Sci-fi RPG Kickstarter: Orbital

pemerton

Legend
Another poster drew my attention to this Kickstarter, for a diceless, GM-less, seemingly PbtA-inspired game: Oribtal.

Here's the gist of the background blurb:

Imagine an all-consuming interstellar war, spread across a vast galaxy and involving trillions of willing and conscripted participants. Then imagine a lone space station, floating in the cosmos, that is somehow set apart from this conflict.[/indemt]

And here's the blurb that tells us what is actually involved in play:

ORBITAL gives us airlocks and control panels, pensive faces looking out into the cosmos, improvised fixes for critical systems, military-sponsored subterfuge, warm embraces in the cold vacuum, frantic struggles in zero-gravity and unknowable ancient technology, asking WHAT DO YOU DO NEXT?​

There is also a link to a playbook (= class description + PC sheet): The Heart.

I'm not familiar with the resolution system beyond what I've seen on the KS page, but from this sheet some features can be worked out: there are at-will moves that seem similar to PbtA 7-9 results (eg "Take action, leaving yourself vulnerable") or that give small thematically-related benefits ("Help someone feel better, if only for minute"). There are "weak" moves that earn a token, either similar to PbtA 6 or down results (eg "Try to use words when action was required") or that otherwise make you vulnerable ("Share a difficult truth about your past"). And there are "strong" moves, similar to PbtA 10+ reslults, that require a token to be spent (eg "Calm someone from violence with your words").

The distribution of framing/resolution responsibilities is described thus:

each player . . . tak[es] responsibility for all of the NPCs and narrative pressures within one aspect of the setting (for example, THE INTERSTELLAR WAR or THE SCUM & VILLAINY). It's more like you're all taking turns playing the antagonists & introducing complications, rather than playing a game entirely without a GM. . . . [Each player will] choose & personalise one of six SETTING ELEMENTS—aspects of the game world that can introduce challenges and complicate your character’s lives.​

The KS page also says that

You can play a satisfying one-shot in 3-4 hours, or play through a series of sessions to explore your station further and further complicate your character's relationships. It can be played with up to 6 players, and also includes rules for playing with a GM and 1-4 players.​

I backed it pretty much as soon as it was drawn to my attention. I've been doing a fair bit of sci-fi RPGIng recently, using Classic Traveller, and am up for a good station-based game. And the example playbook suggests that this one will involve tightly-focused characters with a lot of story-potentiality built into them. The diceless framework gives players a lot of control over the action, but if it works as seems to be intended it should produce a good sequence of up-and-down, threat-and-resolution.​

Another poster drew my attention to this Kickstarter, for a diceless, GM-less, seemingly PbtA-inspired game: Orbital.

I backed it pretty much as soon as it was drawn to my attention. I've been doing a fair bit of sci-fi RPGIng recently, using Classic Traveller, and am up for a good station-based game. And the example playbook suggests that this one will involve tightly-focused characters with a lot of story-potentiality built into them.

I think it's a really interesting and beautiful looking game. I've always loved Traveller without ever getting to play enough of it - the Traveller Starter Edition was one of my fondest RPG purchases, bought when I was about 12. In the last few years I've run that type of 70s inspired sci-fi using Diaspora (FATE) and it's a genre I really like.

The diceless framework gives players a lot of control over the action, but if it works as seems to be intended it should produce a good sequence of up-and-down, threat-and-resolution.

Yes, the fact that every participant is a player but with a share of responsibilities traditionally reserved for the GM (if I'm reading between the lines correctly as far as system) will definitely mean a collaborative approach to play.

Last edited:

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Later this month I have plans to facilitate a game of Avery Alder's View Askew which was the first game to use the No Dice. No Masters. system. Really looking forward to it.

pemerton

Legend
Later this month I have plans to facilitate a game of Avery Alder's View Askew which was the first game to use the No Dice. No Masters. system. Really looking forward to it.
Can you tell us anything about that game/system - eg themes, tropes, anything about the playbooks?

(I know I could probably hunt around for some of this, but it's more fun as part of a message board conversation!)

Remove ads