Sage Response: More on Mind Blank

Ristamar

Adventurer
Hot off the press, and slightly edited for spelling errors, formatting, and my own misuse of See Invisibility (I accidentally called it Detect Invisibility :rolleyes: )

Dear Mr. Williams,

There have been lengthy discussions revolving around the Mind Blank spell on the ENWorld messageboards.

Some people have too much time on their hands, eh?

You recently answered a question regarding the Mind Blank spell vs. the effects of True Strike, stating that Mind Blank does not affect True Strike. Many people resting on both sides of the issue we're hoping you could offer an explanation as to why it does not.

True strike doesn't reveal anything about a particular creature, so mind blank has no effect on the spell.

In addition, there have been questions raised concerning how Mind Blank functions in conjunction with other spells. For example, lets say a wizard casts Mind Blank and Improved Invisibility on himself. Does the invisibilty now count as part of the caster, or is it considered a seperate entity in regards to spells like See Invisibility?

Mind blank is not effective against see invisibility (non detection is). Mind blank protects against devices and spells that detect, influence, or read emotions or thoughts. And against scrying, which is magical information gathering conducted remotely. See invisibility is not scrying.

In other words, is the Mind Blanked/Invisible wizard protected from See Invisibility? Detect Magic? True Seeing?

No in all three cases.

What about magic equipment and weapons the caster is carrying... do the same conditions apply?

See previous answer.

In short, if you could offer up a more detailed and comprehensive
explanation of Mind Blank and the protections it does or does not afford (beyond what is provided in the PHB), it would be much appreciated.

See previous answers.

Skip Williams
RPG R&D

From what he's stated, it now seems clear that the physical 'information gathering' protections of Mind Blank are limited to magical scrying, and it was not intended to be a universal protection vs. divination spells. Works for me. *shrug*

You know the routine. Discuss.

Last edited:

Ristamar

Adventurer
IceBear said:

:)

Seems like you caught him in a good mood :)

IceBear

Hehe. That's what I thought... but sadly, he does have a point. *chuckle* Maybe he's just feeling a bit spunky.

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
Yes, yes he does :(

Just wish work was a little more busy so I didn't have too much time on my hands which I then spend on these - more or less - pointless debates.

IceBear

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
What? I thought mind blank protects against true strike, the detect spells, true seeing, poisons, multiple sneak attacks, ECL 4 lizardfolk, shield-using monks, buckets of snails, and melee attacks!

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
You forgot multiple-sneak attacks by lizardmen (+4ECL variety) or shield weilding monks :)

IceBear

Last edited:

Xarlen

First Post
...tarrasque Bards, Uber-Nightmare, Shifter Oozes, Elf/Dwarf Forsakers, Other Mind-blanks, and, of course...

A blind kobold.

Remove ads