• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Self Publishing – How much are your products worth?

Reflected_Shadows

First Post
By the time Twilight was released, buffy had already become "last week" to every degree possible. It had long lost the luster of "new" and the only things in the mainstream that touched Vampires were stuff like Dusk til Dawn and that kind of thing. Buffy herself only appealed to tweenie-boppers, for example, and was limited to the sitcom crowd because most people I knew who liked vampires, when you even said "Buffy" they would rage-fit like a Wiccan when you bring up the movies "The Craft" and "Practical Magic". Yes, it was in the genre and found a small gathering of high school floozies, but actual enthusiasts and people who appreciated the subject found themselves feeling mocked, alienated and hated it. Sure, some people thought it was cute, it was a hit with soccer moms and some 15 year olds watched it right after Saved by the Bell and right before 90210.

Meyer knew her audience, and knew it well. It is one of the things that led to her success - along with meeting a "need" in the Pro-Vampire crowd of having a film that is more like "The Crow" and less like "Dusk til Dawn" to "represent your ideal".

Vampire Fans have always loved The Crow, and many of them long wished for a product that handled Vampires in a similar fashion. Perhaps like Anne Rice (Interview, not Queen) but more in touch with the world. Stephanie was one of the very few Vampire things that in any way appealed to the art-mindedness and appreciation of vampires. Vampires had fallen from Bram Stoker and Interview with a Vampire to those stupid comedy dracula movies, buffy and dusk til dawn. Stephanie found a way to present Vampires in a way that was neither Buffy or Dusk til Dawn - and sought to use visual art within her movies in a way that was reminiscent of The Crow. In my mind, it was nothing like the crow, but I can see where fans get that from.

Unfortunately, all you need to do to be successful in America is have the right financing and advertising. This is the country that pays teachers a wage very close to the wage of prisoners on work release and teenagers at their first job - while propelling Justin Bieber into superstardom. Quality, Depth and Value have no meaning. I wish good, quality content were in demand, but then again, this is the country that makes it easier for wealthy people to create frivolous copyright lawsuits against aspiring artists and win just because the low-income can't afford to litigate - so it is no surprise that we don't have a big flux of new ideas. Why would we make a new superhero if everyone is lame enough to buy Superman 23 and X-Men 19 and Smurfs! The Movie 12? I digress.

It is all so discouraging when you look at, and admit, the real facts and restrictions of trying to get any kind of content published, owned, protected, etc.

Remove ads