Sci-Fi RPG Mash Up?

Mezuka

Hero
What started as a standard Traveller campaign became a mash up between Traveller character backgrounds, and the Coriolis setting but using The Expanse AGE for the system. I never went so far as mixing and matching different RPGs together. It works very well. We have rich character backgrounds, a mysterious setting and a fun system with stunts.

Have you done this and which RPGs did you put in the blender? Did it work in the long run?

[for those who wonder why I'm back after saying I was leaving: I discovered I could block all D&D-related topics using forum preferences. I can still enjoy EN without the parts that are problematic for me.]

Last edited:

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
A long time ago my group did this with Traveller, Space Opera, using the base AD&D to run it, though the way we used AD&D, I think it was more like B/X.

The setting was there had been a multi-universe spanning empire with a dune type flavor, and Heinlein, Andre Norton-ish elements; one planet had re-discovered space travel, and was exploring the others, that were in a post-apocalypse state. Ultra-high tech was like magic. Magic existed because of planar entities, as "Gods".

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Welcome back.

For a time I was adding things like degrees of success and advantage/disadvantage to Traveller. Then, Mongoose launched 2E so it does most of that now by default. I think adding in little mechanical bits is fairly easy to do and something I encourage when its not only good design by works well in practice at the table. Some specific mechanics might not work as well. By that I mean if you have something designed to give the feel of Alien (tensity, stress, horror, etc) it might not translate well. Sometimes, specifics are too specific and I dont liek to carry them with me. YMMV.

I have not done much mashup of setting material. I use Traveller 95% of the time for my Sci-fi gaming. The setting and system are fairly agnostic and easy to add elements if you want/need to.

kronovan

Adventurer
What started as a standard Traveller campaign became a mush up between Traveller character backgrounds, and the Coriolis setting but using The Expanse AGE for the system. I never went so far as mixing and matching different RPGs together. It works very well. We have rich character backgrounds, a mysterious setting and a fun system with stunts...
While I haven't run any Modern AGE yet, I do own the Modern AGE CRB and The Expanse and have run Dragon Age and Fantasy Age campaigns. I'm also currently playing in a MgT2E campaign and homebrewing one. I can definitely see what your doing as a good fit for The Expanse. I preferred the way backgrounds were handled in Dragon AGE and didn't care for them shifting to being just a few social class options in later AGE editions. So tweaking The Expanse based upon Traveller, IMO would only be a good thing.

The only time I've done something similar is to use Mythras-M Space cultures with Savage Worlds for a homebrewed setting. The number of SW cultures (9) was much greater than in M Space's, but their number of added skills was also much less. It worked very well, with players able to build distinct and unique PCs.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My best EVER campaign as a GM was running a supers game set in the world of Space:1889 using HERO 4th as the system. I have never hit that pinnacle since. I tried a similar melding using M&M 2Ed with a different group, and it was a complete failure.

I designed (but did not run) a D&D campaign that used the class designs from AD&D through 3.5Ed, modeled in HERO 5Ed. About the same time, I also started designing a M:tG campaign setting in HERO, but abandoned it. The game group I was in didn’t care for HERO. (They’re also the group in which I tried running that aforementioned doomed M&M 2Ed campaign.)

aramis erak

Legend
What started as a standard Traveller campaign became a mush up between Traveller character backgrounds, and the Coriolis setting but using The Expanse AGE for the system. I never went so far as mixing and matching different RPGs together. It works very well. We have rich character backgrounds, a mysterious setting and a fun system with stunts.

Have you done this and which RPGs did you put in the blender? Did it work in the long run?

[for those who wonder why I'm back after saying I was leaving: I discovered I could block all D&D-related topics using forum preferences. I can still enjoy EN without the parts that are problematic for me.]
The few tries I've had were somewhat less than happy. I'm not fond of mix-n-match, but have tried rethemes with slight success... but my player base preferred the bespoke system over the borrowed host system in every case.

I can say that I worked out the tonnages for the SFTM ships, and the DN's only around 20,000 Tons displacement for Traveller.
Felt too incomplete for me.

I have jumped a TTNE campaign over to MT (Megatraveller) rules at player demand. And T4 to MT. Same reason.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’ve been thinking a more traditional Sci-Fi exploration/expansion (Traveller, Universe, Stargate, etc.) + Starship Trooper/Mecha (of any kind) chimaera could be interesting. The power armor/giant robots would be primary loading/away mission/dogfigthing vehicles.

Remove ads