Savage Species: Feral Question

DarkMan

First Post
If you were to add the Feral template to a standard pc race (elf, for example), would the new creation receive the special attacks or special qualities (i.e. darkvision, fast healing) as if he/she had 1 monster hit die, or none? I'm aware that class levels don't count as monster hit die for progression in these special abilities.

LokiDR

First Post
It does not say "monster hit die" only hit dice. Hence you count all hit dice, not excluding class levels. This is similar to the half-celestial template and the abilities it grants based on HD.

DarkMan

First Post
Well, I also thought that. But under special attacks, it reads:

"It gains the special attacks indicated in the row corresponding to its monster Hit Dice, plus all those in previous rows." -SS p. 116

Also, I believe I heard (or read) that for templates, abilities that change with hit dice use monster hit dice, not class levels. The exception being the half-fiend and half-celestial, where it specifically says "class level."

melkoriii

First Post
DarkMan said:

"It gains the special attacks indicated in the row corresponding to its monster Hit Dice, plus all those in previous rows." -SS p. 116

Also, I believe I heard (or read) that for templates, abilities that change with hit dice use monster hit dice, not class levels. The exception being the half-fiend and half-celestial, where it specifically says "class level."

The thing is that in SS.

There are no Monster HD. You have Monster Classes.

LokiDR

First Post
DarkMan said:

This is right after it says "A feral creature gains additional special attacks depending on it Hit Dice. . . ." That looks like a typo. Is there errata on SS yet?

DarkMan said:

I have never seen that. Do you have a reference? There aren't many templates that give more abilites based on HD though.

DarkMan

First Post
LokiDR said:

I have never seen that. Do you have a reference? There aren't many templates that give more abilites based on HD though.

Rich Redman said on the Wizards board that inherited templates' scaleable abilities are based on monster HD when you add the template. The introductory section of the template chapter in SS seems to hint at this at times, but its all very subtle and non-specific.

:confused:

Naar

First Post
As Darkman said, Rich Redman clarified that the Feral template only takes into account monster HD when determining the benefits.

Think of it this way: if you want to make a Feral Elf, you're applying the Feral template to a 1HD Humanoid. However, Elves don't advance by adding more Humanoid HD, they advance by adding classes, so they don't get beyond Fast Healing 2, Improved Grab, and so on.

Besides, isn't a +1 LA a bit small for Pounce, Fast Healing 5, Darkvision 120ft. and all the other nice things the Feral template adds?

Last edited:

LokiDR

First Post
Naar said:
Think of it this way: if you want to make a Feral Elf, you're applying the Feral template to a 1HD Humanoid. However, Elves don't advance by adding more Humanoid HD, they advance by adding classes, so they don't get beyond Fast Healing 2, Improved Grab, and so on.

Besides, isn't a +1 LA a bit small for Pounce, Fast Healing 5, Darkvision 120ft. and all the other nice things the Feral template adds?

An elf without a class level isn't a character. Rich appeartly doesn't notice this inconsistancy. Or the ambigous writing of the template in the book. Also, just because someone says it on a messageboard doesn't make it official.

And if you don't want unbalanced, don't use Savage Species :)

DarkMan

First Post
Naar said:

This takes me back to my original question: Does that feral elf get those abilities, or does he technically have no monster HD when he trades it in for a class?

LokiDR

First Post
DarkMan said:

This takes me back to my original question: Does that feral elf get those abilities, or does he technically have no monster HD when he trades it in for a class?

This makes no sense. Just do this: only use the HD the character has when they made a feral creature. That should fix the problem.

I maintain it is written as using all HD.

Remove ads