[San Francisco, CA] Looking for game (store)

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
Hi, all. During the pandemic, I moved from Massachusetts to SF, and, now that things have (kind of) taken a turn for the better, I've been looking for a game store here in the Bay Area. I can see them on Google, of course, but I was wondering if anyone here had any specific recommendations of particularly good stores. My preference would be to stay on the peninsula, and SF, Daly City, and South San Francisco are the easiest places for me to get to. Grateful for any thoughts folks may have. Thanks!

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Hi, all. During the pandemic, I moved from Massachusetts to SF, and, now that things have (kind of) taken a turn for the better, I've been looking for a game store here in the Bay Area. I can see them on Google, of course, but I was wondering if anyone here had any specific recommendations of particularly good stores. My preference would be to stay on the peninsula, and SF, Daly City, and South San Francisco are the easiest places for me to get to. Grateful for any thoughts folks may have. Thanks!
Where are you in San Francisco? There are a few great game stores in different neighborhoods.

I just moved from San Francisco, so if you let me know what neighborhood you're in, I'll give you some recommendations!

Old Fezziwig

Where are you in San Francisco? There are a few great game stores in different neighborhoods.

I just moved from San Francisco, so if you let me know what neighborhood you're in, I'll give you some recommendations!
That'd be great; thank you! We're in Noe Valley, closer to Twin Peaks than the Mission.

niklinna

satisfied?
I live near Gamescape, which is on Divisadero between Page and Oak. They used to be about half roleplaying games, now they are much less, but they still host gaming nights in the back of the store (not that I have ever attended). Games of Berkeley, in Berkeley (of course) rents out rooms to play in. They shut down for the pandemic just before I was going to check them out, but I heard they reopened.

Old Fezziwig

I live near Gamescape, which is on Divisadero between Page and Oak. They used to be about half roleplaying games, now they are much less, but they still host gaming nights in the back of the store (not that I have ever attended). Games of Berkeley, in Berkeley (of course) rents out rooms to play in. They shut down for the pandemic just before I was going to check them out, but I heard they reopened.
Thanks! I'll have to check out both of these. (Nearly two years here, and I've yet to go over to Berkeley, believe it or not.)

niklinna

satisfied?
Thanks! I'll have to check out both of these. (Nearly two years here, and I've yet to go over to Berkeley, believe it or not.)
There is some weird force field preventing many people from traversing the bay. Most of my friends who've moved to the east bay, I never see any more. Even though I regularly go to the east bay for tango. I suppose I should start heading over there for RPGs! :LOL: All my gaming is online any more....

Old Fezziwig

There is some weird force field preventing many people from traversing the bay. Most of my friends who've moved to the east bay, I never see any more. Even though I regularly go to the east bay for tango. I suppose I should start heading over there for RPGs! :LOL: All my gaming is online any more....
I have at least been to the East Bay (my office is there, though I'm fully remote), though I'm somewhat reluctant to go.

Mind you, this is utterly unreasonable. Oakland is a neat city, and I like it. But as a baseball fan, images of the damage to the Bay Bridge during the Loma Prieta earthquake loom larger in my imagination and memory than is reasonable. (They're also highly inaccurate memories: maybe it's because I'm a New Englander, but my conceptual framework for earthquake damage is unreasonable and tends towards the apocalyptic. And I'm also probably remembering the damage to 880 and conflating it with the damage to the Bay Bridge.) I like BART well enough, and I suppose it would be an alternative to the Bay Bridge, but I feel like I've gotten away with something each time I take it to Oakland without ending up in a watery grave.

niklinna

satisfied?
I have at least been to the East Bay (my office is there, though I'm fully remote), though I'm somewhat reluctant to go.

Mind you, this is utterly unreasonable. Oakland is a neat city, and I like it. But as a baseball fan, images of the damage to the Bay Bridge during the Loma Prieta earthquake loom larger in my imagination and memory than is reasonable. (They're also highly inaccurate memories: maybe it's because I'm a New Englander, but my conceptual framework for earthquake damage is unreasonable and tends towards the apocalyptic. And I'm also probably remembering the damage to 880 and conflating it with the damage to the Bay Bridge.) I like BART well enough, and I suppose it would be an alternative to the Bay Bridge, but I feel like I've gotten away with something each time I take it to Oakland without ending up in a watery grave.
Well, they've replaced the whole east span of the Bay Bridge. It's gorgeous. (And the construction of course had its own controversy, but it seems to have passed now.) Your transit time depends heavily on the time of day, unfortunately. It can take 10 minutes to get to the east bay, or an hour!

BART is a pain. Literally, due to the screeching electric paddles. And yeah, riding through a tube underwater in an earthquake zone is not something I'm keen on.

Remove ads