Sage Advice: Sneak Attacks, Breath Weapons, and Magic Weapons

The month's Sage Advice column by WotC's Jeremy Crawford covers the rogue's sneak attacks, ability modifiers to use with attack roles, and answers the questions "does anti-magic field work on a dragon's breath weapon?" (no), and "do magic weapons automatically give you bonus to both attack and damage rolls?" (only if it says so in the description).

The month's Sage Advice column by WotC's Jeremy Crawford covers the rogue's sneak attacks, ability modifiers to use with attack roles, and answers the questions "does anti-magic field work on a dragon's breath weapon?" (no), and "do magic weapons automatically give you bonus to both attack and damage rolls?" (only if it says so in the description).

The Sage Advice Compendium PDF has been updated to include this information. You can read the current column here.

So by this article's logic, a Sun Soul Monk loses Radiant Sun Bolt in an antimagic field, but can still throw kamehamehas and use its 17th level ability?

Hmmmm...Something's not adding up right...

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
So by this article's logic, a Sun Soul Monk loses Radiant Sun Bolt in an antimagic field, but can still throw kamehamehas and use its 17th level ability?

Hmmmm...Something's not adding up right...
Weird, I thought they couldn't throw kamehamehas until their level was somewhere over nine thousand.

Weird, I thought they couldn't throw kamehamehas until their level was somewhere over nine thousand.

I'm away from book right now, so I didn't know the names off the top of my head. Therefore, I reverted to my initial impressions of hadouken, kamehameha, and super saiyan.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I like that there's a straightforward way to decide. Of course if you're the DM and think a certain case should count as magic, you can just say it is.

Remove ads

Remove ads