• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Seldarn Empire - The Mega-Module Jam

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Wednesday, August 23rd, 508 AF, continued

The first arrow flies wide, clearing Durhon's head by nearly a foot, while the second is caught neatly by Yip as it flies past him. The kobold looks at the barbed shaft for a second, then launches himself forward to strike the first gnollish archer. Moving almost as quickly as the agile kobold is Ezekial. HE notches an arrows with a single smooth movement, then lets loose a shaft that buries itself deep in the second gnoll's chest. The two creatures howl in pain, trying to slash at the dancing form of Yip that lurks just outside their reach. Yip sticks his tongue out as he dances away from their blades, infuriating the gnolls even more.

Durhon doesn't give them the chance to act on their greater anger. While their attention is focused on Yip the dwarven warrior bounds up behind the gnolls. The first is quickly beheaded by his great-axe, while the follow-through on his blow is more than enough to bury the axe-blade deep in the second gnolls chest.

"Idgits," Durhon snarls, spitting at a corpse. "Calme't, start wit' the healin'. You.." he points at Ezekial, "..don't go near those doors again. There ain't nothin' but blank wall behind 'em."
"How do you know?" Warwind asks.
"One - if ye do a trap that elaborate, it ain't goin where people are walkin'," Durhon says. "Two - I'm a dwarf, an' unlike certain tree*&^$'s, I pay attention to what the stone be tellin' me."

Healing spells are cast, potions are drunk and a quick search of the northern passage is made. It leads into an oddly shaped room that has six very old beds arranged in a random pattern. The floor is littered with clothes, armour pieces and weapons although there are a few scattered bones and food scraps spread among the waste. Most noticeable is the musty smell of wet fur that hangs over the room, especially in the thin blankets that cover the beds.

"Barracks for the Beastmen," Calmert asks. Both Warwind and Durhon nod in agreement.
"I guess we go back to the intersection and go the other way. So much for left."

Going right turns up a similar room as left - large enough, with three doorways opposite the entrance and a passageway leading to the north.

"If those doors are trapped, we're leaving them that way," Calmert mutters under his breath.

Once again Yip and Ezekial are sent in to scout, their footfalls barely making a whisper of noise as they move stealthily into the room. The room has six beds laid out, although this time they arrangement is orderly and the floor is clean. Small bags of belongings sit on the end of each bed, and an iron lock-box is resting on a small table. The doors are all free from arcane of mechanical traps, but Ezekial finds the telling sequence of runes on the lock-box that indicates some form of Warding Glyph.

"Can you dispel magic?" He asks Warwind.
"I'm a war-mage," Warwind sniffs. "I command mighty battlemagics."
"Right," Ezekial says, rolling his eyes. "I guess you'll all be wanting to take a few steps back then. Unless someone else knows how to do this?"

Once more the thieves kit is pulled free, and Ezekial's skills almost prove adequate to the task at hand. As the Glyph activates, he comforts himself with the knowledge that his chance of disarming it was slim at best and that his quick reflexes are more than adequate when it comes to dodging the flare of acid the glyph fires into the room. Picking himself up off the floor, he can see that the beds and other furnishings in the room are badly burned by the acid blast, but Ezekial himself is fine.

"It's tripped," he calls to the others, waiting in the corridor. "Just be careful where you stand, there's something of a mess on the floor."

The lockbox contains several scrolls, a sacrificial dagger gilded in silver, and several sheaves of paper that seem to serve as part of a diary. Warwind and Calmert huddle over the scrolls, using learning and magic to determine the spells they contain. Ezekial and Yip are sent to scout out the passageway on the right of the room. Durhon sits on one of the less damaged beds with the diary, quietly absorbing the events transcribed within...

Last edited:

Lela

First Post
"Ezekial very skilled," Yip comments blithely, despite a momentary twinge of instinct when he notices Ezekials skills at traditionally illicit arts. Ezekial winks at him.

Yip find friend. Soon Yip die and friend won't have Yip. Friend be sad?

;)

In case no one's noticed, I've taken a liking to the Yips. We'll see how Ezekial fares in my eyes should he dare start overshadowing to true masters of of the Roguish arts. . .

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
arwink said:
Wednesday, August 23rd, 508 AF, continued

Durhon sits on one of the less damaged beds with the diary, quietly absorbing the events transcribed within...

[looks at date of last story hour update]

Wow, Durhon. You read slow.

-z

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Actually, the campaign was sort of hit by a disintergration spell

It failed its save.

Due to some of the scheduling problems with work and the various players (me included), it became near impossible to organise a session whever everyone turned up, so Mega-module fell by the wayside while Copperheads took over as the primary campaign.

Sooner or later, should Copperheads ever actually reach the point of being up to date, I'll probably consider coming back and finishing this.

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
arwink said:
Actually, the campaign was sort of hit by a disintergration spell

It failed its save.

Due to some of the scheduling problems with work and the various players (me included), it became near impossible to organise a session whever everyone turned up, so Mega-module fell by the wayside while Copperheads took over as the primary campaign.

Sooner or later, should Copperheads ever actually reach the point of being up to date, I'll probably consider coming back and finishing this.

I'm enjoying the Copperheads quite well. I just didn't want to miss anything you did. I'm enjoying your writing. I like the take on a 5 charisma character, and always considered them more ugly than all around unattractive for personal grooming etc, that the dwarf is showing. Was that the characters' doing, or more of your illustrating the character?

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Durhon is mostly the players doing, although it gets played up a tad when writing it up. His personality probably be quite this forceful with the 5 charisma, but the other players were having fun so I we ran with it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads