"Second Son of a Second Son" - Bleys' Journal

Rastfar

First Post
13 Keent, 637 M.Y.

We bid farewell and luck to the Broken Circle. Ethan assures me that someone connected to their interests will contact us in the future after we return to Thricia proper. From here we will return to the Ray-Ree, it would be rude of us not to inform our reluctant hosts of our exodus. They have been most helpful and I will pray them good fortune in their continued struggle in these meager lands.

Rastfar

First Post
18 Keent, 637 M.Y.

The Ray-Ree have generously offered to embrace Crusta and secure her tutelage with Rudwilla should she choose it. As anticipated we will not be returning with the half-orc in tow. On the morrow we shall set out to the Mounds that Laarus might visit with Brother Cineas of Anubis one last time. We will give him details of our encounter with the mummy cultists. Perhaps he will share some sect knowledge, elaborating upon the final fate of Dalvan Meir.

Rastfar

First Post
...and Markos....

Markos.jpg

Markos.4.jpg

Markos.2.jpg

Rastfar

First Post
27 Keent, 637 M.Y.

I do not believe in coincidence and as a matter of caution the rarity of the encounter determines my vigilance. As we sojourn home some dangers are to be expected. But I was wholly unprepared for our most recent trial. After slaying the land shark, Laarus felt a’pull’ from deeper in the recesses of the rocks where we had taken refuge. With great dread and only professional curiosity did I wish to accompany him to the source of his ‘calling’. I was sure to leave the Amulet of Fallon with Victoria as she would not accompany us within.

Ancient Runes marked the passage to a simple cavern, carved in seemless detail. Earth. Mind. Fire. Inside the portal boasted of being the Mind of Oberah. Surprisingly, a mute hermit stood silent sentinel in the chamber of steam and sulphur. If this was his residence it showed no sign of being inhabited. I query where he had come from and where he makes his home, here so far from anything. Man cannot live upon thought alone.

What limited knowledge I do have of the Time of the Six Kingdoms, I do not recall this area – the Land-Sea of Sharnth – being of any particular importance to the Ancients.

Inside Laarus was overcome by an oracle, a planar possession of sorts, exorcizing some control through an emanate heat source. “Sons of Thricia, ever cautious are you. When the wave crashes on Thrician soil it shall be those who act with alacrity that will find victory.” It took the time to berate us our hesitation and cautious nature, or lack of blind faith in random encounter.

“My people ignored the fertile savagery of the bloody earth and it led to their end. The tide rises again. My voice comes to you from afar. Across space and time, through space and time and the planes. The connection grows tenuous. You may ask me three questions. Ask them now.” Unfortunately for us, the power of Oberah was only such that it was able to traverse time and space at precisely the proper moment at which we arrived with Laarus and the hold grew immediately tenuous.

Markos asked of it whom our primary enemy was in regards to the impending tide of savagery, or so the subject would seem. Its reply came, “Too many to name, but you may begin with the Cults of the Beasts.”

Timotheus followed with the obvious, perhaps more important question, of where we should begin our search. The reply lay at “The tower of Stanislaw Torn.” A name I know not.

Laarus seems none the worse for wear, nor his piety shaken. If he is being manipulated, which today’s encounter proves my suspicions correct, I am still uncertain as to the benevolence of his experiences. I will continue to observe him, mindful that there are indeed outside influences at work upon him and that he is not solely touched by Ra.

‘I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.’

Rastfar

First Post
7 Ese, 637 M.Y.

I had only one year at the Academy before Jacoba the Brown graduated. As a result we never met. Her appearance belies her worth. She plays a perfect role for Ethan’s purpose, nestled in with the halflings she so closely resembles. And her connection to the noble courts proves him doubly savvy. It seems so disparate, to attempt to plan for a future, a life, of happiness, children, a country cottage with low-roiling smoke furling from a thatched roof, while yet the path you are on is one that keeps you in harm’s way, separated from your love, jeopardizing your own life if not hers as well. Mayhap someday I too shall understand, and be so unfortunate.

Rastfar

First Post
12 Ese, 637 M.Y.

They are calling it ‘The Day of the Pillars’. Under the cloud of this vagrancy, it seems our homecoming shall not be heralded as triumphant as Telemkhos should like. Despite Laarus’ proclivity for foresight, I cannot seem to connect how Oroleniel would prove to be connected with such an organization. There is still a piece to this puzzle that I am missing and no amount of time is worth wasting upon speculation until I am able to divine more.

'Wisdom begins in wonder.'

Rastfar

First Post
13 Ese, 637 M.Y.

I am to be provisional Watch-Mage of Sluetelot until a suitable, more permanent, replacement can be found. Not a post that I relish, but one that I wholly embrace nonetheless as it is my duty to fulfill to the Academy and my former master. Darbold does little to hide his displeasure, perhaps he feels I offended him at our intial meeting, though I suspect it more to do with the absence of his former friend and long time Watch-Mage of Sluetelot, Barakis the Brown. I am certainly nothing of a shade compared to him.

The Red Lantern Gang, Harliss Javel, Misery Tlalok’s lot. They seem to have it in for Telemakhos and with some enmity. Someone is going to great lengths to see my brother-in-law interred. Will this offense also relate to the rest of the members of the Charter of Schiereiland? Or is Telemakhos somehow embodiment enough of our perceived culpability of the events in Kraken’s Cove? Or is there some other reason that they stalk him, some other err that has occurred that I am as of yet unaware of.

‘Seize the day, put no trust in tomorrow.’

Rastfar

First Post
17 Ese, 637 M.Y.

Having met Eubren Winter of Ra, I am informed that Lord Falkoner Wetherwax has received word of wha we know regarding potential threat to his fleet. Some part of me still wishes to meet with him personally that I might measure the man myself, so as to ascertain whether it would behoove me to divulge all I know. No matter how trivial or seemingly petty, an oath is one that is not taken lightly. And while I would break no word to the House Devenpeck that I myself have promised, to dishonor my father in this way may be jus as grievous if not more so.

I am to understand also that Lord Falkoner Wethwerwax is also a proponent of uniting the Winter family into a Household recognized by the Margrave. Such a man is a powerful supporter indeed and likely he vies to add a large feather to his cap in the manner of a bannerman House. Of course, again this is sure to infuriate House Devenpeck, if not House Vandermok, as it would wrest even my father’s far removed rubbing salt in the wound as they are sure to be reminded of what they see as traitorous actions by their fraternal bannerman House Tenbrook, who were once beholden to House Vandermok so long ago.

I too find that I believe the long-whispered rumours in the Royal Courts of a united House Winter are compelling. But I feel as if I am in a tentative position, one that could certainly affect such an outcome and I will be certain to proceed with caution in this, as I believe that my kindred blood may usurp loyalty in duty.

‘A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.’

Rastfar

First Post
18 Ese, 637 M.Y.

I have enjoyed my time with Cwell the Carmine. He is apt and a fine tutor. And from him I have learned more of these Pillars and more directly, possibly Oroleniel’s involvement with them. Cwell the Hawk tells me that the Pillars are not a new organization, in fact they are an age old premise if not in name. They are everyman, farmers, dockworkers, town guard, and scriveners. They are the common masses whom believe that too much power lies in the hands of too few. That the Margrave and the ruling noble Houses should not have sole authority over policy and law. They believe that this is the power that corrupts and that each individual should be given command over his own life. To this end some would also conclude even the Academy of Wizardry, its alumni, Watch-Mages, represent this same power corrupt. Is it possible that Orolenial, having grown in Tempestas, has he embraced these same views. Are they similar to those of the elves? I know not. Only in meeting with him will it be proven.

‘Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.’

Remove ads