Saturday night?

Dire Wolf

First Post
So, I was wondering if anybody has any ideas about what to do after the gaming is over on Saturday night? I'm not from the area so I'm not sure what the options are, but I don't really see why the fun has to end when the gaming does! If anybody has any ideas as to where we can go for some food and whatnot after the gaming is over post them here!

madwabbit

First Post
So, I was wondering if anybody has any ideas about what to do after the gaming is over on Saturday night? I'm not from the area so I'm not sure what the options are, but I don't really see why the fun has to end when the gaming does! If anybody has any ideas as to where we can go for some food and whatnot after the gaming is over post them here!
As I posted over on CM, there are TWO Irish pubs/restaurants within two blocks of the gamesite, but it is also the Saturday night before St. Paddy's Day, so that might be ... interesting, to say the least.

There is a Capitol City Brewery (which is also a restaurant) near the gamesite, and there are some other dining options over at Union Station, as I recall.

Within Metro or cab distance, there is also Chinatown and the Verizon Center corridor (which has all kinds of restaurants and such there).

madwabbit

First Post
FYI, we have the gamesite space until 1000pm.

Unless there's any more feedback otherwise, I think this is what we should plan for Saturday night, in descending order of preference for my limited desire to organize:

1) I could call ahead and make a reservation for 20 or more at the Capitol City Brewery (Capitol City Brewing Company), which is three blocks away from the gamesite. at 900pm-ish. It would probably be best to have an exact headcount of those planning on attending AND I should probably do that preferably today, no later than midday tomorrow.

2) Go across the street from the gamesite to the Billy Goat Tavern (World Famous Billy Goat Tavern & Grill - Locations), and either eat in or order to go. Billy Goat is a pro-carnivore grill-type place, so choices are limited there (but very tasty).

2) Go some other place nearby: there are two Irish pubs/restaurants close, The Dubliner (The Dubliner | An Irish Pub in the Phoenix Park Hotel, Washington, D.C.) and Kelly's Irish Times (MySpace.com - Kelly's Irish Times - 31 - Male - WASHINGTON, WASHINGTON DC - www.myspace.com/kellys_irishtimes). Both are likely to be very busy and noisy, as it's a Saturday night AND St. Paddy's Day is Tuesday (which means you drink heavily to celebrate on the weekend nights preceding it, by Irish logic). Since the Dubliner is more of a restaurant, we *might* be able to get seated there, since our likely arrival time is 900pm or thereabouts (unlikely, though, but we can try and get a reservation). Kelly's is a toilet, and the owner's a jerk, but they do serve Guinness, and Guinness makes the world go 'round -- it's a frat-boy, Hill intern, meet-market type place that I'd only set foot in if it was the LAST place on earth that served Guinness. And the owner's a jerk.

3) Attempt to order pizzas in, or hike several blocks to some other eatery nearby, or Metro someplace else. I have little to zero interest in trying to coordinate this option.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Whatever works.

If I had to choose I'd go with #1. I would try to make a reservation for 20 and as people trickle in with their yes or no's you can adjust. It's not the best but it's doubtful you're going to get everyone in here to respond.

Thanks for taking care of this Tom, the out of towners (at least we) really appreciate it.

Cassander

First Post
It looks like #1 is the best option, but I will just warn that I have been there with reservations for big groups and the service has been terrible. I haven't been there in years, so hopefully things have changed, but at one point it was so bad that the manager had to come to sort everything out and make sure everyone got what they had ordered... and then it still didn't happen even after he said he'd take care of it himself. I don't expect it to be that bad, and sometimes it's fine, especially for smaller groups, but don't expect the best service in the world and be patient.

My favorite restaurant in the area is a Thai place called Kanlaya, but that's probably too far away since it's either a 10-15 minute walk or a metro ride to gallery place away.

Remove ads