D&D 5E Scariest Monster Ever

What is the scariest monster/encounter you have ever experienced?

• Nasty Trap. "What? This lever?"

Votes: 0 0.0%

DM_

First Post
My childhood DM had this NPC he liked to use on everyone in every campaign for some years. Always as a random wilderness encounter, "You come across a smiling kobold who appears VERY friendly." He asks (in high pitched skeksis voice) "Will you be my friend?" repeatedly. The disturbing manner in which said DM delivered the NPC ensured not one party ever said yes. Most ran in terror within a few minutes others attacked, the kobold would always disappear. No one ever learned what a yes would have meant but frankly the prospect was too terrifying.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
What about a giant demon spider that wields a vorpal blade?

That's pretty bad! Of course, today's players wouldn't have to be afraid because characters are so much harder to kill. But back in the old days, the Giant Spider was basically the biggest and baddest thing. Most parties didn't get even into the medium levels, and even if you were pretty high level, the monster could kill you in a single hit! There is nothing quite like the fear, no, the unspeakable dread, of waiting to see what they roll when they attack you!

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
Some games that portray the spiders suitably include the original Eye of the Beholder, from SSI, and Legend of Grimrock (where the spiders' poison is weaker but still will kill you in a few minutes). There is no way to slow down these games, so you are in a frantic struggle to attack and back away, attack and back away, without getting killed or accidentally backing up into another one.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Zombies - the unstoppable wave, they just keep coming and those they bring down end up filling their ranks. The grapple and grab, they do not tire, they are slow but still run you down.

Flesh eating children - Oh, look normal but they are little wild animals that will rip the flesh from your bones!

Unwise

Adventurer
- Those demons for 4e that grab you then teleport you away. Suddenly having members separated from the party, on the other side of a portcullis, or up in the third story window is terrifying.

- Kirin, I think it is them, that makes their victim invisible and makes everybody else invisible to them. So there is no tank or healer to save you and you can't help them either. For extra scare, put them on a different battle mat, make the PCs think the person has teleported away to a demi-plane.

- Anything that swallows a PC then leaves. Even a giant frog is terrifying if it swallows a PC, then just sinks into the pond again. Why would it stick around?

The general theme is separation from the party, you are on your own and nobody can help you. At least it feels that way.

aramis erak

Legend
Since I seldom am a player, I had to stretch back to 1981... The Yochol ... it was actually scarier than Lolth. We knew we could kill the gods... but this thing? I should mention that we were monty haulers from hell, and routinely raided the abyss. I stopped notching for pitfiends after 15. But a new demon? what new threats?

Sadly, the scare was hype, not substance.

Remove ads