Sean K. Reynolds talks RPG salaries, puts his on record.

darjr

I crit!
Are these typical?

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 9.08.09 PM.png

Are these typical?

They don't sound unreasonable. Adjusted for inflation to 2021, these numbers come to:
1995: $50k
1997: $51k
M2003: $60k
S2003: $74k.

Other things to consider would be that location matters a great deal in figuring out if this is "good" or "bad". Cost of living is drastically higher in Seattle, WA than rural Wisconsin. Also, health (and other) benefits typically (hopefully?) account for a larger percentage of your total take-home package today than they did in 1995.

Another data point: In 2014, I asked on these boards "How many TTRPG game devs make over $100k today" and was given the answer of "none".

There is no shortage of RPG products coming out these days, and more creators entering the field all the time. Sales are higher as well.

That is a really poor progression, however, especially for the Seattle area. I started about at $12.5K in 1987 at my first auditor job, but my multiple to that is vastly higher. Adjusting for my success (somewhat of an outlier) 20 years into a career I would hope that your salary is around 10x your entry level position.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't know how representative it is of the whole industry, but I suspect SKR is making more money than most. He's worked for TSR, WotC, Paizo, and MCG, the biggest TTRPG companies in the world. I don't really have any insight into salaries at various TTRPG companies though. I'm just guessing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Adjusting for my success (somewhat of an outlier) 20 years into a career I would hope that your salary is around 10x your entry level position.

Um... no.

Data from 2015 - Median income workers see a rise in their income of about 38% from ages 25 to 55, with most of that rise packed in the first decade. From age 35 on, income tends to flatten out for median range workers.

Workers in the top 5% will see a rise of about 250% over the same 30 year span. Those in the top 1% will see a rise of about 1450%.

Most folks don't so much as double their salaries, much less see a 10x increase.

Remove ads