Pathfinder 1E Sell Me (or not) on PF: IRON GODS

Ell-Egypto

Explorer
Not usually being interested in PF, but Iron Gods has caught my eye.Any reviews from GMs who actually ran it?Players who lived through it ?TIA

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I've only read it but I will reply because nobody else has.

Firstly, you're going to get better answers on the Paizo forums for this adventure path. They have the people who live, breathe, eat, and drink Pathfinder in a way that casual fans cannot begin to comprehend.

Secondly, I firmly believe that Paizo adventure paths consist of 3 really good adventures stretched out to 6 volumes by way of grind-based encounters designed to get you the XP you need to reach the levels you need to be to complete the adventure path. And I say that as someone with all the Paizo APs to date and thus I am a fan.

IG is very much of this ilk but it's still a work of creative genius provided, of course, you don't mind some sci-fi in your fantasy.

It also works really well as the basis for a Gamma World campaign. Frankly, if I was going to use it, it would definitely be as a Gamma World adaptation. And even if you didn't use it as an AP, a couple of the locations - maybe all of them? - would fit perfectly in a GW sandbox.

In short, this is an AP that has a dual purpose: you can use it in Pathfinder or you can use it with GW. I like that.

Starfox

Adventurer
Ell-Egypto, if you say what attracted you to the Iron Gods in the first place, it would be easier for us to say if that is in the adventure path. Otherwise it is hard to add much beyond what is in those reviews and Scrivener's excellent summing-up above.

Puxido

First Post
I've never ran anything involving it, but I'd say just get the tech guide if the tech is all your interested in, and try re-doing the prices, a bit extreme for me.

Ell-Egypto

Explorer
what attracted me to Iron Gods ?

complex question.

partially seeing the modules on the shelf,
partially seeing a banner ad here on en-world.
always liked sci-fi crossover (barrier peaks, warforged)

I am not a fan of PF, so that's why it has to be sold to me.
(but this is not forum to dissect edition prefs
and why I didnt ask in another forum filled with super-fans of PF)

partly I'm already sold on it, but it would be nice
to assess its stand-alone value or is it inextricably
linked to golarian and PF ?

Starfox

Adventurer
If you're not sold on PF, I'd suggest not playing this in PF. Depending on what system you decide to use, this will lose some detail and may be a lot of just a bit of work, but it is definitely doable. I've played the Rise of the Runelords in 4E and Curse of the Crimson Throne and half of Council of Theives in the homebrew in my sig. As long as the game has the spirit and pacing you're looking for, and the scenario has too, then it should work.

So what is the spirit and pacing of Iron Gods? The pacing goes up and down in a cinematic way. Depending on how long you let the investigation/exploration scenes play out, this can be action-movie pacing or X-files pacing. The spirit is that of barbarians poking their noses into the remains of an ancient civilization, and fighting with other scavengers. It is less of an all-out than many post-apocalyptic games, the other scavengers are organized into a huge intrigue rather than rowing bands. There are several memorable scenes, especially in the first adventures, and the feel is epic and cinematic from the start. It has the odd way d20 games has of getting a bit grindy in the mid part, but the end is also suitably dramatic.

The only real fault I can find with it is is that it is not classic fantasy, but that does not seem to be a problem for you.

kemmotar_Veon

First Post
I took a full dive on it... actually I twisted it a lot...
I'm in the middle of a space travelling, stop the galaxy from beign conquered kind of game rigth now...
the whole idea of medieval charaters in a space/high tech setting is awesome, it gives you a weird vibe, a good weird vibe, you get to play robots Vs. Barbarians and thats awesome.

on the bad side you have to thread lightly, the things can get out of hands easily as many weapons and artifacts in the adventure can be really powerful (guns that deal touch attacks, a chainsaw that does 3d6 plu 1/2 strenght damage on the hands of a 19 str barbarian) so I had to be really careful, either you give them enough power to everyone or you risk to crash and burn the balance of the game.

on the bright side it gives a totally diferent look at your game, it's quite cool and easy going, the players keep interested easily, the plot is awesome and you get to hate UNITY just a few sesions after she/he/it comes into play...

if you ask me, is actually one of the best games I have run in years, and I have been DMing for 14 years now

Henry

Autoexreginated
what attracted me to Iron Gods ?

complex question.

partially seeing the modules on the shelf,
partially seeing a banner ad here on en-world.
always liked sci-fi crossover (barrier peaks, warforged)

I am not a fan of PF, so that's why it has to be sold to me.
(but this is not forum to dissect edition prefs
and why I didnt ask in another forum filled with super-fans of PF)

partly I'm already sold on it, but it would be nice
to assess its stand-alone value or is it inextricably
linked to golarian and PF ?

First of all, I think it would be easy to translate, depending on system (5e? 4e? AD&D? Dogs in the Vineyard? - the last one not so much.) it is, however, very Linked to Golarion, as it uses one of its biggest organizations (called the Technic League) as a focus (minor spoiler, but not really). There are several homages spread in the series to the old Barrier Peaks module (James Jacobs, the Lead Designer, is a big fan, as are several of the authors) and a very Sword-and-Laser vibe to the series. With the monster CR equivalency charts from the DMG of 4e or 5e, it would be very easy to convert threats and still keep their Techno-feel but I'd really need to know more about your desired system to run it in.

Word of disclosure - I have not run this yet, but intend to for my home group at spme point in the future - we are currently going through two alternating PF adventure paths by other DMs for the next six months, easy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases