Apparently my "I have some surprises of my own" was to miss the same PC with 13 out of 14 attacks. Yes, that's right, folks; I needed a 10 to hit, and missed the same PC 13 out of 14 times. Nothing makes a solo monster angrier than that.
The beholder had a 55% chance of hitting. The chance of missing 12 consecutive rolls, each of which has only a 45% chance of failure, is .00689%Even worse, 12 of those misses came in two consecutive turns. Each of those two turns it used a standard action that allowed it to take 3 attacks and used an action point to take the same action getting another 3 attacks per turn.
Nuntle, Human Grey Guard recruit Level 6 Minion
Medium natural humanoid XP 63
Initiative +10 Senses Perception +5
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 22; Fortitude 19; Reflex 19; Will 18
m Long sword (standard; at-will) • Weapon
+10 vs AC; 4 damage
r Thrown dagger (standard; at-will) • Weapon
+10 vs AC; 4 damage
Cower Behind Allies
Nuntle gains a +2 power bonus to all defenses while at least two other allies are within 5 squares of him.
Make a Damn Fine Cloak
Nuntle is a great tailor, and really makes good cloaks. He wishes that was going to help save him.
Alignment Good Languages Common
Str 13 (+4) Dex 20 (+8) Wis 14 (+5)
Con 15 (+5) Int 11 (+3) Cha 10 (+3)
Equipment Longsword, 2 daggers, really nice cloak
While a character death is never fun, regardless, I am somewhat surprised that a Raise appears out of the question. Component of the campaign or how she died?- Toiva's player (Aravis) is probably going to bring in a Sorcerer character to replace her, meaning we'll now have 1 Leader (shaman), 1 Controller (wizard) and FOUR Strikers (rogue, rogue, ranger, sorcerer). We'll be dishing out the damage like never before, and now we'll have a ranged striker to go with our three melee types. Of course, we'll have less healing and temp HP, and no defender, but that will just make things more exciting!
So, umm... did you know that forced movement in 4e generally doesn't move creatures vertically?Alas, that selfless deed was her undoing. The beholder recharged its ability to pull enemies, and finally started rolling well. It lifted her up out of the pit before she could make a swimming getaway and made a quick, blood-sucking end to her while the rest of us fled. We could hear her final scream to her Goddess Aika before it cut off.
This was an ability it had in lieu of a stun power, so we weren't complaining!So, umm... did you know that forced movement in 4e generally doesn't move creatures vertically?
PCat, did you give the Beholder threatening reach? Otherwise it shouldn't be getting OAs unless folks are adjacent.
Also, the attack is usually at the beginning of an adjacent enemy's turn, not the beginning of the Beholder's turn. I guess you did that for convenience?
Since you guys are going back to fight the same monster again, PCat are you going to spice it up mechanically, or change something, or will it be another slog?
Good question, Vic. A raise dead is definitely an option (with some story complications and consequences) if Aravis feels strongly about it, but I'm not emphasizing that as the best solution.While a character death is never fun, regardless, I am somewhat surprised that a Raise appears out of the question. Component of the campaign or how she died?
I do. This was a deliberate exception; the beholder was using its bloodcall power to yank its prey around by the blood in its body. It wouldn't have been able to do this to Stron or Bramble, as they have no blood. I was careful to play this consistently the whole fight.So, umm... did you know that forced movement in 4e generally doesn't move creatures vertically?
At this point, if they recover Toiva's body and I am given the option of being brought back, I am heavily leaning towards no. Don't get me wrong, I love Toiva and will be a little sad that PCat will lose the opportunity to make use of her back story. But, I feel like being brought back will cheapen the sacrifice she made.While a character death is never fun, regardless, I am somewhat surprised that a Raise appears out of the question. Component of the campaign or how she died?
Although, I do have to give thumbs up to the choice of sorcerer for a replacement. I've been playing one off-and-on for a year now and am almost to 7th level now. The character (and the class) is a ton of fun.
Forget the word "Another". You guys seem to have avoided any grindiness.That's a strange word to describe a particularly exciting and memorable combat!