Secrets of the Middle-East. Chaosium CoC

Wed, 4 Dec 1929. Less then a month before Christmas.

It is a regular night in London, the United Kingdom. It’s been almost 3 hours of soft, trickle rain. As always the sky above the metropolis is covered with a wide blanket of nimbostratus clouds, the city lamps begin to shine and illuminate the grim gray twilight. It is half past 18, and you gather in Professor James Edward Quibell’s room in the University college of London. He is a British known Egyptologist, excavating relics of pharaohs in the Middle East more then two decades. Thought he is less famous then the known archeologists and Egyptologist Howard Carter and Professor Sir William Matthew Flinders Petrie.
Some of you sit around an old style English oak table from the 17 century and chit chat, other sit on the cozy sofa Prof. Quibell brought from Persia. Others stand with a cup of warm tea and look at the interesting antiques that lie behind the glass-fronted display cabinets, The Professor’s collection is something to be proud of. An impressive chandelier hangs from the ceiling and illuminates the room, the Professor bought it in auction at Wales 5 years ago. A bowl of fresh apples lies on the table, beside it stands a decorative Egyptian vase that holds lilies. The most impressive artifact over here is the huge statue head of the pharaoh Piye, he was known also as the King of Nubia (752 – 721 BC). Shelves cover the room’s walls and are filled with books on Archeology, Anthropology, Philosophy, National history, Middle East history, books that deals with botany in the old world and in the new world, student’s written works, and the professor's own works.
Some of the faces are known to you. Prof. Quibell is sitting on a leather big chair behind his desk and inspects a letter. Howard Carter, the famous archeologist sits next to him, a walking stick lies on the floor. The poor man broke his ankle two weeks ago when he slipped on a wet floor.
The former journalist and the now writer Arthur Edward Pearse Brome Weigall stands and inspect a nice Hittite’s mask, next to him stands the known Times Photographer Harry Burton and his student apprentice young Harrison Harvestrock.
Standing near the window and looking out to the rainy eve is Professor Henri 'Hans' Frankfort, a Dutch Egyptologist, archaeologist and orientalist, he lives in London for quite some years. across the room you see Elizabeth thomson, the young archeologist woman is attractive and genius, she came from America to study in the University, some say she is the next thing in the Egyptology field.
The English book dealer Jack Paterland is in the room, and the known and past dig-foreman from Egypt Fouad Mustafa Nassir that lives now in London. Sitting on the sofa with a pencil in his teeth is Thomas Hopkins, a known painter. Among Hopkins’s works are the pyramids and the pharaohs tombs, his work can be seen in the Oriental department in London's Museum of art.
The last member is Professor Frederick Jones Bliss, a 77 years old American archaeologist, specializing in the region of Palestine, he arrived to London four days ago to participate in a conference and was invited by Professor Quibell to this meeting.

“I greet you all to my office noble gentlemen and lady, most of you know each other from previous missions, lectures and conferences, but for those who don’t know each other I’ll re-introduce you."
He introduces you one by one and continues.
I received an interesting letter a few days ago, I permitted my self to consult the matter with my best friend Howard and we came to conclusion that we might give it a shot. With out being more mysterious I will read the letter to you. It was sent by the honorable Professor, our own “father”, Sir William Matthew Flinders Petrie. He sits in Jerusalem, as a personal guest of the former High Commissioner of Palestine Herbert Louis Samuel.

[sblock=Letter]
Dear Professor Quibell,

How are you, my old Briton friend?
I hope Clara is easing on your bones.
I must request your help as my bones are too old, I’m not as I was as I’m quite ill , who knows when god will decide to take me, but as long as breath flows in my nostrils, I will excavate every stone and every site in the land.

It has come to my attention that local Arab farmers in the Galilee have found something very unique. Since the artifact is quite magnificent, I do not want to spoil the excitement by describing it without you seeing it.

It was found not far from Tell al-Mutesellim, known as Tel Megiddo by the local Jews or Armageddon as our Christians fellows love to call it. The place was known in the near past as an Ottoman army camp, until your army crushed them down in the famous battle of Megiddo. The place should be unsettled, thought the land belongs to Dr. George Mendelovich, a British veteran and a good friend. The man influence and reputation is widely known from Haifa to Jerusalem.

Can you assemble a group of researches, journalists and painter and join me in the holy land?
I promise you my old friend, this place could be as significant as Howard’s crypts!

Waiting for your reply
Yours,

Sir W.M.F Petrie

[/sblock]

“I know that I retired but I think my bones are good for one last trip
The Professor remarks and lowers his glasses to the audience laugh.
“Sadly my bones will not survive such trip nor Emma will let me go this time, I had my fame and glory, it is time for the young to receive some”
Howard Carter says and points to gypsum on his leg with a smile.
“Maybe this time we’ll find the biggest answer”
He adds
“What is the question that you so seek?”
Ask Harry Burton
“Already forgot, my good friend? You know what ... I’ll give the others to find the answer. Friends, can someone imagine how in the hell the pyramids were built?”
“Let me add a hint for the students”
Says old Professor Bliss
“Gentlemen, don’t you find it strange ... approximately 8000 years ago humans still lived in caves, hunting game and Mammoths with stone tools, then one day, The great Egyptians sprang to existence and built enormous pyramids ... how come?”
“OK, OK enough with the “Hebrews, aliens and gods built it” theories”
Professor Quibell remarks and adds.
“Every answer lies deep in the ground ... and answer we shall find through digging!”
“Just don’t dig too deep...”
Howard comments and laugh.

“No matter what, sadly, you’ll have to do the job without me. I have some obligations in South Africa next month” Say Harry Burton “But I will send Mr. Harvestroc instead, he has proven himself greatly, he is not by mistake in the Times. Hopefully, I will join later”

“You can count me in professor Quibell, It’s been along time since I was in the Levant”
Replies the Dutch and turns around from the window.
One by one the participants agree to join the mission, some are clearly very excited, and others are happy but immediately concerned with preparations for the long voyage.

Then mark the day. We shall gather again in the first Monday of the New Year, same time, and same place to discuss final arrangements. I suggest you begin arranging your stuff and for those who are not familiar with the Levant, you better know something.
May I suggest for the student some references?
Prof. Bliss asks Prof. Quibell
Yes off course my dear colleague
Quibell replies
There is a compendium that consist reports about the British army battles in Palestine, Egypt, Tranjordan, Syria and Lebanon. “United Kingdom’s wars in the 19th and 20th century”, I think something like that.

With that the people begin to depart one by one.
What do you do?

*I’m sorry, but I expect the internet availability in Brazil to be low. I’ll resume full posting after the 16.10.

Last edited:

Drowned Hero

First Post
Jack Paterland Book Dealer

Jack stay in the chair he was sitting at for a moment as people starts walking out of the room not minding him. he stands up and walks over to the books shelves taking a look at what treasures was there, absent minded and not talking to anyone in particular he says 'travel and adventure suits me perfectly' 'i think i got some copies of that United Kingdom’s wars in the 19th and 20th century at my bookstore' 'and its should be at least one or two copies of that book here at the University' picks out a brown leather pouch from his inner pocket of his jacket and a pipe from his pocket lights it and sits back to the chair 'ive have to make a list of items to take with me''and some notebooks and pencils, yes yes...' talking absent minded again.

Insight

Adventurer
Nassir laughs at the notion of aliens helping build the Pyramids. "Surely, you joke, sir," Nassir says while chortling. "Men from space? No, no. I could tell you exactly how it was done, although I suspect you would be most disappointed."

Nassir takes the letter in hand and gives it a quick read. "Hmm... this is most interesting," he says. "Such an ancient artifact... found near Megiddo no less. I see that the rest of you see the... significance to Christians and Jews... in this place. I for one hold no such religious interest in Megiddo, but I would be most curious to see the artifact nonetheless."

"Yes, I will go along," Nassir says. "When do we leave?"

Yog_Sothoth

First Post
Harry starts pacing the room nervously, remembering the hellish fighting he had witnessed during his stay in the mid east. "It is a very dangerous place. I have to be honest with you, I have my doubts and worries about this journey. Of course I will join but it is mostly due to the respect I have for the professor and Mr. Carter and Weigall. I strongly advise, though, to keep our eyes and ears open and be at guard at all times. Who will be our local guide once we arrive there? Can he be trusted?". Sweat trickles down Harry's neck and he is clearly aggravated.

Patience my friend ... and I DO accept you leaving your work as my driver, but first let me find another one before you flee back home to do some digging
Howard Carter smiles to Fouad.
As for your question ... I and Prof. Quibell will do the appropriate arrangements for the voyage, Prof. Quibell asked us to be here on the first Monday of the New Year. I guess we’ll have an answer till then.
Howard takes his walking stick
Now, if you can please help me and take me home my dear Fouad, I’ll be most thankful.
[sblock=Fouad history]
History: 2 (wow...). Since you served in the Ottoman army, you are quite familiar with the “Battle of Megiddo” story. Here is what you remember:
The Battle of Megiddo took place in 1918, the outcome was a victory for the British General Edmund Allenby. The British Empire forces engulfed the Ottoman forces that were stationed on the hill and crushed them, the ottomans scattered to the four winds.
* Please check your skill. Put a little * beside it.
[/sblock]

Jack is quite familiar with that book. He has one copy of this book at his library.
[Sblock=Jack Library use]
Library use: 64 (You know that you have the book somewhere in your store, but your store is filled with lots of lots of books. It should take you several hours to find that certain book when you’ll get back to your store. [/sblock]

Turning to Harrison, Prof. Quibell replies.
I’m very happy to see you are anxious my young friend. We do not know who is going to be our guide. Again, I and Mr. Carter got a full month to prepare and decide about all the matters. We shall meet again on the first Monday of the new year and then I’ll have more answers.

Drowned Hero

First Post
Prof. Quibell replies.
I’m very happy to see you are anxious my young friend. We do not know who is going to be our guide. Again, I and Mr. Carter got a full month to prepare and decide about all the matters. We shall meet again on the first Monday of the new year and then I’ll have more answers.

Thing one back to the store is find that book Jack makes a mental note for himself.

Jack turn to the others being more in focus 'Danger or not, this will be huge' 'allays wanted to do something big in the middle east' 'and use some spare time to dig some good books' 'the black market most be infamously good' he turn to the professor 'tell me Mr.Quilbell' 'you think you can arrange any meetings with people that can turn up with anything interesting? of the record if needed if you know what i mean' Jack grabs his coat and portfolio with some sheets from incomplete books acquired from bookstores and libraries over town.'So first Monday after new year he?' 'if no inconvenience i will take my leave and get to it'... 'unless anyone needs me today hanging around' he walks towards the door.

*Fast Talk 55%, dont know if you can apply this one, up to you Von.
*Library Use 50%

Thing one back to the store is find that book Jack makes a mental note for himself.

Jack turn to the others being more in focus 'Danger or not, this will be huge' 'allays wanted to do something big in the middle east' 'and use some spare time to dig some good books' 'the black market most be infamously good' he turn to the professor 'tell me Mr.Quilbell' 'you think you can arrange any meetings with people that can turn up with anything interesting? of the record if needed if you know what i mean' Jack grabs his coat and portfolio with some sheets from incomplete books acquired from bookstores and libraries over town.'So first Monday after new year he?' 'if no inconvenience i will take my leave and get to it'... 'unless anyone needs me today hanging around' he walks towards the door.

The Professor looks at you puzzled.
Hmm ... I don’t know .. I think ... hmmm ... we’ll talk. Bye bye.

Once the other will post I’ll role for the library use back at Jack home.

Yog_Sothoth

First Post
Harry decides to go home and prepare for the journey and study abit and prepare an article-editing for tomorrow's paper. As he heads for the doors leading outside, the professor's words ring in his mind. Harry decides to head for the library instead, looking for information on Megiddo. On his way he remembers that the name is not unfamiliar to him at all, but he had heard it more than once before... And not only during his stay in the middle east, but much before that. Harry can't remember how and when, but the name "Megiddo" rings in his head. Like a calling. As though he is not in control of his own actions, obsessed, Harry seeks out everything he can find on the mound called "Megiddo" in the university's library. The supposed place where the ultimate fight between good and evil will take place - as he had studied in the book of revelations as he attended church. Armageddon - the mound of Megiddo, in plain translation from Hebrew. As Harry skims through the dozens of books and pictures he recalls when he first heard that name. It was before Sunday lessons in the church, before his first assignment to the middle east. Much before. It was when he was a child, the night he heard of his father's demise in the battle-fields of world war 1. The same night he asked why his father was taken away from him. He heard the name in his dream, like a whisper. He could barely make out the name then, but now he is sure. There is something to this mound. Something more than meets the eye. Answers, perhaps, answers to so many dreams where this name repeated. Only now Harry makes the connection. It's not sheer coincidence that he is to go to the middle east again, especially to this place. Now Harry knows for sure what to really look for in Megiddo. Answers.

*If anyone desires to purchase stuff prior to the journey he is more then welcome to do so. Don’t forget to update the character sheets in the RG.

Time goes by and everyone retires to other activities and personal duties.

[sblock=Jack Library use]
You search frantically all the night but fail to recover the book. On the following day afternoon you find the book in a small alcove with other paper bundles about war stories.

“United Kingdom’s wars in the 19th and 20th century” chapter 18
The forces that participated in the battle are:
British Empire (Australia, British India, New Zealand, United Kingdom) , France, French Armenian Legion, Arab insurgents Vs. Ottoman Empire, Germany.

The Battle of Megiddo of September 19 - 21, 1918, and its subsequent exploitation, was the culminating victory in British General Edmund Allenby's conquest of Palestine during World War I. British Empire forces made a massive push into the Jezreel Valley from the west, through the Carmel Ridge, then engulfed the Ottoman forces in the valley (mentioned as the site where the Beast's (Antichrist’s) armies gather prior to the Battle of Armageddon in the Book of Revelation) and on the River Jordan. When he was made a viscount, Allenby took the name of this battle as his own, becoming the First Viscount Allenby of Megiddo.
Palestine-WW1-3.jpg

It is notes that for more references you should acquire a book that speak about Armageddon or you can just acquire the book of Revelation
[/sblock]

[sblock=Harry Library use]
After a week Harry finally finds the books that relate to Meggido. He extracts the following important things:
In ancient times Megiddo was an important city state. It is also known alternatively as Tel Megiddo (Hebrew) and Tell al-Mutesellim (Arabic). Megiddo was a site of great importance in the ancient world, as it guarded the western branch of a narrow pass and an ancient trade route which connected the lands of Egypt and Assyria. Because of its strategic location at the crossroads of several major routes, Megiddo and its environs have witnessed several major battles throughout history. The site was inhabited from 7000 BC to 500 BC. Megiddo is mentioned in Ancient Egyptian writings because one of Egypt's mighty kings, Thutmose III, waged war upon the city in 1478 BC. The battle is described in detail in the hieroglyphics found on the walls of his temple in Upper Egypt. Named in the Bible Derekh HaYam , or "Way of the Sea," it became an important military artery of the Roman Empire and was known as the Via Maris.
In some Abrahamic religions, the Armageddon also spelled Har-Magedon, or, in some modern English translations; the Mount of Megiddo), is the site of the final battle (or campaign) between God and Satan (whose name means 'adversary'), also known as the Devil. Satan will operate through the person known as the "Beast" or the Antichrist, written about in the Book of Revelation in the New Testament. More generally, it can also refer to an apocalyptic catastrophe.
[/sblock]

OOC: It's been a while since Insight posted something, I hope he is still in the game.

Remove ads