Scales of War finale!

Hussar

Legend
I recall some time ago that there was a fair amount of complaint about the lack of a DM's outline from the outset of the AP. Was this corrected? Was it needed?

Windjammer

Adventurer
I recall some time ago that there was a fair amount of complaint about the lack of a DM's outline from the outset of the AP. Was this corrected? Was it needed?

It wasn't so much that WotC didn't provide an outline at all. It was just felt by quite a lot of people that the one they did provide wasn't that helpful for a DM to prep the campaign, use foreshadowing etc. See here.* By way of comparison, here's the sort of info you get as a DM when starting out on an adventure path by Paizo (beware Legacy of Fire spoilers).

*PS. WotC' spoiler tag doesn't work on my browser, as in: the text doesn't even appear anymore. Luckily I've saved it on my hard drive, so I'm going to copy paste the text here. SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS!!!!!

[sblock]
Scales of War Heroic Tier

Episode #3: The Shadow Rift of Umbraforge
On returning from the Vents, the characters search for clues behind the well-armed orcs that sought passage beneath the mountains around Overlook. Their investigation takes them beneath the city, and then to another plane!
Episode #4: The Lost Mines of Karak
A dwarven clan of Overlook—once renowned for their wealthy mines—has fallen on hard times. But the rediscovery of one of their mines could spell relief for the city’s war efforts, and redemption for a once worthy name.
Episode #5
The heroes are summoned back to Brindol by an unexpected source. Their new ally then guides them to a long-lost fortress now inhabited by all manner of foul creatures.
Episode #6
The characters return to Overlook to find the city marshalling for war. But something rotten lurks in the city’s heart, and further investigation reveals that the city faces a threat as great from within as the army marshalling at the gates of Bordrin’s Watch.

Scales of War Paragon Tier (Episodes #7–12)

The scope has changed. By the end of the heroic tier, the heroes finally learn that the war in Elsir Vale is on a much larger scale than they imagined. Not only their small slice of the world is in danger, and the forces of good need powerful champions. The characters venture across the planes as a small, elite strike team, pursuing missions few champions of their world would dare to undertake. There, they must make new alliances to further their war effort, while sundering those of their enemies. Finally, they uncover the magnitude of the true threat facing their home.

Scales of War Epic Tier (Episodes #13–18)

The stakes increase. As the heroes cross into the epic tier, they learn that their world is truly under siege from all sides. Pursuing numerous threats only they can deal with, they single-handedly have the potential to turn the tide of war in one direction or the other. As the balance teeters on a razor’s edge, disaster strikes the characters’ allies, and they must act swiftly before their world—and possibly more—is lost to an age of darkness unlike any other.[/sblock]

Last edited:

It wasn't so much that WotC didn't provide an outline at all. It was just felt by quite a lot of people that the one they did provide wasn't that helpful for a DM to prep the campaign, use foreshadowing etc. See here.* By way of comparison, here's the sort of info you get as a DM when starting out on an adventure path by Paizo (beware Legacy of Fire spoilers).

*PS. WotC' spoiler tag doesn't work on my browser, as in: the text doesn't even appear anymore. Luckily I've saved it on my hard drive, so I'm going to copy paste the text here. SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS!!!!!

[sblock]
Scales of War Heroic Tier

Episode #3: The Shadow Rift of Umbraforge
On returning from the Vents, the characters search for clues behind the well-armed orcs that sought passage beneath the mountains around Overlook. Their investigation takes them beneath the city, and then to another plane!
Episode #4: The Lost Mines of Karak
A dwarven clan of Overlook—once renowned for their wealthy mines—has fallen on hard times. But the rediscovery of one of their mines could spell relief for the city’s war efforts, and redemption for a once worthy name.
Episode #5
The heroes are summoned back to Brindol by an unexpected source. Their new ally then guides them to a long-lost fortress now inhabited by all manner of foul creatures.
Episode #6
The characters return to Overlook to find the city marshalling for war. But something rotten lurks in the city’s heart, and further investigation reveals that the city faces a threat as great from within as the army marshalling at the gates of Bordrin’s Watch.

Scales of War Paragon Tier (Episodes #7–12)

The scope has changed. By the end of the heroic tier, the heroes finally learn that the war in Elsir Vale is on a much larger scale than they imagined. Not only their small slice of the world is in danger, and the forces of good need powerful champions. The characters venture across the planes as a small, elite strike team, pursuing missions few champions of their world would dare to undertake. There, they must make new alliances to further their war effort, while sundering those of their enemies. Finally, they uncover the magnitude of the true threat facing their home.

Scales of War Epic Tier (Episodes #13–18)

The stakes increase. As the heroes cross into the epic tier, they learn that their world is truly under siege from all sides. Pursuing numerous threats only they can deal with, they single-handedly have the potential to turn the tide of war in one direction or the other. As the balance teeters on a razor’s edge, disaster strikes the characters’ allies, and they must act swiftly before their world—and possibly more—is lost to an age of darkness unlike any other.
[/sblock]
Try the [sblock] tags...

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
It's quite obvious to me reading those spoilers above is that the reasons that outline is incomplete is they had not yet commissioned the adventures for the later teirs and had no clue what would happen then...

Truename

First Post
It's quite obvious to me reading those spoilers above is that the reasons that outline is incomplete is they had not yet commissioned the adventures for the later teirs and had no clue what would happen then...

I think Ari Marmell reported that he saw a more complete outline, so I wouldn't say they had no clue what would happen. But I agree, the paragon and epic tier descriptions are completely generic and have little to do with the actual adventures.

Overall, the path was a big bundle of 'meh.'

There was only one module in the path, that caught my attention and actually looked like a good adventure, with plenty of intrigue and interesting plot points. The others in this path were all a mixed result.

Which one, and why did it stand out for you?
Haven of Bitter Glass the one in #164 stood out for me, because it had a good mix of political intrigue and some epic battles. What I felt was best with it was the amount of detail that went into the negotiation skill challenge, which was a few pages and was a good demonstration of what you can do with such a plot important challenge.

Remove ads