• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sales of upcoming Greyhawk Ruins will determine it's future

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
GVDammerung said:
Greyhawk lacks the potential of an Eberron or Realms. Both of these are worlds. Greyhawk is really just the Flanaess, a small part of one continent and the fringes of little more.
Frank Mentzer's Aquaria is set in Oerth, it is highly detailed, and played in continuously for 20+ years.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Perhaps the only way a new Greyhawk Campaign book will satisify every group of fans is to make it a legacy item. No, not that kind.

I'm thinking of a book that tells the history of "Greyhawk the Setting", while also referencing all the eras with updated rules. For example, begin with the 1980 & 83 gazetteers, include the early Dragon articles, maybe pieces from the early GH modules. Then progress on to post 576CY WARS and 2nd Edition materials. Finally end with the new Living RPGA materials (including some from members' own material too).

It wouldn't be that radically different from most CS books. Just think in terms of mechanics; mark off each portion of any entry under an era or two. Region and History chapters could have strong demarcations. New rules and updates could easily reference NPCs, lands, and creatures from all played history (576-600?) or even before.

Wizards, if they do any GHCS at all, isn't going to publish era books like Weiss is currently doing for Dragonlance. What they do have to their advantage is the majority of older materials already in text. Half of that stuff has become D&D nostalgia. Heck, even the old maps could just be shrunk down to show multiple eras of play.

Lastly, and I have to say this just as an incentive, they could price the damn thing out at 75$ and wrap it up like the 30 years of D&D coffeetable book they put out. Crazy GH lovers will pick it up no matter the cost. (meaning: if you can't sell it as a supplement, sell it for what you can)

Last edited:

Zendragon said:
Are you still playing the original box set? Are you still playing the same characters you did then too? Things change. If you enjoy Greyhawk then enjoy the new product. All I am saying is I don't want it to be brought back as the default setting

What I see is that Greyhawk would be about the only continuity in the game's entire history (besides the very name of the game).

Me, I love greyhawk and it's the AP's that got me into them.

kenobi65

First Post
howandwhy99 said:
New rules and updates could easily reference NPCs, lands, and creatures from all played history (576-600?) or even before.

Just FYI, Living Greyhawk started out (in late 200) in CY 591. The LG modules from 2000 and 2001 took place in CY 591 . Since then, they've advanced the Greyhawk calendar on a year-for-year basis -- modules published this year take place in CY 597.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads