• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ry's Threats, Rewards, Assets, and Problems (TRAPs)

Ry

Explorer
Another way to use those elves would be to have archer support of PC activities during a forest battle. That would be cool, PCs are still the stars and the asset is still an asset.

Cerulean_Wings

First Post
Yes to you both, Ry and Slapzilla: the idea is that the family of elven archers will help make the battle possible, but the PC's still need to be there, front line, and attack with all their might. Like in a Lord of the Rings movie :D

doghead

thotd
After getting through about half of the thread, I decided to try and apply the TRAP's system to Underdogs, my current PbP game here on EN world. My head is still spinning.

Initially most of it was just sorting out ideas already floating around in my head (I'm not a great one for pre-planning and putting everything down on paper first). Much of it fell reasonably easily into place. As I worked, it seemed to make sense to organise the TRAP's into trees. So Campaign (or trunk) TRAP's describe an overview. Several story (or branch) TRAP's lead off the Campaign TRAP. Each Story TRAP may have several Encounter (twig?)TRAP's.

Ideas seemed to flow fairly quickly. Sometimes elements needed to be shifted from one level to another - a Campaign level problem became a Story level one, and was replaced by another Problem, which was then linked to a new Story level TRAP. Sometimes I found myself starting at the Story level and working back to the Campaign level, sometime vice versa. I tried to include all four elements (Threat, Reward, Asset and Problem) in each. I found it easiest to think of Assets as something to be used to deal with the threat, while Rewards as something gained as a result of succeeding (or at least having had a go).

I spent less time on Encounter TRAP's, as these seemed to be more dependent on the path chosen by the PC's. It seems like initially, one or maybe two may be enough. However, it seems fairly easy to create new ones fairly quickly as the game progresses and new encounters are needed. I really like the fact that what the system gives you is the essentials, without a lot of inert elements. My games have probably been a little to rich in inert elements which would help explain why they have struggled to engage the players as much as I want them to.

Its possible I'm not using Threats and Problems in exactly the way intended. I see Threats as the overarching situation, with Problems being like complications. Threats might not necessarily pose any immediate danger to the PC's.

doghead
aka thotd

Ry

Explorer
I think you're making a very natural extension there (in terms of changing scale), because at least 2 others (Todd Hodges who's working on a draft, and Leonard Balsera who wrote a cool game called Spirit of the Century) have taken it in the same direction. I think this goes to show that Situation is something RPGs need in a few different ways, and this is a way to get it.

Slapzilla

First Post
The Problem is the difficulty the PCs must overcome, solve or mitigate. The Threat is the immediate motivator. They can look like the same thing sometimes... like a forest fire. They can involve different aspects of the same thing... The Druids needing to complete a ritual as a forest fire bears down on them. They can be confusing too... The sea monster is wrecking the ship-which is the Problem and which is the Threat...the monster or the sinking? In the end, how you set it up is the answer.

In the forest fire example, if the PCs divert the fire long enough for the Druids to complete the ritual, then the Circle being in danger is the problem.

Problem: A Circle of Druids must complete a special ritual on time or the ancient forest will succumb to a necromancer's curse and fall into decrepitude.

Threat: A raging fire races to the ritual grounds. (Notice this won't cause HP damage to the PCs, but still a Threat)

Asset: A local village is full of able-bodied volunteer fire fighters.

Reward: Completion of the ritual and thwarting the curse.

Now if the PCs set the fire in order to thwart the ritual, then the Threat and the Asset switch places and the Reward is thwarting the ritual and completing the curse.

Take the Sea Monster situation;

Out at sea, a giant monster is attacking the ship and it is breaking apart fast.

Problem 1: Even the lifeboats are being destroyed and out floating on flotsam, the creature will still lurk... and feed.

Problem 2: The creature is so big and mostly underwater it is hard to do enough damage to it to at least fend it off.

How you set this Problem will dictate the associated Threat(s). It is up to you to decide the direction to a certain extent. The situation could go in many different ways. If the PCs split up, then both problems become 'active', each with their own Threats and Rewards. Being ready for multiple problems within a single situation will help you see what the real difficulty is in the situation and then see the difference between Problem and Threat.

Hope this helps.

Ry

Explorer
At opposing ends of the spectrum:

An angry dragon swooping down on you is a Threat.
The muddy ground is a Problem.
The dragon's well-known mud allergy is an Asset.
Dragon stew is a Reward.

So complicating factors that make it hard to resolve the Threat in a situation are Problems. Complicating factors that can make it easier to resolve the Threat are called Assets.

Ry

Explorer
OK, I did something awesome with TRAPs last night with my group. Collective world building with TRAPs. It was great.

Edheldur

First Post
That's something I've been wanting to try out since I started using TRAPs. Too bad it will be a while till I find a new gaming group.

doghead

thotd
Hey Ryan

This is an adventure I have had in the back of my mind for some time now. I've been trying to get an outline down on (virtual) paper in order in case i get the chance to run something on day. Your TRAPs methodology has been helpful in helping me expand the factors in play. But I would really like to see how you would apply TRAPs in this case.

I haven't indicated a level. I wanted to leave the level (and system) open at this stage. But mentally I was thinking E6. I had forgotten that that was another one of yours.

Below is the work as it stands now. As I have been working through the details, I have begun to feel that something was missing, it just didn't seem to gel properly. The full thread is here > http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=220666 < if you are interested.

doghead
aka thotd

[sblock=adventure outline]adventure - Duvik - beta version.

- PROLOGUE -

The seed for this adventure comes from the WotC web-module, A Burning Plague. I have changed things a bit. The plague reduces Int, rather than Con. The town is a village. It is not located in a pass, so their is almost no through traffic. I have also zoomed out a bit, and introduced some new participants into the drama.

- SETTING -

The adventure requires two competing cities within a few (4 - 7) days travel of some mountains. I last ran this as a Living EN World (LEW) adventure, so I have used the original names here for simplicity. A map of Orrusus can be found at the Living Enworld pages.

- Locations -

Duvik, a small mining village set in the Stonepike Mountains. Population approx. 300 (100 young, 140 adult, 60 elderly), about 50 households. One priest (some artisan god, as most of the Vikians were craftsmen/artisans originally). One more priest, just for luck (probably some farming or fertility god?).

The Village of Duvik consists of a number of individual houses clustered fairly closely around two large hall like structures. These were the first structures built when the village was settled. One now serves as the village hall and church. The other is used mostly for storage.

Surrounding the village is a relatively flat plain a couple of miles wide and several long. The ground around the village has been cleared of trees. The bulk of the village lies within a small palisade. The palisade is not in the best of condition, it is possible to climb over it or slip through it in a number of places. About half a dozen houses lie outside the palisade, scattered around the valley. Most of them are within half an hour's walk of the village.

There are three mines around Duvik, a large one (20 workers - including cook, animal handlers, carpenters.) and two smaller ones (12 workers). Near the entrance to each mine there is an encampment where the workers live.
[[population significantly reduced from original module (pop. 1500).]]
[[Given the remoteness and difficulty of life, a priest would probably have a few levels under his belt. Remove Disease is Cl 3, needs caster level 5th (once or twice a day.) So likely to be overwhelmed by number of cases. People can catch the disease after being cured.]]

Orussus, a major city several days travel from Duvik. The majority of Duvik's silver trade is with Orussus.

Fallon, another city also several days travel from Duvik. Fallon and Orussus are rivals.

The Bainlunder Hills lie somewhere between Orussus and the Stonepike mountains.

- PARTICIPANTS -

- Orc Shaman -

1 orc shaman: driven by his hunger for revenge, he has turned to the darkest of the old gods - more primal forces than old man with beard.
half dozen orc hunters/warriors: The shaman recruited a number of malcontents from the surrounding tribes with promises of loot, as well as positions of power in the new tribe that will be formed to re-take possession of the valley. They are moderately experienced fighters and hunters. They are enthusiastic enough supporters when things are going well and they get to beat-up on the weak. But have little loyalty to the cause beyond self interest. They have little stomach for a fight.

Alternatives to orc followers - bugbears, gnolls, goblins (good for scouts and sentries).

In an effort to hide his actions and spread confusion, the shaman has had his warriors paint their armour red, as well as wear face masks and wigs designed to give the warriors a hellish or demonic appearance. While the disguise would not be hard to see through in normal circumstances, in heat of battle, or in poor light conditions it is reasonably effective. Through in a few smoke bombs and thunder-stones, and it gets even more effective.

- Fallon Troops -

The Fallon contingent has been tasked with assisting the people of Duvik. It consists of around 30 individuals.

The commander has also be tasked with getting the people of Duvik to formally acknowledge Fallon as the rightful ruling authority over Duvik village and valley. Along with this would come, of course, the obligation to pay taxes to Fallon.

This acknowledgement would also make Duvik subject to Fallon's laws. One law of particular significance is Fallon's right to restrict trade with those outside Fallon. This law would allow Fallon to cut Orussus out of the silver trade with Duvik in favour of Fallon's own merchants.

The Fallon commander expects to be able to use his assistance as leverage in 'negotiating' an agreement. This is largely what is expected of him by his superiors. Of course, the commander is working on the assumption that there will be someone to negotiate with.

Commander: A career soldier. Has little liking for the task. But proud, and likely to be stubborn. Especially if he feels that he is being bested by mere 'opportunists and sell swords'.
Commander's aide:
2 Lieutenants:
2 infantry squads: 6-8 basic soldiers, perhaps one or two more experienced members. Hand weapon, dagger, light armour, shield.
1 skirmisher squad: 6-8 generally more experienced soldiers. A bit cock sure. Similar fighting skills to the above squads, but with some stealth/survival stuff as well. Hand weapon, dagger, light armour, ranged weapon.
3 priests of some angry un-dead butt kicking deity. One mid level, two lower level acolytes.

- Bainlunders -

During their fight from Fallon, the Bainlunders helped the refugees, and were instrumental in helping the Vikians establish their village. The Bainlunders are mostly herdsmen. In subsequent years, there was significant trade between the two people, the Bainlunders selling cattle, the Vikians crafted goods.

The Bainlunders visit the village several times a year, taking up small herds of animals for sale. So they are resonably familier with the geography of the valley.

It is also likely that they do not tale kindly to the arrival of the Fallon troops in the foothills, especially if the troops start trying to throw their weight around.

- DISEASE PROGRESSION -

The progression of the disease depends upon a number of factors; initial intelligence, daily Int loss, periods of recovery. But for an average person with 10 Int.

* Int 8 (2 days after infection)
no real behaviour change except perhaps some frustration with loss of ability with craft, knowledge tasks.

* Int 6 (4 days after infection)
less inclined to tasks without immediate benefit, some loss of social restraint, increased interest in food and sleep.

* Int 4 (6 days after infection)
no interest in things without immediate benefit, tendency to use aggression to settle conflicts, tendency to wonder off and sleep, speech becomes broken/simplified, more sexually aggressive.

* Int 2 (8 days after infection)
behaves much as an animal, interests limited to food, shelter and sex, conflicts resolved by displays of aggression, fighting.

- BACKGROUND -

Many years ago the village of Duvik was established by the a group of Vikian people fleeing persecution and oppression in Fallon. The village is located in a small valley in the Stonepike mountains. The village is a couple of days travel from Fallon and Orussus. The village is farily isolated, about a 6-8 hours up a narrow path into the mountains. The initial years of the settlement were hard. The land was tough and unforgiving. There were times when it looked like the settlement wouldn't survive.

The discovery of silver in the surrounding mountains changed the fortunes of the village in more ways than one. It gave them something to trade for the things they couldn't produce themselves. It also drew the attention of the local orc tribe. The people of Duvik fought hard to protect their village and mines from the orcish raiders. But the orc tribe was strong and well established. In desperation, several appeals were made to Fallon for assistance. All were ignored. Instead it was from Orussus that help eventually came, in the form of mercenaries (adventurers) hired by the city through the Guild of Merchants. Nominally Duvik was part of the territory claimed by Fallon. So Orrusus could not risk officially supporting the people of Duvik. To do so would risk sparking a conflict beteeen the two cities which were already not on the best of terms. But the merchants of Orussus wanted access to the silver of Duvik, and the city authorities were keen to help them get it.

Eventually, the orc tribe was overcome and the valley secured. The villages and the siler mines were secured, and it was to the merchants of Orrusus that the people of Duvik sold their silver in the years following.

- TIMELINE -

*** (day -7) an orcish shaman/priest returns to the Duvik valley in order to get revenge on the village. He is one of the remaining members of the tribe that once raided the village and was eventually destroyed. The orc calls upon dark forces and in return for his service, is granted the power to corrupt the waters of the valley, poisoning the minds of those that drink it, slowing destroying their ability to think and reducing them to the state of animals [ie - Int loss]. His plans take about a week to set in motion. The first step is the creation of a number of small shrines, which he locates upstream of the village on several of the tributaries of the stream that runs through the village. To keep the magic active, he needs to place bloody offerings at each shrine each night.

During the first few days, the shaman keeps out of the way. He sends the bulk of his warriors to watch the path into the village. Their job is to keep any visitors away without being identified. They have thunder stones and smoke wands (?) as well as 'whistling arrows' to help with deception.

Once the bulk of the villagers are incapacitated, the shaman will gather his warriors and go into the village (mostly at night), hunting down those who appear to be resisting the disease. He will desecrate the temple/shrine at the first opportunity. The priest will be high on his list of those to kill.

[[other options: summon monsters, create undead to prowl the streets.]]

*** (day 1 - midnight) The shaman begins the ritual.

*** (day 1) More than half of the village population become infected through drinking the water, or contact with contagious individuals. The only symptom at this stage is a slight fever.

*** (day 2) Most of those not infected will become so, either by contact or by drinking the water. A few of the infected experience some difficulties with day to day [[Int based]] tasked. Some cases of slight behaviour change, but nothing that couldn't be explained by a fever. The infection is carried to the mines by workers returning from town.

*** (day 3) Those hardest hit (possible 6-8 points of Int loss) by the disease are starting to display distinct behaviour changes. Priest discovers remove disease works, but only has a few spells/scrolls, and those cured are often re-infected by others who are contagious. He tries to keep the worst of effects quiet to avoid creating panic.

*** (day 3) Priest sends a messenger to the nearest temple of his faith, asking for help/advice. Expected to return in about 4 - 6 days. Messenger is killed by orcs. [[alt: uses sending spell (scroll probably)]] ???

*** (day 3) Many others are suffering little, a bit of a fever, a bit of difficulty concentrating on tasks. Many are still unaware that they are infected. People starting to get worried a bit worried about 'this fever everyone seems to have come down with'. Reassured that the priest has taken steps.

*** (day 4) A few of the worst affected reach the 'bestial' state. They are relatively harmless so long as fed and kept happy. One or two wonder around the village or off into the forest.

*** (day 4) Messengers from the mines arrive in the village asking for the priest. He has too much on his hands, and can't really do anything, sends advice.

*** (day 5) (evening) Three Bainlunders bringing up some animals to trade are attacked a couple of miles out of the village. One is killed, two flee back down the mountain. The animals wonder off.

*** (day 6) The bulk of the villagers are by now obviously sick. Dozens have reached bestial state' - unless provided for, they simply raid houses and fields for food, taking whatever they find.

*** (day 6) Villagers start to panic. Many (say dozens?) flee into the woods or down the trail. Those taking the trail are attacked by orcs. Many killed. Some escape into the woods.

*** (day 6) The two herders get back to the Bainlunder hills and tell others about what happened.

*** (day 6) By now the infection has spread through the mines. A number of accidents have resulted as a result of the loss of Int (leading to skill check penalties).

*** (day 7) A small group of Bainlunders (3) sets off to the village to see what they can find out. They stay off the main (only path), travelling through the forest instead. Much slower, takes nearly two days travelling.

*** (day 7) A delivery of silver was supposed to set off for Orussus this day. It doesn't. The silver is locked in the basement of the silversmith.

*** (day 8) Almost a third of the villagers have reached the bestial state. Another third are severely incapacitated. Of the remainder, most show symptoms. About a dozen or so have recovered or seem to be immune. Lead by the priest, the healthy and not so bad pull back into one of the great halls [[the first buildings built when the village was settled were two great halls]], stock up on food, try and aide the sick.

*** (day 8) Several fights break out at mines as the sickest raid food. Several just wonder off, many back to town.

*** (day 8 - afternoon) The Bainlunder scouts reach the site of the attack. They keep their distance. Spot the attackers, watch a little. Hard to identify at distance, but one thinks 'monsters' are speaking 'orcish'. They are spotted and flee.

*** (day 8) Word reaches the Bainlunders tribal elders. Word is sent to the dwarves, who have long been allies of the Bainlunders.

*** (day 10) By now only a small number of functioning villagers remain holed up in one of the great halls.

*** (day 10 - night) the orc shaman launches an attack on the hall. Spells and effects used to create a demonic effect. They attempt to set the hall on fire. They succeed but those inside manage to put it out. Several villagers healthy are killed.

*** (day 11) A group of villagers attempt to break out and make it too the plains below. They split up into several smaller groups and take different route out of the village.

*** (day 12) driven by hunger, villagers who have reached the plains below raid Bainlunder settlements for food. Ragged, dirty and stripped of the ability to do anything more than howl, scream and grunt, they terrify the Bainlunders. To the layman, they would appear to be possessed or zombies. The Bainlunders do recognise the villagers as from Duvik. Several villagers are killed, the rest flee.

*** (day 12) A delivery of silver from Duvik fails to arrive in Orussus.

*** (day 13) One of the breakout groups from Duvik reaches the plains. They tell a tale of a terrible curse and demons.

*** (day 14) News of the problems in Duvik reach Fallon.

*** (day 14) News of the problems in Duvik reaches Orrusus.

*** (day 16) Seeing an opportunity to bring Duvik under into its area of influence, Fallon sends out troops to 'assist the people of Duvik'.

*** (day 17) The troops set up camp in a village at the base of the mountains.

*** (day 18) The troop commander sends a band of soldiers up into the mountains investigate.

- OTHER POTENTIAL PARTICIPANTS -

- Orc Tribe -

The renegade orc shaman has called upon forces forbidden by his people. Troubling omens (or something) brings the shaman's actions to the attention of another tribal shaman, who send a junior shaman along with a few warriors to investigate. In the dream there is some indication that they renegade has an artefact of some power. The tribal shaman wants it, if it exists. Given its nature, he will probably destroy it. But he doesn't know for sure what it is, or even if there is an artefact at all.

These orcs also have no love for humans, but they may be willing to work with them in order to overcome the renegade shaman. But its not the sort of thing they will be easily convinced to do so. Initially, they will somewhat unfriendly. It will take some effort to change that. Nor will they be very reliable as allies. If they see an opportunity to achieve their aims, they will take it.

NPC Descriptions

Junior Shaman, lowish-middle level.
3-4 orc warriors: reasonably experienced hunters and warriors. Very capable in the wilderness and mountains. short spear, hand weapon, dagger, light armour.

Timeline additions:

*** (day 11) The small band arrives in the valley. They spend a couple of days scouting the valley and watching the village.

*** (day 12) They spot the renegade orcs raiding the village. They follow the renegades, but ...

- Dwarf Clan Hyborus -

The Stonepike mountains are largely controlled by the dwarves. The closest Clan to the Duvik valley is Clan Hyborus. As originally written, the dwarves have very little to do with the human cities. Clan Hyborus are little different from their fellow dwarves in this regard.

The dwarves are reluctant to get involved. Caution plays a big part in this. But there are other reasons for them holding back. The dwarves have little love for humans. Although the current mining falls within the agreement between the dwarves and the Vikians, elements with the dwarven society are concerned about the possibility of the human mining activities expanding into the dwarven territory. Elements within the Clan would be happy to see the humans leave the valley and their mountains.

Of course, they do not want to see an orcish tribe re-establish itself in the valley. If the dwarves learn that orcs are involved, elements of the clan would become more keen to help. Not all however. Some of the more committed isolationists think it is better to let the orcs drive the humans out, then the dwarves can deal with the orcs later.

Like most clans, Hyborus have a network of tunnels that allow them to travel through the mountains without having to come to the surface. Clan Hyborus have a hidden gate about six hours march from the village. It is secured by a solid locked door. Guards are not usually stationed at this gate. From the gate to the centre of the clan stronghold is another day's march via tunnels through the mountains.

The location of the gate is not known to the villagers, but they know that there is a gate somewhere, and its approximate direction from the village.

Upon receiving news of the problems in the Duvik valley, the dwarves will send a small garrison to man the Duvik valley gate. It will be lead by a minor clan noble, and include a priest and a dozen warrior/scouts. Once established, a small band of about 4 will be sent into the valley to see what is happening.

NPC Descriptions

Noble: traditional, cautious. reluctant to make decisions without consulting the council first. Messages take about 48 hours to do a round trip. several hand weapons, medium armour, shield.
Priest: ...
Mage (?)
8-10 Warriors: hand weapon, crossbow, medium armour, heavy shield
3-4 Scouts: hand weapon, crossbow, light armour (scouts)

Timeline Additions

*** (day 16) Dwarves arrive at the gate and set up the garrison.
*** (day 17) The priest and 3 scouts are sent to the village.

The Bainlunder people

One group of people the dwarves do have good relations with are the herders of the Bainlunder hills. The Bainlunder people could be useful friends to have. The have a good knowledge of the region (the best routes, hiding places etc) as well as close relations with the dwarves.[/sblock]

Remove ads