Sage Response: More on Mind Blank

Zenon

First Post
Mind Blank versions

OK, I'm at home and dug out the ancient books:

The first version of Mind Blank that I can find can be found in the Greyhawk Supplement (mine is 10th printing), I guess this would be the OD&D version -

Mind Blank
By casting this spell on any person the magic-user prevents any form of detection by ESP, Clairvoyance, Clairaudience, Crystal Ball gazing (including any other form of scrying) Wishing, Commune, or Contact Higher Plane. Duration: 1 game day. Range: 1"

The next version I have is the AD&D PHB -

Mind Blank
Level: 8
Range: 3"
Duration: 1 day
Area of Effect: One creature
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 segment
Saving Throw: None

Explaination/description: When the very powerful Mind Blank spell is cast, the recipient is totally protected from all devices and/or spells which detect, influence or read emotions and/or thoughts. Protection includes Augery, Charm, Command, Confusion, Divination [Zenon note: Divination is a 4th level cleric spell, a super augery], Empathy (all forms), Fear, Feeblemind, Mass Suggestion, Phantasmal Killer, Possesion, Rulership, Soul Trapping, Suggestion and Telepathy. Cloaking protection also extends to prevention of discovery or information gathering by crystal balls or other scrying devices, Clairaudience, Clairvoyance, Communing, Contact Other Planes or wish realted methods [wishing, limited wish, alter reality]Of course, exceeding powerful deities would be able to penetrate the spells powers. Note that this spell also protects from psionic-related detection and/or influence such as Domination (or Mass Domination), Hypnosis, Invisibility (the psionic sort is mind related), and Precognition, plus those powers already covered as spells.

From the SRD -

Mind Blank

Abjuration
Level: Protection 8, Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

The subject is protected from all devices and spells that detect, influence, or read emotions or thoughts. This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects. Mind blank even foils limited wish, miracle, and wish when they are used in such a way as to affect the subject’s mind or to gain information about him. In the case of scrying that scans an area that the creature is in, such as arcane eye, the spell works but the creature simply isn’t detected. Scrying attempts that are targeted specifically at the subject do not work at all.

If there is a different writeup in the red box set (what I think we're calling 1e), post it out here and we can look at all of them at once.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
I was wrong, but here they all are

Zenon

I was wrong, 2nd edition does not contain the protection from all divinations.

Now that I look back on it mind blank only came up versus scrying in that campaign, never vs simple detects.

when I talk about 1e I mean advanced dungeons and dragons (1st edition).

Wasn't the red boxed set just basic D&D covering levels 1-3?

Anyway, here is the evolution in one post from 1e, to 2e to 3e.

Here is the 1e PH version (copied from the ESD)

Mind Blank (Abjuration)
Level: 8 Components: V,S
Range: 3"
Area of Effect: One creature
Casting Time: 1 segment
Saving Throw: None
Explanation/Description: When the very powerful mind blank spell is cast, the recipient is totally protected from all devices and/or spells which
detect, influence, or read emotions and/or thoughts. Protection includes augury, charm, command, confusion, divination, empathy (all forms), ESP, fear, feeblemind, mass suggestion, phantasmal killer, possession, rulership, soul trapping, suggestion, and telepathy. Cloaking protection also extends to prevention of discovery or information gathering by crystal balls or other scrying devices, clairoudience, clairvoyance, communing, contacting other planes, or wish-related methods (wishing, limited wish,
alter reailty). Of course, exceedingly powerful deities would be able to penetrate the spell's powers. Note that this spell also protects from
psionic-related detection and/or influence such as domination (or mass domination), hypnosis, invisibility (the psionic sort is mind related), and precognition, plus those powers which are already covered as spells.

Here is the 2nd edition player's handbook version (copied from the html cd):

Mind Blank
(Abjuration)

Range: 30 yds. Components: V, S
Duration: 1 day Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: 1 creature Saving Throw: None

When the very powerful mind blank spell is cast, the creature is totally protected from all devices and spells that detect, influence, or read emotions or thoughts. This protects against augury, charm, command, confusion, divination, empathy (all forms), ESP, fear, feeblemind, mass suggestion, phantasmal killer, possession, rulership, soul trapping, suggestion, and telepathy. Cloaking protection also extends to the prevention of discovery or information gathering by crystal balls or other scrying devices, clairaudience, clairvoyance, communing, contacting other planes, or wish-related methods (wish or limited wish). Of course, exceedingly powerful deities can penetrate the spell's barrier.

and finally, here is the 3rd edition mind blank from the SRD:

Mind Blank

Abjuration
Level: Protection 8, Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

The subject is protected from all devices and spells that detect, influence, or read emotions or
thoughts. This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects. Mind blank even foils limited wish, miracle, and wish when they are used in such a way as to affect the subject’s mind or to gain information about him. In the case of scrying that scans an area that the creature is in, such as arcane eye, the spell works but the creature simply isn’t detected. Scrying attempts that are targeted specifically at the subject do not
work at all.

So for conclusions:

1e and 2e did not protect against all divinations. The "This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects." language was added into 3e.

1e did protect against telepathy, scrying, scry type spells, other planar contact info spells, and similar psionic powers. 1e also protected against possession which none of the others do, and rulership, which I assume refers to the rod of rulership.

1e and 2e can be penetrated by gods, but 3e does not include such a reference.

All 3 editions protect against wishes.

I would say that except for possession protection, 3e, as written, is more powerful than both of its predecessor spell versions.

Remove ads