D&D 4E Samurai's 4e rules changes and additions

Samurai

Adventurer
Here is the list of changes and additions I currently plan to use. It includes fixes for every problem I could find, such as the Skill Challenges and multiclassing. It adds quite a few new feats, including the return of some old favorites like the Paladin's Mount and a Ranger's Wild Empathy, it has simple rules for the Sorcerer (a variant kind of Wizard/Warlock), rebalances some powers and abilities, and in general significantly improves 4e in my opinion. Many of the problems were identified by my fellow Enworld posters, as well as some of the fixes. I hope you find this useful, and I'm happy to answer questions!

Attachments

• D&D 4e rules changes 1.4.pdf
    126.4 KB · Views: 296

malcolm_n

Adventurer
I have not yet read the rules you changed, but my first thought at the title was it'd be nice to see what you did with the samurai... then i realized that's your name. lol

Samurai

Adventurer
ShadowyFigure said:
One I suggest you change is Shadow Wasp Strike. A Ranger power on page 106.
Why do you feel it needs to be changed? It seems ok at first glance... do you feel it's too strong or too weak, and why?

ShadowyFigure

First Post
ok

its restricted, the creature has to be your quarry. You only do 2[w]+modifier damage. Its a 3rd level encounter. At 1st level I can do 2[w]+modifier damage and shift 1+wis squares. A better effect... The other powers of the level allow either, two attacks or a descent effect.

Samurai

Adventurer
ShadowyFigure said:
ok

its restricted, the creature has to be your quarry. You only do 2[w]+modifier damage. Its a 3rd level encounter. At 1st level I can do 2[w]+modifier damage and shift 1+wis squares. A better effect... The other powers of the level allow either, two attacks or a descent effect.
Ah, ok, I see what you mean. Evasive Strike is better because it does everything SWS does without the restriction and plus you get to move. Ok, how about if, since the target needs to be your quarry, we say that the Hunter's Quarry dice for this attack automatically do max damage? If they're going to make Quarry a requirement, we might as well use it, right?

Khaalis

Adventurer
Couple quick comments from v1.5, I'll work on more later. This is a LOT of house rules.

1) INT BONUS:
* What if the PC has a negative modifier? Does it matter or is it considered 0 for this?
* You might want to specifically make a list of all Background Skills (or at least the basic examples, using the 3.5 PHB examples as a place to start).

2) HALF-ELF:
* I think the +2 to one of 3 scores might become seriously abused. Its basically giving a +2 to any stat of choice Other than INT.
* Not keen on the +1 Reflex DEF (you say 'saves' btw not defense). Too similar to the Elf. If anything the race needs something to link it to being part human. I might think of giving them a +1 to saves.

3) HALFLINGS:
* +2 to Initiative is a Major bonus. I'd drop this back to a +1.

4) DIVINE FORTUNE:
* Think this is a bit too powerful. No other power I can think off the top of my head adds to all die rolls for the duration of the turn. They usually effect 1 die roll.

5) RANGER:
* If you take Prime Shot away from TWF rangers, what do they get to replace it?

6) WARLOCK:
* Not sure nerfing the infernal pact is necessary. Keep in mind Temp HP don't stack, and in most cases these temp HP aren't even enough to cover a single attack's damage.

7) WIZARD:
* The Wand/Orb/Staff implements are a bit complicated. You are basically giving the same bonuses but making them even better by making them Interrupt Re-rolls. I think that might be a bit too much.

*Familiar
-- This is similar to what I will do. However, the free power up is too much. I would make "Improve Familiar" a Ritual that costs the same amount of cash it would cost for an equivalent bonus to another implement. You are basically giving away 6 free magic items here. That's too much.

-- I would not include anything about the familiar being anything other than an implement in the base description. If necessary I would stat it out as a Level 1 Minion that's special ability is cannot be targeted by attacks.

-- As for powers like spell linking, etc. I would make these feats.

*Spellbook: Wow, that's a bit complex. Have to think on this one, but the whole 'package' concept isn't sinking in as making much sense.

I'll try to do more later.

DogBackward

First Post
You might wanna look at the wording on your Wand Implement Mastery abilitie. You can't use Immediate Actions (Interrupts or Reactions) on your own turn. That should be Free Action, not an Immediate Interrupt. I like that they'd be a little more than just flat bonuses or penalties now. Do you keep the +1 AC bonus from the Staff of Defense, though?

Sorceror is an interesting idea; I'd wanna see it in play before commenting on it, though. I don't have the time right now to dig through all the powers you've changed, so I can't say anything about those.

The Bolt feat is very nifty. I still wonder what they did with Line effects. Eldritch Essence seems kinda powerful, but the Healing Surge cost might makes it better. I'd have Fists of Fury give a +2 proficiency bonus. And I like the Lesser Spell Accuracy ability, too. I think Roll with the Blow is a bit much for a Heroic feat, unless you say it "uses up" your Second Chance power. Otherwise, I'd make it Paragon. And the Winged Flight feat should be Paragon at least, as well.

Most of these look like pretty nifty ideas, though. Nice.

Remove ads