Kickstarter Scale75 Insant Color Kickstarter

teitan

Legend

Hey I found this pretty neat Kickstarter for miniature painters that funded in 23 hours and is still going. I swear I am not affiliated! I just thought it would be cool to share with everyone. For those of us who paint minis I thought it would be a pretty good deal!

Scale75 is doing a line of paints very similar to Games Workshop’s Contrast Paints. For those who don’t know, Contrast Paint is a line of Citadel paints that are designed to flow and create highlights and shade through the properties of the paint. It’s essentially a one or two coats and done paint for miniatures.

Scale75’s line is called Instant Color and they look to be fantastic and perform more consistently across the range. I backed it at the 210 EURO level earlier but you don’t have to select that level to get all the sets they offer, you can buy each set for 25 EURO using that pledge level and then adding on the other five sets. The range is larger than Citade, 34 colors vs a very broad range of 48. In comparison you are paying less than $5 a bottle which with similar paint lines is about 40% off during the Kickstarter.

pogre

Legend
Big fan of Scale 75 - I own a ton of their stuff.

Bit nervous about the pandemic. Probably hold off and buy it when it hits the shelves.

Besides, my painting desk is so full of paints, I don't know where I would put it!

teitan

Legend
I thought of you when I posted this! I went all in, never done a kickstarter before but delivery is October so a pretty decent turn around! Let me know what you think when you finally get some. I plan to do a heavy compare & contrast (snicker) review.

Retreater

Legend
I'm curious. I keep going back to it several times a day. I'm trying to research a lot. I have never used Scale75, and I'm pretty picky about my paints (for example, I hate Army Painter). So I'm extra nervous because this also seems a completely different direction for their line.
It's a big purchase. And not getting the whole line just seems like you won't get enough to really work with. Like I have to get the big box to even get their required primer. And the more affordable sets don't have a good variety. (They seem like 4 different blues and 4 shades of blue-green in a box, for example.)

teitan

Legend
I'm curious. I keep going back to it several times a day. I'm trying to research a lot. I have never used Scale75, and I'm pretty picky about my paints (for example, I hate Army Painter). So I'm extra nervous because this also seems a completely different direction for their line.
It's a big purchase. And not getting the whole line just seems like you won't get enough to really work with. Like I have to get the big box to even get their required primer. And the more affordable sets don't have a good variety. (They seem like 4 different blues and 4 shades of blue-green in a box, for example.)

For sure, I've heard nothing but good things about Scale75 from our local pros, unlike AP they are an art company as well. I plan to use the backerkit to try out some of their normal paints as they are pretty cheap through the kickstarter. You don't need to get the full 210 euro set to buy all the colors though. You can get the full set for 150 euro once the campaign ends. My wife just really wants the box and primers. The primers look like the similar primers for Citadel's Contrast paints so those aren't standing out to me as much except that we prefer brush on primer to rattle can.

Retreater

Legend
Bad reviews are coming in. I did order the entire line, picked it up yesterday, but haven't tried them yet. Apparently the pigment is very low, most colors are so faint that you have to do several passes to get it to even show up. From what I've read it doesn't pool in the recesses, so you have to do a second shade/wash over the mini to give it depth. The colors are also said to be inaccurate to what's in the bottles.
Has anyone tried these paints yet? I'm in the middle of a project and don't want to switch lines midway through and break up the theme of my game, so it will be a while before I actually use them.

teitan

Legend
Well they work like contrast paints from GW. Those don’t match what you see in the bottle either, the bottle looks darker and very different. We painted swatches so we knew what each color would look like. My wife has painted a couple minis so far and they look as good as they would with the contrast line. I don’t have pics at the moment. Layering does help just like with contrast paints but we view them as a tool in the box rather than a line of paint.

TheSword

Legend
My problem with contrast paints is that they only really save the base coat and shade layers, which to be honest usually isn’t that time consuming. It’s the details that take the time and trying to do those with contrast paints are really hard. If you want one or two colour miniatures then I guess this could work. Seems designed for space marines, tyranids and purple worms to me.

Retreater

Legend
Well they work like contrast paints from GW. Those don’t match what you see in the bottle either, the bottle looks darker and very different. We painted swatches so we knew what each color would look like. My wife has painted a couple minis so far and they look as good as they would with the contrast line. I don’t have pics at the moment. Layering does help just like with contrast paints but we view them as a tool in the box rather than a line of paint.
I'm not finding it to be the case that they work like Citadel's contrast at all. I tried a model with it, and it turned out like garbage. I repainted the whole thing with Army Painter.
You're using it like layer paints?
I just can't imagine getting results even half as good as Contrast with these paints.

teitan

Legend
We’ve found they have a learning curve, seems a Scale75 thing from people I know who love their paints. My wife was frustrated at first as well but now she’s got the knack.

Remove ads