Sell me on True20

bento

Explorer
Joe,

I'm mostly in agreement with you.

As far as a rule system goes, everything looks great. If I was to GM for a group of people who never played before, I'd go with this or perhaps FUDGE. There's a lot of talk on the T20 Board about folks retrofitting their current games over to this sytem. I'm not ready to make that leap yet because I don't see a lot of supporting material that will help me with my homebrew game, which has an OA flavor.

GR is preparing to release True Sorcery and True Bestiary in the next couple of months. True Sorcery is said to incorporate the magic rules from Black Company, which I've never seen before. True Bestiary is their port of the SRD Monster Manual, I think. They also released a pdf this past week which ports over all the class information from the SRD.

I also like how they are handling campaign settings.

As for combat being lethal, that's why you have action points to spend and avoid such a fate.

JoeGKushner

First Post
It'll be interesting to see how it flushes out once some of the books come out.

The adept spells here seem very Psychic Handbook.

Black Company spells have a pretty different feel. I'll be looking forward to that book, as well as the bestiary.

And conviction points are limited no? Unwise spending of them, say to emulate a feat (why they just didn't call 'em action points I don't know), could easily lead to death.

bento

Explorer
Conviction pts - you start out with 3 at first level, and gain one every other level. You regain one per day, and I believe an additional one if you act in accordance to your character's nature (from what it says on pg. 25).

You can spend them to shake off stunned or fatigued, improve your recovery check and escape dying. You just have to be judicious in how you use them!

Would you ever consider using True 20 for one of your games?

whydirt

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
It'll be interesting to see how it flushes out once some of the books come out.

The adept spells here seem very Psychic Handbook.
Maybe that's because they share their author! ;)

Man-thing

First Post
bento said:
GR is preparing to release True Sorcery and True Bestiary in the next couple of months.

It's actually "True Sorcery" and the "True20 Bestiary"

True Sorcery is a d20 book - True Sorcery introduces a flexible, dynamic, and innovative magic system that puts eldritch mastery into your hands. Forget slots and spells per day; True Sorcery gives you the power to build spells of your own design, letting you decide how fast, how far, and how potent your spells will be. With these rules, you become the true master of magic. Revised and expanded from the ENnie Award-winning The Black Company Campaign Setting, this system provides new spells, a slew of sample spell effects, feats, and an all-new magic item creation system. The book also includes conversion guides so you can use True Sorcery with Malhavoc Press's Iron Heroes, d20 Modern, Thieves' World, and the hit True20 Adventure Roleplaying game. No matter what OGL game you favor, True Sorcery opens the door to a new world of magical possibilities.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about True Sorcery and what system its designed for.

The True20 Bestiary - The True20 Bestiary is the monster book with a foe for every occasion. Say goodbye to pages and pages of flavorless numbers and useless minutia. True20 stats are lean and compact and that means this book can really pack the creatures in. Inside you'll find fantasy staples, eldritch horrors, bizarre aliens, and more. While fantasy is the focus, you'll also find opponents suitable for horror and sci-fi campaign settings. Illustrated to Green Ronin's usual high standards, the True20 Bestiary is an indispensable sourcebook for the True20 Adventure Roleplaying game

It's not simply a port of the SRD Monster Manual. People could do that themselves.

Remove ads