• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rust Monsters vs. Warforged

Jack of Shadows

First Post
Hey Folks,

Does anyone know what rules are when warforged encounter Rust Monsters and other rust effects? I have an encounter coming up tomorrow with a rust monster and this is going to be important as a warforged is going to seem like a feast to the critter.

Jack

Cameron

First Post
Jack of Shadows said:
Hey Folks,

Does anyone know what rules are when warforged encounter Rust Monsters and other rust effects? I have an encounter coming up tomorrow with a rust monster and this is going to be important as a warforged is going to seem like a feast to the critter.

Jack
No. Warforges are made of a mixture of wood, stone and metal, so it won't be a complete feast. I'd adjudicate it like a Rusting Grasp spell, with caster level = 1/2 HD.

Vorput

First Post
I house-ruled they deal 1d4 con damage a hit... dunno if I've ever seen RAW mechanics on it...

Edit: N/m, there's these
Design Notes: How do rust monsters affect warforged? Check out the Eberron Campaign Setting, p. 23:

"The iron in the body of a warforged makes him vulnerable to rusting grasp. The creature takes 2d6 points of damage from the spell (Reflex half; save DC 14 + caster's ability modifier). A warforged takes the same damage from a rust monster's touch (Reflex DC 17 half)." That's the same save DC listed in the Monster Manual entry; Con-based and with a +4 racial bonus.

From: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060714a

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
The rules for Warforged do specify 2d6 damage from a Rusting grasp spell. However, A rusting grasp spell is not nearly as powerful as the potential effect from a Rust monster.

Rusting Grasp can corrode a 3 foot radius volume of metal, or 113 cubic feet
A Rust Monster can corrode a 10 foot cube, or 1000 cubic feet.

In addition to that, Rusting grasp does not harm magic items. Rust monsters do. So the Rust monster should do substantially more damage than Rusting Grasp.

There are several effects you might be justified in borrowing from, many of them nasty. You could allow for a DC 17 Save vs Death, or a as a Harm Spell. However, this is probably a bit out of line, as it makes Rust Monsters a highly situational and dangerous weakness for Warforged players.

I think that inflicting Con damage is certaintly warranted. I would go beyond 1d4 per hit though. I would go 2d6 with a DC 17 Fort Save for 1d6 Con damage instead. Still scary dangerous, but not instantly fatal in most cases.

As an aside, I think this is a great question to look for a more official answer for, but I expect that WotC would say to apply the same damage as a Rusting Grasp spell.

END COMMUNICATION

shilsen

Adventurer
I've house-ruled both rust monsters and the Rusting Grasp spell to do 1d10 Con damage to warforged, halved for a successful Fort save.

smootrk

First Post
I have house-ruled that the standard size rust monster does the same as Rusting Grasp Spell (2d6). Larger or Advanced HD rust monsters would do more. I also ruled (this is where the HR comes in) that each hit will drop their Composite Plating protection by 1, so a standard warforged character would have no armor protection after just 2 hits. This is permanent until time is spent making repairs (and these repairs go beyond the scope of the Repair line of spells which repair only HPs).

I tell the players who might take a warforged character that they should be afraid... very afraid of a pack of rust monsters.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads