• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sean Reynolds rant about terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'll make a prestige class called Arcane Spellcaster and another called Mage, and then NO ONE is allowed to use those words if they aren't talking about my specific prestige classes.

I'll also make a spell called Walk, so don't use that if you're not implying that those Walk'ing are under the influence of that spell.

Last edited:

Wolfspider

Explorer
I think that several of you are sinking pretty low with your personal attacks against Mr. Reynolds and your snide and oh-so-clever remarks. His sex life really has no bearing on the issue at hand. :rolleyes: I enjoy sarcasm as much as the next person, but never to the extent of putting down another person, especially one who isn't here right now to defend himself.

Sure, he made some typos, which is a fairly bad thing for a writer to do in a published document. That being said, I'll be watching all of your posts REALLY CAREFULLY from now on. Be careful not to slip up, now....

And heaven forbid that any of you should ever make a RANT....

Last edited:

Berandor

lunatic
I have ranted. In fact, I even posted some rants on my site.

But Mr. Reynolds rant attacked me first, because I use the term "sorceress" in my game.

If someone I'm ranting about reads my rant - he'll probably attack me, too.

That's what happens with rants, after all - they incite emotions.

B

Carnifex

First Post
Wolfspider said:
That being said, I'll be watching all of your posts REALLY CAREFULLY from now on. Be careful not to slip up, now....

Why? The people here aren't the ones ranting that its necessary to proofread stuff, that's Reynolds who's doing it - and then failing to proofread his own work. People here are getting irritated by the blatant hypocracy he's demonstrating in doing so.

Aaron L

Hero
I believe people are making the snide comments becuase there are typos in an rant about being precise in your writing.

My problem was the term-nazi attitude. I didn't even notice the typos. I don't hate Mr. Reynolds or anything, I just thought the article was really dumb.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Why? The people here aren't the ones ranting that its necessary to proofread stuff, that's Reynolds who's doing it - and then failing to proofread his own work.

Well, it is unfortunate that Mr. Reynolds actually used the word "proofread" in his rant and then made a grammar mistake in his first sentence (something I always seem to do when I hand out proofreading guidelines for my students), but he's really talking about people proofing their use of terminology in the rant, not their ability to use grammar.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Salutations,

Heh.

When I woke up this morning, I wondered what people would find to complain about.

Do people just have an inability to be content without claiming to be offended?

To be slightly on topic: *shrug* Sean Reynolds has every right to be irritated by anything he wants- it won't affect my gaming.

FD

Wolfspider

Explorer
Oh please, Wolfspider, have a sense of humor about this. We are allowed to rant the exact same way Sean is.

People who have been in other discussions with me will testify to my sense of humor (I still think the rod is a hamburger, dammit!), but I can't help but be left humorless when confronted with comments like "Damn that guy needs to get laid or something..."

Ad hominem attacks (like saying that a person lacks a sense of humor instead of logically refuting his claims) is not a valid method of argumentation. :D

KDLadage

Explorer
I think that several of you are sinking pretty low with your personal attacks against Mr. Reynolds and your snide and oh-so-clever remarks. His sex life really has no bearing on the issue at hand. :rolleyes: I enjoy sarcasm as much as the next person, but never to the extent of putting down another person, especially one who isn't here right now to defend himself.

Sure, he made some typos, which is a fairly bad thing for a writer to do in a published document. That being said, I'll be watching all of your posts REALLY CAREFULLY from now on. Be careful not to slip up, now....

And heaven forbid that any of you should ever make a RANT....

I never attacked the man, personally or otherwise.

I never made any comments about this sex life.

I didn't even put him down.

I just pointed out that, if you are going to give a rant about poor proofreading, telling people to proofread what they write let he be forced to burn someone in effigy... well, then I would say that it would do you a world of good to proofread your rant, lest someone call you on it.

When I post, I generally do not do a lot of proofreading, nor do I come down on those that have typo-ridden postings -- here or elsewhere. I have the worst typing skills (and bad habits) you can find. That sort of thing, for me, would be pointless. Secondly, I have a habbit of posting when I am in a hurry, and so my ideas sometimes get muddled together and I have been asked to explain myself on more than one occation. No problem. It's fair to do so.

But anytime you stick your head out, you invite criticism. He stuck his head out; he did it without following the very advice he is ranting about. Hense, my comment.

On the other hand, from a d20 publishers standpoint, he has many very valid points. He just chose, in my very humble and personal opinion, a poor way of expressing it. In fact, I figure there are those that will now do the things he is trying to prevent, just to spite him.

I await at this point, the Big Book o'd20 Enchantments, the Catalog of Orcish and Gnomish Weapons and Devices and the ever popular Female-Specific Core and Prestige Classes supplements.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads