• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sean's Picks of the Week (0925-0929) - Satyros Phil Brucato Week!

The release of the long-awaited Powerchords inspired me to put the spotlight on my dear friend and valued colleague, Satyros AKA Phil Brucato. Most well-known for his craftsmanship on Storyteller-driven games, you can find his urban fantasy sensibilities flowing magically out into other spaces as well. I am greatly looking forward to what he does next...

The release of the long-awaited Powerchords inspired me to put the spotlight on my dear friend and valued colleague, Satyros AKA Phil Brucato. Most well-known for his craftsmanship on Storyteller-driven games, you can find his urban fantasy sensibilities flowing magically out into other spaces as well. I am greatly looking forward to what he does next...

POWERCHORDS: MUSIC, MAGIC, & URBAN FANTASY

The release of this long-awaited magnum opus by my amazing and soulful friend makes it Satyros Phil Brucato Week here at the SPOD! No one grocks urban fantasy with more understanding and passion than Satyros, and this book is his paean to the night world of music and madness that he’s inhabited for so long. Keep an eye out for other masterpieces by this Bard of Dice and Dreams

ROCK FOREVER!

There’s no such thing as “easy” in the music world. Every gig’s a battle, and the folks who dream big and live large are the only ones left standing when the morning comes.

But for the these kings and queens of the nighttime world, music is Divinity – a cruel yet irresistable god whose touch drives artists gleefully mad. To feel that blessing, you’ll push yourself and everyone around you to the edge… then over it… into bliss, ruin, and each sensation in between.

From the creator behind Mage 20, Deliria: Faerie Tales for a New Millennium, Mage: The Ascension, The Sorcerers Crusade and more, Powerchords takes you and your friends into the wild realm of mystical musicianship. An “open system” rulebook for story-telling games, this tome of rock ‘n’ roll roleplay riffs on the adventures of real-life music culture, then cranks up the volume with life-thieves, demons, earth angels and wild beasts. Head, heart, guts and groin, this book rocks like nothing else around.

Venues! Concerts! Groupies! Instruments! Weird bands, fae folk, bargains at the crossroads, and so much more…

PARENTAL
ADVISORY
EXPLICIT CONTENT

CALADON FALLS

We continue the celebration of my friend, Satyros Phil Brucato, with this gem from Savage Mojo for Savage Worlds fans – Caladon Falls. One of the many fascinating realms that comprise the Suzerain Continuum, this epic fantasy setting includes the writing and design talents of Satyros alongside folks like Vickey A. Beaver, Steve Dean, Curtis and Sarah Lyon, John Wick, and Dan McGirt. The entire premise is a world at war, and you must brave through being on the losing side and figure out a way to survive… and to win.

They came out of nowhere and started ripping the world apart, one city at a time. Using power on a scale never before seen, Warlocks, godlike leaders of the Wild army, are rampaging on Austeria with one goal: raise armies and annihilate the entire continent. Set in the fantasy realm of Relic, this book looks at warfare through the eyes of everyday people turned soldiers – soldiers whose side is losing the war.

Take the challenge. Roleplay in a fantasy world where hairless dwarves walk through stone, magic is commonplace, and the spirit world doesn’t always stay in check. Focus on a daily life and death struggle where the enemy is cruel, powerful, and around every corner. Take the challenge, and let your adventurers become…

…mankind’s only hope.

Inside the covers you’ll find:
* Heaps of world detail you’ll need to run games in Suzerain’s Relic realm during the War of the Wild.
* Over 50 new Edges, Hindrances, and Powers, including three new playable races.
* Stats for dozens of heroes and villains alike, plus an assortment of soldiers and monsters from the war.
* A finely-tuned setting in which to take your characters from Novices to Heroes.
* 30 scenarios including a full plot-point campaign covering the arrival of the Warlocks and the fight for survival in the Caladon Kingdom.

This is a high art product and a large download.

A copy of Savage Suzerain is recommended to get the most enjoyment from this book.

KINDRED OF THE EAST

We continue with Satyros Phil Brucato Week at the SPOD with a callback to one of the most popular and influential books ever produced for the original World of Darkness setting. Along with such stellar folks as Nicky Rea, Jackie Cassada, Justin Achilli, Richard E. Dansky, Ian Lemke, and Ethan Skemp, Phil helped create a world-within-a-world as the East entered the global game played by the Kindred. Combining exceptional history lessons with fascinating new mythology, this book took Vampire games in whole new directions.

May You Gain the Notice of Those in High Places
For centuries the exotic realm of Asia has defied the Kindred’s incursions. Those few Children of Caine dwelling in Asia whisper of the monstrous Cathayans–the shadowy vampires native to the East. For too long the Cathayans have lain like sleeping dragons, allowing the Kindred a facade of omnipotence. Now, the new Age is at hand; Yin-daggers tremble in the talons of the Resplendent Cranes, and the Devil-Tigers howl for souls in the dark.

May You Live in Interesting Times
Kindred of the East is a giant hardcover sourcebook describing the unique and deadly vampires of the East. This mammoth volume includes new character creation rules, new powers, descriptions of the Eastern spirit worlds (plus rules for traveling there), and two chapters full of setting and cultural information.

Note: Due to the heavy use of textures and images behind the text, text recognition was not able to be applied to most pages.

GOBLIN MARKETS: THE GLITTER TRADE

One of the first things Satyros Phil Brucato put out with his new Quiet Thunder Productions company was this system-agnostic* gem. It’s strange, eldritch mercantilism saturated with magical story and overflowing with adventure. It’s mysterious arcanery as only Satyros can do it.

(*) – Yes, it was originally crafted for Deliria, but it’s wide-open for use in any fantasy or urban fantasy setting.

Come Buy! Come Buy!

The midnight market is ins town, and everyone seems to have something to sell. Lost toys? Magic potions? Albums that shouldn’t exist, yet do? Look around, dear friend. I’m sure we’ll find what you’re looking for somewhere…

In a world where commerce is magical, what’s the cost of desire? Explore Qwest-Mart, Wicked Jerry’s, Shae Bal Marah, and other strange places. Maybe you’ll find out – if you can meet the price!

A setting, character, story and rule supplement for fantasy gaming sagas, Goblin Markets: The Glitter Trade features mysterious markets, uncanny merchants, magical treasures, and far, far more.

Don’t be shy. Come inside…

MAGE: THE ASCENSION (20TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION)

I am closing out my weeklong tribute to my colleague and friend, Satyros Phil Brucato, with one of his most proud accomplishments. This revival of one of the most intriguing and perplexing games ever crafted for the Storyteller system gave Satyros a chance to really put his mark on things, and once again his mastercraft abilities with all things modern/urban fantasy shines through. I know my Belovedest, Carinn Seabolt, cannot say enough wonderful things about this game – probably her favorite gaming experience of all time, actually.

I tell you this: We are Divinity.

Reality is ours to bend. To subvert. To command.
We have that power – all of us.

Not everyone knows what to do with it, or uses it well.
Most of us never realize just what it is we are or how much we can do.

Those of us who do… well, some of us are monsters.
Manipulators. Parasites. Tyrants. Fanatics.

And the rest of us never see that monster in our own mirror, only in the reflections of those folks who are not “us.”

Here’s the truth, though: We are ALL “us.” We are ALL gifted,

We can ALL change the world. Most of us remain asleep.

A blessed few Awaken. Fewer still use that power wisely.
And none without consequences.

And so, reality is up for grabs. Where do you stand?

And will you Fall… or Ascend?

What’s in it?

• Updated profiles of the Council of Nine Traditions, the Technocratic Union, and the Disparate Crafts… with many unexpected developments.

• An epic history of magick and its factions.

• A compilation and clarification of essential and optional rules, including martial arts, vehicles, hazards, cybernetics, the Otherworlds, and far more besides.

• Overviews of paradigms, practices and tools – the focus of your Art.

• Detailed explorations of the epic concepts involved in Mage.

• Chilling looks at the Nephandi and Marauders.

• The Nine Spheres, plus their Technocratic variants.

• Old favorites and new faces from among the Awakened Ones.

• Reality Zones, Paradox, Quiet, the “coincidental vs. vulgar magick” debate, and far, far more…

• New full color original art by Michael William Kaluta, Echo Chernik, Steve Prescott, Christopher Shy, Larry MacDougall, and other classic Mage artists, as well as classic B&W pieces carefully chosen from the earlier editions.

-----

Once again, as you read this, I am at a convention. I've really got to get better about saying no, but they are such invigorating and magical gatherings of the Grand Tribe, that it's hard. This time around, I am at Tacticon/Rocky Mountain Con right here in Denver. I am running a huge, epic Freedom Squadron program at this show, including a brand-new "Big Epic Game" design I am testing out for the first time.

As always, I hope you have grand plans!

The Adventure Continues!

Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks and other article choices, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support.

Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, much more
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads