• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Savage Worlds vs 13th Age

SW is always gonna feel little bit pulpy. While it can be swingy it actually very hard to to kill a character. Incapacitate sure, kill, not easy. SW supports mostly action and action adjacent games. It is not the game I would pick for a gritty low fantasy experience (though with the Gritty Damage, and Tough Choices setting rules it could get close).

In my experience the 'swinginess' in SW is overblown. The current edition, SWADE, has some rules that prevent the arch-villian/one round death event. I've run well over 100 sessions of SWADE. I like it. Other than PF1 it's probably the game I've run most.

When I want to run something where characters are strong, but don't escalate to demi-gods, where mixed genre elements are needed, or when I want to run something action/investigative (think Nights Black Agents or Pulp Cthulhu) it's the game I would reach for first.

I like 13A but have never run it so I can't speak to its playability at the table. Alot of folks have issues with Icons, and their implementation. I don't like the One Unique Thing in 13A but intellectually I can see it's appeal. I'd run 13A before I ran 5e, no question. I'd run Savage Pathfinder before I ran either.

Remove ads