D&D 5E Sabrina Spellman

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I thought about that and initially had her dump Wisdom (which would free up a ton of points to bump Dex). But Sabrina is also routinely shown to be perceptive and strong-willed, which are two of the principle mechanical effects of Wisdom. It's kind of a quirk of the D&D ability score system that there's no "Wisdom (Good Decisions)" skill.

So instead I feel like she should handle those complications through her Bonds, Ideals, Flaws, etc. Maybe she should have additional flaws like "headstrong" or "reckless" or "impulsive" or just "is a teenage girl."

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I've suggested an edit (underlined)

"Imp" is bolded because it's a creature stat block. Imps can polymorph into cats.

Maybe Salem should get his own stat block too though, because he seems a bit more powerful than your typical imp...

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Honestly I find very little comedy, the horror is usually played straight, unlike the Adam's Family.

As for the "witch" term it's gender neutral, and some of the most influential witches, both Satanic and Wiccan, are men. Gerald Gardner and Alex Sanders, who was the last to meaningfully claim the name King of the Witches, and those two are just the biggest names.
I'm aware of their names, just like I'm aware of the deep infighting that has gone on with regard to a patriarchal standard being imposed upon a cult dedicated to women's mysteries.

Also interesting to note male Wiccan don't call themselves warlocks, Satanist might however, because Warlock I was taught actually means oath breaker (making the D&D class ironic).
The definition of "oath breaker" is an outcropping of pagan re-constructionism. The word pre-dates Middle English and I believe it has meant "man in league with the Devil" since the times of Inquisition.

And yes Wicca and Satanists as well have had a GLBT presence for a long time. That is not the issue. It's the subtle straight male bashing that goes on in the show at times.
As I said before, ostracizing through accusations of witchcraft can be traced back to humanity's earliest communal societies. Who do you think was victimized most by the practice? Spurned women, scorned women, alluring women, ugly women, homosexuals, transexuals, the disabled (both physically and mentally), along with anyone else we can reasonably consider as "different." It is a recognized system of exclusion that has received a great amount of scholarly interest over the years.

CapnZapp

Legend
I would not recommend it for people who aren't intersectional feminists, it gets preachy, don't get me wrong, it can get interesting at moments with the mysteries at certain points.
Not an "intersectional feminist". Likes it anyway. Maybe you just need to get with the times?

Still at times its so heavy it like taking a women's studies course, so if that would bother a person too much, they will not enjoy the show.
It would have been nice to discuss this from a fantasy point of view (as the OP clearly intended), and keep the politics out of it, but I guess it's too late now.

Also if you are expecting an updated version of the 1990's show, you will be disappointed because this new show is horror, not cheesy comedy like the 1990's one was.
Fair enough, but I don't miss the old show at all. This is much more interesting. This show is above all gorgeous - Halloween has never looked better! :)

Last edited:

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I'm glad other people find this show as funny as I do. I told a co-worker that I thought Sabrina was absolutely hilarious, and he looked at me like there was something wrong with me.

I mean, I don't laugh while I'm watching the show, but when I think about it afterwards, I'm like: HOLY CRAP those folks just trolled me hard. I mean, the women's club at the school is called W.I.C.C.A. and everybody acts like it's not a thing! And the giant statue of the Horned Lord in the middle of the witch school? Comedy gold

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I'll plug Riverdale again for anyone who enjoyed the new Sabrina. It's entertaining as hell, moves at a shocking pace (but maybe I've just been traumatized by Supernatural), and is the most funny when it is at its most ludicrous. The first season's mystery is at least pretty solid, also. My partner based her cleric off of Betty.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'll plug Riverdale again for anyone who enjoyed the new Sabrina. It's entertaining as hell, moves at a shocking pace (but maybe I've just been traumatized by Supernatural), and is the most funny when it is at its most ludicrous. The first season's mystery is at least pretty solid, also. My partner based her cleric off of Betty.
Not to mention season 3 of Riverdale has an entire plot based on a Dungeons & Dragons type game (called Gryphons and Gargoyles), where all of the 1980s Satanic Panic" aspects of the game are actually true.

I did not think that Chilling Tales was preachy, so much as I thought that many of the characters are overtly sexist. Although, that some of them are demons or otherwise fanatically inclined makes that somewhat less surprising.

I didn't watch Riverdale, mostly because I don't have enough time for a lot of tv watching, but I've heard pretty good things about it.

gyor

Legend
Not an "intersectional feminist". Likes it anyway. Maybe you just need to get with the times?

It would have been nice to discuss this from a fantasy point of view (as the OP clearly intended), and keep the politics out of it, but I guess it's too late now.

Fair enough, but I don't miss the old show at all. This is much more interesting. This show is above all gorgeous - Halloween has never looked better! :)

For what it's worth eventually they seem to tone all that stuff done eventually and focus on the plot.

And in some ways it is better then the 1990's show yes, but fans of the 1990's show might in some cases be disappointed by this show, as it is so different from the original.

And you can't complete separate the politics of show from talking about it because it is so prominent within the show.

Still, I am starting to enjoy the show so I'm not being a hater, just giving people a heads up.

And I've decussed the fantasy side too and still main the Sabrina is more a Tiefling then a Half Elf.

Remove ads