Player 4 (wizard): Move up 30 feet and cast (combat resolved)
Player 5 (sorcerer): Move up 20 feet, and cast (combat resolved)
Player 6 (melee fighter type): Activate a ring of shield and back up 30 feet
DM and players 1-5 all turn our heads and look at player 6
DM (with confused look on his face): "You do what?!?!?!"
Player 4: You must be <Blagojevich expletive> kidding me!
Player 5: You're serious? The wizard charged. THE WIZARD!!!!!!!
Player 1: Well, it's nice to know we have a back-up fighter if the going gets tough

From that day forward, the character was always referred to as our back-up fighter.

Oryan77

Adventurer
The McBoaties & McFloaties were a running gag for a while in our game.

I was running a sailing adventure and at one point, some ghoul pirates attacked their ship. I don't remember the details, but for whatever reason, one of the players was talking about the NPC sailors they were sailing with. He referred to one of them as "McBoaty" since he forgot his name. Then, as one of the sailors died, my wife referred to that guy as McFloaty.

For some reason, it was funny. Funny enough that from then on, every NPC during that adventure was referred to as either a McBoaty if they were alive, or a McFloaty if they died.

Horatio

First Post
Once upon a time (more than 8 years ago), we were facing a RBBEG (really BBEG) and starting to be a bit desperate, I anounced I will use my most powerfull attack, the resulting damage being 25d6. I rolled 29, boss saved (14), resisted (3). So I did 3 damage.

From that, everytime ones of us said "now here gos my powerfull attack" or similar, almost every other said "yup, 3 damage".

It evolved during the course of 2 years so that anytime someone wasn't carefull and said "now my best/most powerfull attack" or similar, the DM just said "ok, 3 damage it is" :cool:

Remove ads