Sean's Picks of the Week (0411-0415) - Vampires, Demon Lords, Middle Earth, Orcs, and Jousting!

So much to do, so little time, but I do love this business! This week, we get a little dark and demonic; we go to tourney; we travel the whole of Middle Earth; and we make some orcs! There's a trip back in time for a lot of gamers, but we also see a huge step forward in terms of technology and its application to the gaming table. Here are the week's Picks from a week when we saw a huge shakeup at WotC; the resurrection of West End Games; and the return of the heroes for Villains & Vigilantes.

So much to do, so little time, but I do love this business! This week, we get a little dark and demonic; we go to tourney; we travel the whole of Middle Earth; and we make some orcs! There's a trip back in time for a lot of gamers, but we also see a huge step forward in terms of technology and its application to the gaming table. Here are the week's Picks from a week when we saw a huge shakeup at WotC; the resurrection of West End Games; and the return of the heroes for Villains & Vigilantes.

Terrible Beauty

Robert J. Schwalb‘s Shadows of the Demon Lord continues to own a chunk of serious real estate in the fantasy gaming landscape, and here’s another supplement to assure that goes on. With all else going on, the faerie are returning. Is this a good or bad thing for the world?

Heed the Call of the Faerie Queen!

All across Urth stand doorways to hidden places. These are the realms of the faerie, entire worlds of magic and wonder, fear and horror. No friends to mortals, the faeries abandoned Urth long ago, leaving their homelands to humankind to do with as it wished. Now, with the Demon Lord’s shadow casting a pall across the land, the faeries have begun to return from their self-imposed exile, to join the fight against the darkness and purge the world of the evil that grips it. Terrible Beauty presents tools for players and Game Masters to introduce faerie stories, mechanics, and themes into Shadow of the Demon Lord campaigns. Inside, you’ll find:

• The elf, hobgoblin, and pixie ancestries.
  • An assortment of new paths such as the Avowed expert path and the eternal guardian and troll hunter master paths.
  • The Fey tradition, and new spells for existing traditions.
  • Overviews of several sample faerie kingdoms.
  • New relics such as the Vorpal Sword and a new enchanted object table.
  • New creatures ranging from the fair nymph to the foul jabberwock.
  • A complete adventure for expert characters.

Terrible Beauty opens new doors to adventure and horror in a dying world, and the options presented here will leave your game forever changed!

Journeys and Maps

Whether you play this particular version of Middle Earth RPG, or you’re just a fan of Tolkien’s definitive setting, or you’re just a fan of really gorgeous and exceptional maps, this is a must-have.

Journeys and Maps in PDF is a 32-page supplement, with rules for water travel by sea and river, an index to all locations covered in The One Ring Roleplaying Game supplements to date, a system for detailing ruins found along the road, a useful collection of terrain-specific hazards, and a section detailing natural wonders, lodgings, and fellow travellers your Company might find along the way.

Also included is a set of eight PDF One Ring travel maps covering the greater part of Middle-earth in four parts: Eriador, Wilderland, Rohan and Gondor/Mordor, with Loremaster and Player maps for each.

These PDF maps are intended for reference on your computer or e-reading device of choice. They are not intended for home printing – these maps are available in print as part of the Journeys and Map print edition.

With Journeys and Maps, the innovative and trend-setting travel phase of The One Ring just got even more interesting!

V20 The Black Hand

More V20 World of Darkness rolls out, delving into the secrets, mysteries, and inner workings of one of the most infamous factions in all of vampire-dom.

We Deal in the Truth.

Every interaction, every fight, every clandestine meeting, it’s all about the truth. The truth hurts. The truth kills. But in the end, the truth protects. The truth shapes the world. Shape the world with us.

The Tal’Mahe’Ra, the Black Hand, plays the long game. They’re fighting a war of millennia, and the stakes could never be higher than they are tonight. They know truths about the Ancients, terrifying truths, dangerous truths, and they know the fight will be long and tireless.

The Black Hand — A Guide to the Tal’Mahe’Ra includes:

• An updated look at the Tal’Mahe’Ra, which brings the ancient conspiracy into the twenty-first century.
  • Tricks of the Black Hand’s trade, including new Disciplines, Backgrounds, Merits, and eldritch sorceries.
  • Insight into some of the Hand’s sects, including those who hunt the infernal, and the worshipers of Lilith.

NOTE: This is the Advance PDF version. A final PDF version and PoD versions will be available at a later date. If you have purchased this Advance PDF, you will be automatically updated to the final PDF and receive a link to enable you to purchase the PoD at a discount designed so that your total price matches our usual PDF and Print combo offer. You must have your DTRPG account set to accept messages from them before the link messages are sent out, though, so please adjust your settings if you want that discount.

Dragonlock Orcs Set I

The home 3D printing revolution is upon us, with folks setting up to print-and-play with their own minis. Just as he’s been with both 2D and 3D cardstock scenery for gaming, Tom Tullis and his Fat Dragon Games are ahead of the curve with ready-to-go files for you to purchase, download, and start making your own armies! Who doesn’t need “all you can print” orcs!?

3D PRINTER MINIATURES ARE HERE! This set features .stl files for five different 28mm scale orc miniatures, all designed to print as-is without additional printing supports and minimal cleanup (each miniature in the photo had less than 1 minute of trimwork done, mainly stringing.) The best part about 3D .stl minis is once you buy the set, you can print massive armies and never run out (average plastic cost per mini is about 5 cents each!)

The Grand Melee

I am thrilled to announce that Evil Beagle Games is finally getting some new gaming material up on the digital shelves. Specifically, we’ve teamed up with the inestimable Michael Surbrook – talented and highly prolific – to bring out a ton of material that he’s researched and crafted to enhance all kinds of games. He’s been working closely with Evil Beagle’s Ross Watson, and I’m pretty excited about what’s coming down the pike. Michael has a gift for seeing something that games might need, researching the hell out of it, and turning it into something you can play with.

Flashing swords, shining armor, and shattering lances…

…are all part of the greatest sporting event of the Middle Ages: the Tournament.

With The Grand Melee, you have all the information you need to include a medieval tournament in your Pathfinder campaign. This 22-page supplement details how to set a tournament up; how one should be run; and what rewards to give the victors. Also included are optional rules for conducting jousts. So download a copy today and prepare your self for the pomp and pageantry of a medieval tournament!

This is the first in a series of products Evil Beagle Games is proud to bring you, from the creative and prolific mind and talents of Michael Surbrook. Look for many more useful, well-researched, and highly creative products from him in the future.

~~~~~

And there's your week of Picks, friends.

As always, a crazy-busy weekend here at the Evil Beagle's kennel in Denver. Tonight, I am running another session of my Savage Star Wars campaign, wherein we're re-telling the prequels entirely.

Tomorrow, I am off to Loveland as a State Delegate for the Colorado Democratic Party Convention and Assembly. This is a game for which the rules remain unclear, a LARP in desperate need of re-design. As well, there's every chance I will get snowed in up that way, thanks to April apparently wanting another dance with Winter ere Spring gets its turn.

Sunday, if we are able, it's back to Ross Watson's D&D 5e Birthright campaign.

Hope you have some fun stuff planned, and as always -

The Adventure Continues!

~SPF

PS - In case you missed it, yeah, that Savage Rifts Kickstarter is coming at last.

pxacrake

Explorer
Sean,
Very interested in your mention of "Ross Watson's D&D 5e Birthright campaign".
Is there anywhere I can get more details on this.
I'm wanting to create a Birthright 5e game and I'm interested in how this has been done already.
cheers, Drew

Dahak

Explorer
Sean, saw you in the Denver Post article on the convention! Good use of your "Interested Parties" skills in a different arena! ;)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads