Sad Day In Syracuse

LightPhoenix

First Post
Today, I found out the a big FLGS around here closed down - Altered States. I don't really know when this happened, but it wasn't their doing... the new owner of the property didn't want them there.

The news isn't all dire... they do have a small store in our illustrious Carousel Mall (gag), and they even managed to fit in a little play area. However, as soon as I walked in, I could feel the impact this had on the store. Most especially, a lot of the secondary market stuff they had is gone - minis, cards, and the like that were collectable and resold. The old store had pretty much anything you could find. Comics and RPG books were hurt too though, but I didn't have enough time to really go through and look at what they had an didn't have. Unfortunately, a lot of room needed to be made for stuff they knew they could move.

[EDIT] By this I mean stuff to be resold... not packs of DDM, 40k, or anything...

Honestly, I'm pretty bummed about this. Should the new AS store (not called that name, btw, but it's on the first floor next to Bath and Body Works... heh) go under, that will leave Syracuse, a moderate-sized city, without a gaming store, to my knowledge. Sadness.

Also, I'm not thrilled with their chances... rent is astronomically high in the mall, and other gaming stores have come and gone within a year or two. I don't know how well the Games Workshop stores are doing, but they recently had to close their store in that mall. AS's earlier outlet store in that mall didn't do very well either. Admittedly, neither store was in a great location... that can't really be said of the current store. Still, I'm filled with trepidation and sadness... Syracuse used to have a great gaming community, with both Twilight and Altered States going.

Anyway, I just needed to share with people I knew would get why I'm bummed.

Mycanid

First Post
MAJOR bummer. First Twilight, and now Altered States.

Where do gamers go to get their supplies in Syracuse now?

Yes, yes - I mean OTHER than online.

No doubt I will hear the lamentations from my old friends in the next couple of days. :\

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Why do I have a weird image of a shopping center that is built on some kind of a large turntable?
Welcome to Mechanus Mall, for all your Modron oriented shopping needs. For your convenience it is requested that you remain in position until the desired shop arrives in your vicinity. Please, for your own safety, and the safety of others, do not jump on to a moving shop, but wait until it comes to a complete stop. When the shop is in motion please do not pass beyond the painted yellow lines.

I hope that your local shop finds a new, larger, and less expensive location, and that loyal customers can find their way to the new area.

The Auld Grump

Remove ads