• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Semi-exploding dice?

Johnnii

Explorer
What is the dice system called, where rolling maximum on a dice allows you to to reroll that die along with another, multiplying the dice and potentially multiplying it further (instead of regular exploding dice where you add another die to the die with maximum value)?

Ex roll 2d6 and get a 2 and a 6; reroll the 6 and anither d6 resulting in 3 and 5; for a total of 10 (2+3+5)

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
I'm not sure, but the other question on my mind now is, what are the dice with the explosive potential to take out an eighteen-wheeler called?

Stormonu

Legend
I'm not sure, but the other question on my mind now is, what are the dice with the explosive potential to take out an eighteen-wheeler called?

It's called D4.

On the original question, I think it was the mutinator dice game that used this system? Someone here at ENWorld was promoting it, I think.

What is the dice system called, where rolling maximum on a dice allows you to to reroll that die along with another, multiplying the dice and potentially multiplying it further (instead of regular exploding dice where you add another die to the die with maximum value)?

Ex roll 2d6 and get a 2 and a 6; reroll the 6 and anither d6 resulting in 3 and 5; for a total of 10 (2+3+5)

The West End Games d6 system used a system similar to this, but nowhere near as explosive. Every roll had a special die colored differently than the others (I forget the name of the special die). If that die was a 6, you added 6 to the total and rerolled. If the reroll was a 6, this continued until the reroll was not a 6.

I have seen many variants of this, but I can't think of any special name for them other than variant. What you are describing is by far the most explosive version I have ever read.

Johnnii

Explorer
I'm mostly curious because it's a swedish system that uses it, and was wondering if there was an english/international name for it.

Translating it directly would be "Unlimited dice", but I don't think that is correct.

kitsune9

Adventurer
The West End Games d6 system used a system similar to this, but nowhere near as explosive. Every roll had a special die colored differently than the others (I forget the name of the special die).

The wild die.

Can't tell you how awesome some combats became when the GM or the players rolled a 6 on the wild die and it kept on coming up 6 for the next two or three rolls. So much fun.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads