Select 3 new O.L.D. Traditions

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm prepping the new playtest document. I plan to release it early in the week as a last plug for backers.

What traditions do you feel are missing? What would you like to see me add?

Dice4Hire

First Post
I was looking through OLD last night.

I was thinking some kind of craftsman, maybe called apprentice? It has always been one of my favorite starting places for a character.

How about merchant/shopkeeper?

And as for prison, how about calling it Inmate? Or is that too modern? Prison sounds odd as it is a place, not a person. Prisoner?

The game looks very good, I like a lot of the details.

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
I would call Cleric, Druid, and Mage "basic" magic classes, and Diabolist, Necromancer, and Inquisitor "advanced" magic classes, not because the second set are more complex really, but rather because you HAVE to take a "basic" class at least once to qualify for the more advanced classes. That said, it seems to me that the Advanced magic classes are well, if not neccessarily EVIL, at least prone to evil leanings. I mean, even Inquisitor which is the only one of the three that doesn't eventually result in you gaining the Evil virtue (undead are still auto evil virtue if I read things correctly), even inquisitor puts you firmly into the dark side of 'good' at best.

The "I will protect our people by torturing this guy endlessly until he gives me info where is my waterboarding equipment" kind of 'Good'...

So, I'd like to have at least one advanced Magic class that is either neutral without compromised morals built into it, or actually outright "good".

Secondly, I'd like to see a few more light casting classes. Traditions that fall into non-Magical classes like Military or Martial, or Criminal, that have access to a small number of spell lists, or even single spell lists as a class feature. A Spell Sword that can take Evoke [Element] spell lists, and gains powers that encourage it's use primarily as a weapon buff for melee combat. A super-Catburgler class that gets Move Space because Teleporting. And maybe Transmute Ooze at a higher level because melt strongroom door and scoop a hole through. Or, you know, Paladins.

Lastly, as an addendum, I'd really like to see Prison and it's N.E.W. equivalent (also Prison? I forget) have some sort of granted powers, and more skills. Within fiction, and even in the real world, people meet people in prison. People learn new (criminal) skills, people establish contact with not just individuals but networks or criminal organizations. As it stands, the possibility of HAVING to take the Prison tradition each time you take a Criminal Tradition/Career, seems like a punishment to the player, not just a backstory 'things didn't go like you expected' thing.

So, I don't know exactly, but certainly adding things like Lock Picking, Forgery, and other 'criminal' skills to the list for Prison would be a good start.

barasawa

Explorer
traditions

On the Prison tradition that has been mentioned.
I agree that Prisoner would be a better name.
Though it's Prerequisites seem to be rather stiff as virtually anyone can get tossed in jail for an extended period. Not likely to happen to Nobles, they usually get fined, exiled, or executed. Other than that, it happens.

It does seem to be a rather, err, sparse tradition. Sure being sent to prison is meant to be a punishment, but traditions are meant to improve the character.

On to something else. :)

The shopkeep or merchant type of tradition seems to be missing.

Possibly also Apprentice for the various (middle class) townsfolk professions in the starter category. Obviously craftsmen would have apprentices, but with the right skills, it could also cover the shopkeepers apprentice, among many other types.

Trickster or some other name for the confidence trickster that steals your money/land/cow by charisma and making you want to give it to them, even if that desire only last long enough for them to get out of town, to the hideout, or properly disguised and lost in the crowd.

Envoy or Diplomat. Intelligence and charisma are a definite plus to this field of battle where words and documents are more important that swords and shields.

Courier is an idea. You know, those people that travel, possibly even by running, large distances to deliver messages and small packages. Larger deliveries would take a wagon or carriage. I guess that would work with the addition of the appropriate skill. Heck, with the right skills it could cover whatever a horse drawn taxi would be, as the 'package' would be the passengers.

Just a few ideas. Whether good or not, it's up to others to decide. Now if you'll excuse me, this sudden weather change has my head crammed in a vise while some lumberjack is pounding on it with a splitting maul.

Atom Mlatom

First Post
don't see any suggestions I don't like, but if we had to prioritize I would second the craftsman suggestion. seems like you could make this character - craft specific the way you would with college studies.

on the prison subject, my group did find that tradition to be a little sticky as they tried to use it to explain a "prisoner of war" background, rather than a criminal one.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It is done! I've written 'em. I hope to release a new playtest document tomorrow, so you'll see which three traditions I added!

SKid4

Explorer
Of course, this is when I finally think of something.

Would it be worth a whole new tradition to alter the way spells are cast?

Examples:
A “psychic” tradition that requires all spells to be silent and/or still.
A “bonded mage” tradition that requires a physical object for casting (e.g., a wand).
A “ritualist” tradition that requires long casting times.
A “blood mage” tradition that requires a sacrifice for casting.

In creating this list, these now seem to be more like optional restrictions on spellcasting than new traditions. I still submit them for discussion.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Of course, this is when I finally think of something.

Would it be worth a whole new tradition to alter the way spells are cast?

Examples:
A “psychic” tradition that requires all spells to be silent and/or still.
A “bonded mage” tradition that requires a physical object for casting (e.g., a wand).
A “ritualist” tradition that requires long casting times.
A “blood mage” tradition that requires a sacrifice for casting.

In creating this list, these now seem to be more like optional restrictions on spellcasting than new traditions. I still submit them for discussion.

That's a perfect use of traditions. Each would have to be worth taking, of course, and so give some benefit in exchange for the restrictions.

Korth

First Post
so i have started 3 replys and nothing seems to just jump to mind or seems right to me, but here is what i have come up with. i am avoiding the magic stuff as many good ideas have been put forth, so i will stick to non magic:

-craftsman or engineer type tradition for building or disabling things and devices
-battle field medic type tradition for healing and bandaging wounds and kicking some but ... no one ever wants to just heal lol.
-monk type tradition for nonweapon fighting with maybe a special magic of some kind, and monks rock!
-bounty hunter or monster hunter or witch hunter tradition as an advanced ranger traditions, for tracking and hunting specific things

OK so that's what i have for the traditions i would like to see added. so for some changes to the existing traditions i would suggest the following:

-slave not as just a starting tradition, people can become slaves at all points in their lives not just from birth
-the Diadloist and Inquisitor tradition seems like they are very setting specific to me for a open setting game. maybe cultist or something but i like the evil traditions. my players like to turn evil from time to time and having that option is great!
-prison tradition needs a name change and i agree that anyone should be able to go to prison (falsely accused or otherwise) though i do like the criminal traditions have a chance to have to go to jail over just adding it if they want it.

that's my take on it any way. i love the game so far and cant wait for the new play test updates.

Remove ads