D&D General Russ Nicholson passes, Rest in Peace.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
An absolute icon and legend. May he long be remembered and celebrated.

In addition to his classic work, he had continued making wonderful art in recent years, including for the OSR scene. His works in Through Ultan's Door helped make that zine one of the most gorgeous things (IMO) the OSR has put out.

Attachments

• TUD 2 cover.jpg
    TUD 2 cover.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
One of my favorite artists. I knew he had health issues, but I'm very sad nonetheless. And reminded how all of my favorite icons of the industry have passed or will be passing soon :(
We really need artist-specific hardcovers celebrating their work and careers while they're still alive. I'm glad Dark Horse did a DiTerlizzi book, and Elmore has produced a ton of books for his own work, but Easley, Otus and others need to be celebrated (and paid!) while they're still alive.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Perhaps because I was more into the American scene than the British scene, I was always more attuned to the early artists of TSR like Otus, Trampier, Dee, Sutherland, and Willingham.

But even though I didn't understand the backstory at the time (TSR UK, etc.), I still remember the thrill of how the Fiend Folio looked. Not necessarily better, but different, and enticing.

DgyOriGX4AAwvo2.jpg:large

Why did the Gith become iconic?

I can't guarantee you the answer ... but if part of the answer isn't Russ Nicholson, you're doing it wrong.

Zardnaar

Legend
One of my favorite artists. I knew he had health issues, but I'm very sad nonetheless. And reminded how all of my favorite icons of the industry have passed or will be passing soon :(

Getting old sucks. Not because of the aches, pains, body issues, etc. But seeing more and more of my friends and icons pass away around me.

I'm 44 and we're getting it with parents and friends parents.

Garnfellow

Explorer
Early White Dwarf magazines are graced with many great Russ illustrations -- paging through those issues is like finding a lost section of the 1e Fiend Folio. I suspect many wacky FF monsters never would have caught on in the game if not for an evocative Russ drawing. In tribute to the man I dusted off an old White Dwarf monster conversion that was heavily inspired by one of his illustrations: the cyclops for 0e, 3e, and 5e.

Remove ads